Help !!! Cant get my rear wheel back on

I ride this as a commuter to work. Im lost without it. Got 3000 miles on her and never had an issue other then flats

Ok i just got it in with help from the pace vid. I pedaled fine. Soon as i hook up the motor the and take off the wheel comes right off also when that happens it twists up the wire to the motor. I cant figure this out. I sent email to aventon as well but no response yet
I do not see the torque washer or torque clip in your pics?

You should have a torque washer on both sides of the axle between the frame like these:

torque washer.PNG

If your ebike is similar to the Ariel X you will also have some form of torque arm or torque clip that goes over the axle post and has a nub or bolt hole that fits in to a hole on the frame. That goes on under the axle bolt.

That torque arm will look like one of these:

torque 1.PNG
torque 2.PNG

Those are what keeps your rear axle from coming off the frame when you apply power to the motor because that torque is very powerful.

Last edited:
I ride this as a commuter to work. Im lost without it. Got 3000 miles on her and never had an issue other then flats
Look at the pictures in the post above. Do you have a torque washer on both sides and do you have them facing the same direction with that raised piece at the top?

They have to face the same direction. The raised piece goes to the outside and that slides in to the fork slot.

Also make sure the motor cable is not hanging up under the axle and is loose.

I do not see the torque washer or torque clip in your pics?

You should have a torque washer on both sides of the axle between the frame like these:

View attachment 133393

If tour ebike is similar to the Ariel X you will also have some form of torque arm or torque clip that goes over the axle post and has a nub or bolt holethat fits in to a hole on the frame. That goes on under the axle bolt.

That torque arm will look like one of these:

View attachment 133394 View attachment 133395

Those are what keeps your rear axle from coming off the frame when you apply power to the motor because that torque is very powerful.
I have the washers.maybe i have them in the wrong spot. Where should they be. ? Should it be on the inside of the the wheel then the washer then frame then nut ?or is that washer between frame and nut ?

I have the washers.maybe i have them in the wrong spot. Where should they be. ? Should it be on the inside of the the wheel then the washer then frame then nut ?or is that washer between frame and nut ?
Those torque washers go next to the hub inside the frame.

You shouldnt have 2 torque washers and you won't have torque arms. Go to the video I posted and turn all this noise off.

From your picture it looks like the dropout has been enlarged (rounded off) by running the bike without that torque washer. You should contact the manufacturer. I don't know if your bike was missing the torque washer since new or if you lost it. You might have to take the bike to a welder to add some metal to the dropout. Get a new torque washer.

You can also get some help here:

You shouldnt have 2 torque washers and you won't have torque arms. Go to the video I posted and turn all this noise off.

From your picture it looks like the dropout has been enlarged (rounded off) by running the bike without that torque washer. You should contact the manufacturer. I don't know if your bike was missing the torque washer since new or if you lost it. You might have to take the bike to a welder to add some metal to the dropout. Get a new torque washer.
I was thinking the same thing but was not sure if it was just bunged up.

Thank you for everyones help. Last question. Is this broken ? Can this be the issue?

Attachments

• BB0E95E4-7334-4F88-83BE-1840EACB0D45.jpeg
    BB0E95E4-7334-4F88-83BE-1840EACB0D45.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 165
Thank you for everyones help. Last question. Is this broken ? Can this be the issue?
I have seen others over the years damage dropouts by riding without a torque washer. If you lost yours when you repaired a flat, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that here either. From that angle, it's tough to determine. If the axle is completely seated in the dropout, then yes its damaged. Find a welder that does TIG welding. They can add material. I own a MIG welder and a MIG is not good enough.

I have seen others over the years damage dropouts by riding without a torque washer. If you lost yours when you repaired a flat, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that here either. From that angle, it's tough to determine. If the axle is completely seated in the dropout, then yes its damaged. Find a welder that does TIG welding. They can add material. I own a MIG welder and a MIG is not good enough.
Thx appreciate it

Your own picture shows it. The axle on the brake side isn't sitting in the bottom of the notch. You're also missing a prrtty thick washer. The torque washer is about 3/16" so that forces you to really squeeze the frame to get the axle but tight.

OK. Let's look at your picture. Yikes. If you tightened the nut like that, of course it's going to roll out. Yeah, you're about 8mm off the bottom. What are the arrows pointing at? Is that paper? Probably gouges in the frame.

2_drop.jpg

I do not think it's too badly damaged. I have plenty of bikes which will look like yours when the axle is resting at the bottom. I'd like to see a picture of your frame without the wheel in it to really assess whether it's damaged. It's common in many ebikes to have some slop in the notch. Most aren't that powerful that they can overcome a 12mm nut torqued down to 25 ft-lbs.

Take the wheel out. If there are any burrs in the notch, smooth them down. Axle should slide in. People like me will spin a nut onto the axle and tap on it with a hammer to seat the axle.

If you have to get to work on Monday, you'll never get a torque washer in time from amazon. Is there one on the other side?

If you got some 12mm washers from the hardware store and placed them between the wheel and frame so there's no slack. , when you tighten the axle nut, most of the force will be holding the axle tight instead of trying to squeeze the frame. I think It would hold for a while, but the safe thing is to order a torque washer, and perhaps even go the the extreme of a secondary torque arm.

Thanks for all your help. Since the axle rolls in the drop out it is probably damaged to badly. I will try a torque arm as suggested. If that doesnt work ill bring her in to a bike shop to see if it can be repaired or if its ready for the scrap heap. Thanks again for everyones help. 👍🏼

Thanks for all your help. Since the axle rolls in the drop out it is probably damaged to badly. I will try a torque arm as suggested. If that doesnt work ill bring her in to a bike shop to see if it can be repaired or if its ready for the scrap heap. Thanks again for everyones help. 👍🏼
I think it is salvageable and looks like someone rode it without the torque washer and that torque will tear up an ebike.

A bike shop with a welder can fix that frame slot and put on a torque arm for you.

Nice ebike so don't scrap it away and it can be repaired.

Have a good one!

I think it is salvageable and looks like someone rode it without the torque washer and that torque will tear up an ebike.

A bike shop with a welder can fix that frame slot and put on a torque arm for you.

Nice ebike so don't scrap it away and it can be repaired.

Have a good one!
Thank you. Its been a great bike. Got 3000 miles on her and want 3000 more. Determined to get her fixed

Any luck? If you can't get the axle to seat all the way check if there are any burs in the axle slot blocking it. If there are, use a file to smooth them out. Once you can get the axle seated all the way in the dropout, put the tabbed washers on with the tabs facing away from the hub, then the flat washer, then the nut. The tabbed washers should look like the pic below when in proper position. I'm surprised noone has made a torque arm that picks up the M5 fender mount hole on the dropout(hole just above the axle nut in the second pic).

Attachments

• 20220909_010601.jpg
    20220909_010601.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220909_010904.jpg
    20220909_010904.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 122
Back