Help choosing a commuter bike

Hoodie

Hi guys!

I was wondering if I can get a few recommendations to start my research for choosing an ebike which I plan on using it mainly for commuting.

Based on a few videos I've already watched here are some things I know I want.

Capable of 20 MPH with throttle only.
28 MPH with pedal assist.
Must be comfortable on pretty bad / patched roads.
Integrated lights.
(Hydrolic?) disc brakes.
Sporty / manly looking. (Not a cruiser or fold up)
The lighter the better. Need to carry it up and down a fight of stairs.
Min 20 mile range on a high level of pedal assist (no sweat) . Preferably 30.
And last but not least, No more than $2500.

Now here's some info about my commute.

My commute is only 4 miles each way, but I do want to be able to occasionally take it to town which is about 12 miles each way, without range anxiety. I will be biking on roads without bike lanes.

My area is very flat so I don't need the power for hills etc.

I weigh 145 lbs.

I would really appreciate your recommendations, specifically what size battery I need, how powerful of a motor should I be looking for, and any specific models you would recommend checking out.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
The carrying up and down stairs is a tough one... but check out the thread on light weight ebikes!

At the end of your range limits, you're asking for 30 miles at 20mph, with throttle only? That's going to take a 20Ah battery. Look for something with 2"- 2.5" tires for the rough roads. It's going to weigh around 60 pounds with that big battery.

Front suspension alone is going to be in the 7 lbs range unless it is an air fork versus spring loaded. For your budget, you'll most likely be looking at the spring (heavier) loaded front suspension. A rigid front fork will most likely be needed to be in a lower weight range. Larger tires can help absorb some of the shock with the rigid fork.

Front suspension alone is going to be in the 7 lbs range unless it is an air fork versus spring loaded. For your budget, you'll most likely be looking at the spring (heavier) loaded front suspension. A rigid front fork will most likely be needed to be in a lower weight range. Larger tires can help absorb some of the shock with the rigid fork.
Wow! I did not realize that the front suspension would weigh that much! My question is, would larger tires be enough for very patched up streets at high speeds?

At the end of your range limits, you're asking for 30 miles at 20mph, with throttle only? That's going to take a 20Ah battery. Look for something with 2"- 2.5" tires for the rough roads. It's going to weigh around 60 pounds with that big battery.
Hey! Thanks for your response! I guess I was not clear enough with my specifications. I just want a bike that is capable of throttle only, not that I plan on using it throttle only. (I know that some bikes do not have a throttle, so I just wanted to clarify that I wanted one.) Also, just to clarify, I want a 20 mile range with a high level of pedal assist, not throttle only.

What size batty should I be looking for?

I have a CCS, it has a built in walk mode you might be able to use to push it up stairs. It does all the other stuff. I think I look pretty cool on the large sized frame in red.

Hey! Thanks for your response! I guess I was not clear enough with my specifications. I just want a bike that is capable of throttle only, not that I plan on using it throttle only. (I know that some bikes do not have a throttle, so I just wanted to clarify that I wanted one.) Also, just to clarify, I want a 20 mile range with a high level of pedal assist, not throttle only.

What size batty should I be looking for?
One of my bikes gets an honest 30 miles at the 2 lower levels of assist, with max assist on a bad hill. It has a 400wh battery, 36 volt. That's 11.1Ah. Another gives me almost 50 miles at the same usage, it's the 500wh, 36v, so almost 14Ah.

There's an old saying which goes something like this with a minor adaptation for e-bikes. And I'm sure many of you know it. It applies to vehicles in general. Light weight, low price, long range / high speed. Pick any 2.

Old sayings aside, I just sold a bike that fulfilled all but the light weight requirement. It was a BBS-HD powered Novara Barrow bike. And the new owner paid only $1000. It would do over 30MPH on throttle only and had 30 miles of range if it wasn't pushed too hard. It certainly would NOT do 30 miles without help from the rider. Nor would it do 30 miles at 30MPH.

Juiced Rider(s) makes a decent bike that would fill many of your needs. You are probably looking at something that doesn't have the big 4 mid-drives (Bosch, Yamaha, Brose, Shimano). I don't think any of those come with a throttle. A hub drive bike isn't as well balanced as a mid drive, but I wouldn't write off hub drive in your price range.

All bikes have compromises. If you are fortunate enough to live within range of bike shops that sell e-bikes, I'd highly recommend you do some test rides. You might find that what you thought you wanted based on a review really wasn't the best choice in reality. I did test rides and went home with a bike I really like and never expected to. I wasn't even planning to ride it, but once I did, I knew that was the bike for me.

And you might consider used. There are lots of 'gear heads' out there that want the latest technology and in order to do that, they sell their not so old bikes. You might be able to find something nice on local Craigslist.

Back