Help finding balanced commuter / errand bike < ~$2k

They are $2500 here for 2020 model. Minor improvements over 2019.
20% off is a good price.

Stem or bars are cheap - I nearly always change one other the other to get a comfortable reach. You could probly get them to do that for you. A flat bar or lower stem.

Haibike is discounting 40-50% on SOME models. The big-3 I've never seen that much - usually a hun or two to motivate buyers. I'm jonesing for a Xduro. $2600 for a $5200 bike!

Not a bad idea, I'll have to see what I can do. Right now the $1999 price is the best that I see anywhere on the internet for that model, so I have to imagine that number is already discounted for its being "used".

This catalog just arrived in the mail 30 minutes after my last post... And looking at the picture of the Verve the other addition for this year other than the plastic chain guard is a larger rear light.

Attachments

• 06D7CCC8-9E3D-450D-8AF7-71AB3974A7D3.jpeg
    06D7CCC8-9E3D-450D-8AF7-71AB3974A7D3.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 486
Last edited:
This catalog just arrived in the mail 30 minutes after my last post... And looking at the picture of the Verve the other addition for this year other than the plastic chain guard is a larger rear light.

Whew! Thanks for the heads up. I might have to bide my time then :)

Meanwhile, I've asked the local bike chain to transfer the one floor model to a location closer to my house for a test-ride. So, gradually closing in on a decision 🤗

For those still tuned in here...

Last Sunday I went to closest branch of LBS, test rode the recently-transferred last remaining floor model of the Trek Verve+ in my size. Liked the test ride - nice machine! This was discounted to the $1999 price I noted earlier. I wasn't 100% but definitely upwards of 90%, so went ahead and pulled the trigger, knowing that I could baby it for a few days while contemplating what I'd done, not to mention watch black Friday sales, etc. Basically, bought the bike since it was the last specimen available at a good price, while considering a slight chance of returning it for a full refund.

A day later I took it for a spin around the block in my neighborhood. Riding this thing on streets that are familiar to me is certainly more revelatory than doing a test ride around the large, flat, empty parking lot next to the LBS -- I have no basis for comparison in the latter venue. But when I was back in my 'hood where I know how the (very small) hills feel, I got the distinct impression that the bike wasn't adding as much power to my efforts as I'd hoped.

^ This is a distinct nod to the advice I got earlier - the lack of power in the entry level Bosch motor, I believe.

SO... I am considering backing out, returning this one, and (now that I've had a couple more experiences) reviewing some slightly up-market options.

Right now those options are:
1) Giant Explore+ 4 - $2500 but maybe (?) goes on sale for the holidays; subject to tax since I'd get it locally through LBS; Austin ebike rebate gives me $300 back; would need to change tires to e.g. Schwalbe Marathons and eventually will want fenders. Seems like an all around great platform that could adapt to my needs for a long time, and I understand this "big 3" would be well-supported at many LBSs.

2) Gazelle CityZen T10 HMB - There's an LBS selling these for $2999, which seems like a tremendous deal on this otherwise much more spendy model. Local tax and local rebate basically even out, but it's otherwise feature complete with rack, fenders, commute tires, and generally excellent build quality from what I surmise. Also offers higher class 3 speeds, which I am starting to think will matter to me on the occasional long straights. This is the tip-top of my range and I would only go with this option if somebody made the case that the extra quality or specs really justify stretching what I intended to spend here. In other words, several years down the line, will the extra cost here be worth it?

3) Mod Berlin - on sale for $2201 right now from a passionate local shop that seems like they'll bend over backward to provide support - that is, assuming they survive the current trade war, which one of the owners has told me has been "a killer" for them lately. I think of this machine as kind of a "CityZen T10 lite" - it's feature complete and class 3ish as well (25mph), was positively reviewed and MOD itself gave off good vibes when I visited. They seem to have kept the price down by doing careful work sourcing a custom Shengyi motor and a few other components. I think that would be a slight downvote for longevity / maintenance, but the downvote perhaps gets canceled out by the excellent service agreement.

The MOD is a bit of a compromise because the stand-over height is just a little too much for me, but I wonder if I would simply get used to it. Is being able to fully stand over your top tube (both feet on the ground) considered a hard requirement for common sense, or just a preference?

4) Finally, there are the direct to consumer options, some of which *might* work through a Velofix partnership - still need to figure this out, and how exactly it compares to an actual locally purchased bike from an LBS.

The front runner under this last category is eg the FLX Roadster, which appears to be a light and fast commuter, with a ton of motor power, with a positive review on EBR, various price points between 1900 - 2200 depending on config, and class 3 speeds.

But... the forum is pretty quiet on this brand, and just like any small DTC brand, I have mixed confidence about the future, about what my support situation will be in the meantime, hell even mixed confidence about ordering something sight-unseen that might be difficult to return.

####

SO! Those are the latest candidates in view for me. As before, please share if anything obvious or interesting jumps out to you.

