Help in choosing, Trek Alliant +8 or +9.9?

HotHerps

I really like the looks of the black & red +9.9, but having read about some issues regarding the rear hub on the +9.9 I have been put off a bit.
My local dealer doesn't have any +9.9 models in stock and estimates it might be September before he would get any more....
However, he does have a nice sliver + 8 version in stock that I can buy. I know that there is a couple of Kg's difference in weight between them due to the frame materials and the +8 has a different rear hub. But other that is there anything that I have missed?

I am looking for an electric bike to commute on and to ride cycle trails (people ride road bikes along there so I don't need front forks).

So far I have test ridden:

R&M SuperCharger 2 Rohloff
R&M MultiCharger Vario
Mustasch Samedi
Stromer ST1 LE - Really nice but a High-Speed version.

All of those where at dealers 30 - 40+ miles away. The Trek +8 is in dealers just 7 miles away with very easy access either in my Jeep or on the train... The +8 is calling to me.
And it is £1,700 less than the +8 ... decisions, decisions.

@HotHerps - is it the 8 or the 8s? The 8 has a 500wh battery and I believe is limited to 20mph assist. The 8s is 625wh battery and goes to 28mph. I have the 8s and love it. A few issues to be worked out but nothing with the rear hub and I don't believe anyone with an 8 series has complained about noise like the 9.9.

I suggest testing a Allant+7 or +7s just to experience the front suspension difference. I have found that roads and light trails are smoothed out significantly. BTW, one significant plus about the +7 is the rack is far more useful (vs the +8) from what I can tell. The tail light is also far larger.

Last edited:
D87A6385-41F8-462A-8A1C-0032A835A275.jpeg
3A1F5B4D-226A-46ED-B83A-02D3CD77EAAD.jpeg

I have the 8 and I'm not a fan of the "rack". Is it practical to get one I like and mount it in its place? I'm concerned about where it anchors to the fender and what complications I might expect with that.

I have a 9.9s...it is possible to mount a usable rack
As far as the first post goes...I love my bike but Since OP is limited in speed I would seriously look at the aforementioned 7.

Attachments

• CD1E9387-81CD-4376-9B25-3DF72E93FD77.jpeg
    CD1E9387-81CD-4376-9B25-3DF72E93FD77.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 427
OP? That’s a nice looking bike. I did consider returning my 8S and getting the 9.9 but I wasn’t sure of the extra cost for little weight loss but great aesthetics. I was lucky to get it 5% off and no sales tax already. I get compliments on the red 8S but man I wish it came in that dark blue.

I was at the same place, ended up with 8s.

I thought the weight difference between 9.9 and 8s isn‘t worth 2 grand. And other than weight, they’re almost the same bike.

7 is good too, but battery is only 500w vs 625w on 8s which makes a sizable difference, and the smartphone hub is much nicer than the monochrome LCD.

But I think 7 would work a little better off-road, as the tires on 7 seems to be more mountain bike style, and of course there that suspension fork that 8 and 9.9 don’t have.

I thought the weight difference between 9.9 and 8s isn‘t worth 2 grand. And other than weight, they’re almost the same bike.

7 is good too, but battery is only 500w vs 625w on 8s which makes a sizable difference, and the smartphone hub is much nicer than the monochrome LCD.

But I think 7 would work a little better off-road, as the tires on 7 seems to be more mountain bike style, and of course there that suspension fork that 8 and 9.9 don’t have.
True but one could always change the tires and the fork. I favor that blue color over the red but at the end of the day it’s a bike. I’d be tempted to return my 8S and order the 9 but I hate being inconvenienced. Maybe I’m just getting old.

True but one could always change the tires and the fork. I favor that blue color over the red but at the end of the day it’s a bike. I’d be tempted to return my 8S and order the 9 but I hate being inconvenienced. Maybe I’m just getting old.
I always considered trading my 8S for the 9.9 but couldn’t justify the extra $2,000 for it...

the difference between the 7S and 8S isn’t that outrageous like the 9.9...

I think in the end @HotHerps will be happy with either bike...

I mainly went with the 8S Because the battery and the 10 speed gears. And I like the fact that I can use my cellphone as a screen vs the Bosch ones... I mainly ride paved roads and didn’t feel the need to get the suspension fork, then again I can always upgrade to one later or even just get a suspension Stem or some kind of rigged stem/handle bar that absorbs shock.

good luck on the decision let us know what you end up with!!

I think you can order a 625w as a spare for the +7.

I do not believe that is correct, I believe the battery tube is smaller on the 7.

I was informed they finished installing the dual battery function on my 7s so I will 2 500 watt batteries running, Pick up Monday. I still need a 3rd battery if anyone know a good deal out there. I am checking with Grin to see if the Satiator will Work with Bosch and if they have a cable for it. The fast 6 amp charger from Bosch is not on sell in NA as far as I can tell, advertised to work with dual battery set up though. If Grin doesn’t work maybe just a plug adapter will work with the 6 amp charger in the US?

I do not believe that is correct, I believe the battery tube is smaller on the 7.

While it is true that the 500Wh battery is shorter than the 625Wh battery, the battery space in the down tube of the frame is the same. Therefore Dallant's statement is correct.

The frame (not including the fork or paint) is essentially identical between the Allant+ 7 and the 8 (and 7s and 8s). Both models can accept either the 500Wh or the 625Wh powertube battery. The difference is that to install the 500Wh battery as in the 7 and 7s (also the 8 with the PL CX motor, but not including the 8s with the PL Speed motor), one must also install the following battery spacer to fill in the gap that would be otherwise be filled by the longer 625Wh battery:

Last edited:
To the OP: If it were me, I would get the 8s over the 9.9s and put the $2000 saved toward other uses such as accessories. I just think the 8s is more bang for the buck. But to each their own. Personal preference really. YMMV.

Don't get me wrong though....the 9.9s is a beautiful machine!

I think I may have read on here that some folks may have had some issues with the 9.9s hubs, but I haven't followed the details closely. This may (or may not) have been addressed by Trek.

While it is true that the 500Wh battery is shorter than the 625Wh battery, the battery space in the down tube of the frame is the same. Therefore Dallant's statement is correct.

The frame (not including the fork or paint) is essentially identical between the Allant+ 7 and the 8 (and 7s and 8s). Both models can accept either the 500Wh or the 625Wh powertube battery. The difference is that to install the 500Wh battery as in the 7 and 7s (also the 8 with the PL CX motor, but not including the 8s with the PL Speed motor), one must also install the following battery spacer to fill in the gap that would be otherwise be filled by the longer 625Wh battery:
You beat me to it. The 500 needs the spacer
47050FD3-D71B-47CA-834C-808DB98FAD9A.jpeg
(just behind the battery handle), the 625 does not. AFIK, there are no othe issues with using a 625 with the PLCX motor or the Allant +7.

You beat me to it. The 500 needs the spacer View attachment 61776(just behind the battery handle), the 625 does not. AFIK, there are no othe issues with using a 625 with the PLCX motor or the Allant +7.

Are you saying/suggesting that the 625 battery can be installed in the Allant +7/7S which are delivered with a 500 Ahr battery?

I’m saying that it MAY BE POSSIBLE to buy a 625 and associated parts to create a 625 spare battery for the Allant +7.

Back