As a reminder, I'm looking for:
- Mid drive commuter with a forward posture (not upright).
- Prefer fenders and rack, must at least have attachment points.
- Terrain in my city is mostly flat, and my commute is very short right now (7 mi round-trip). But should my office location change, etc, the round-trip could become 20-25 mi one day, and larger hills are plausible.

Thanks as always for the continued guidance!

I have a FLX roadster converted to be more like a trail model with air suspension fork and bigger tires, have ridden it set up both ways and I like the motor and the power it offers
the assist it smooth to me, pretty sure it comes with all the attachment points for fenders and rack, but check on that
set up as a roadster it was quick and light, little heavier now

also have a haibike Yamaha and it is a nice bike- just bought a second one of these

have not ridden the Shimano motors but love the brose and the Yamaha

40 Nm on the Bosch seems really low compared to the others but I have not ridden any newer Bosch motors

one thing about power is having too much doesn't seem like much of an issue, you can always turn down or off assist, and if you do have a longer commute later it may be nice to have it
have not used velofix but if FLX uses them for warranty work and they have good reviews In your area seems like you would be well covered

on another note bafang is not known for reliability on getting repair parts, at some point- probably/hopefully years down the road- this may become an issue
I have never had a bafang hub motor problem and needed repair but others can tell you they cannot get parts for some of the older motors- and maybe this is more of a mid drive motor issue with them, I don't know

Bosch Active Line , Maximum Torque Nm :

TURBO: 40
SPORT: 38
TOUR: 35
ECO: 30

Yes, I understand these numbers now. Since this is my first ebike, they didn't mean much to me -- I couldn't tell that 40Nm max was going to be somewhat unimpressive until I got the bike onto streets / hills that I know from personal experience.

Make sure to at least test ride a Yamaha drive. There are good reasons they get high praise, and they are tops in reliability.

Make sure to at least test ride a Yamaha drive. There are good reasons they get high praise, and they are tops in reliability.

If I recall, the Giant Syncdrive is a Yamaha motor system, no? I'll see if I can find one of those in-stock locally.

... and check out Yamaha's own bikes . I heard 2020's are being released soon meaning deals on the current crop .

Hi! If you have a Felt dealer nearby I highly recommend you check out the Felt Sport E 50. I think it checks most of your boxes. I've had mine since June and absolutely love it. It has the Shimano STEPS E8000 mid drive , so it has plenty of power. It is equipped with higher end components such as the Shimano XT 9 speed. It has fender and rack mounts and is pre wired for front and rear lights. It's also available in several sizes. It looks like you should be able to pick one up discounted for around $2k. That's an awesome price for what you're getting. Oh, and it weighs only 42lbs with battery!!

Last edited:
Hi! If you have a Felt dealer nearby I highly recommend you check out the Felt Sport E 50. I think it checks most of your boxes. I've had mine since June and absolutely love it. It has the Shimano STEPS E8000 mid drive , so it has plenty of power. It is equipped with higher end components such as the Shimano XT 9 speed. It has fender and rack mounts and is pre wired for front and rear lights. It's also available in several sizes. It looks like you should be able to pick one up discounted for around $2k. That's an awesome price for what you're getting. Oh, and it weighs only 42lbs with battery!!

This looks awesome! Unfortunately I can only find one dealer in town, and in order to get the bike in the store physically I'm going to have to actually order the bike, and then risk a 15% restocking fee if I don't happen to like it. Wish it was easier to find ebikes in person :-(

Ride1Up seems to have a nice lineup (esp for the prices 😵) but they're all rear-hub motors. I'm looking for a mid drive :)

Did you say you had taken the Giant Lafree +1 for a test ride? Almost pulled the trigger on that bike. Had an auto mode that I really liked, with the belt drive. Only things I did not like was the battery on the rear rack and the display was just small LED dots. The motor was more powerful than the Verve and just as silent. Might be some Black Friday sales where you could get it for around 2K ?

Did you say you had taken the Giant Lafree +1 for a test ride? Almost pulled the trigger on that bike. Had an auto mode that I really liked, with the belt drive. Only things I did not like was the battery on the rear rack and the display was just small LED dots. The motor was more powerful than the Verve and just as silent. Might be some Black Friday sales where you could get it for around 2K ?

I was definitely looking more closely at this one online today, esp after realizing the 1st gen had a belt drive and appeared to be an overall nicer machine than the 2nd gen. I don't see any sales on Giant stuff right now, but am planning to check in my area with local shops this weekend.

If you have that bike you're very fortunate, they're pretty much sold out everywhere. It's an awesome bike and even better now with the sales on.
I guess the new ones are coming with an integrated battery which I don't like.

Last edited:
If you have that bike you're very fortunate, they're pretty much sold out everywhere. It's an awesome bike and even better now with the sales on.
I guess the new ones are coming with an integrated battery which I don't like.
Thanks, I absolutely love it! I feel it doesn't get much fanfare when you consider what you are getting for the price......including how light it is at 42 lbs!

Back