Helmets...Wear Them!!!

How do you manage your ability to safely pursue anything when you are in the air falling off your bike? Your daily living skills will be dramatically compromised with traumatic brain injury. No "high ground" here, just common sense
Your sense and ability to manage risk is superior to mine. Good to know.

The tone seems to be that wearing a helmet is somehow infringing on personal rights. I wouldn't tell anyone what to do but I do suggest a good medical insurance policy if you ride w/o a helmet, one that covers long term care

Oh great, more preaching from the pulpit. Can't people just decide for themselves what they want to wear? This is getting ridiculous.

This debate reminds me of when seatbelts were introduced. The Contras claimed that it could be better to be thrown out the window in a crash if the car was on fire or underwater, but the insurance companies did not agree.

Hey, don't wear your seat belt and disable your airbags too. No-one's going to tell YOU how to lower your risk of injury. Got it

Consumer Reports recommends Bontrager Solstice Mips mountain type with visor. I did not check the roadie helmets.They factor price into the equation. The Wavecell helmets are better but much pricier.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports recommends Bontrager Solstice Mips mountain type with visor. I did not check the roadie helmets.

Those are great helmets, I couldn't find one in Canada! When I go mountain biking I wear my old motorcycle helmets, it may look stupid/nerdy but it's mostly rock where I live and one good hit is all it would take at my age and no one can see me anyway.

Like so many heated discussions of late, the divisive helmet issue is raised mostly in the USA.

It never came up in the years I was biking in Europe.

Biking, in and of itself, is not a high risk activity. For the most part, poor infrastructure makes cycling hazardous.

The helmet discussion doubles as a red herring to distract us from focusing attention on building safe infrastructure and requiring car drivers to respect cyclists or face stiffer penalties.

Consider that if we continue to accept the status quo, the money spent on helmets for generations of riders could have paid for better bikeways.

Whether we choose to wear one or not, we could add "let's all work for a future where helmets aren't seen as necessary" to the discussion.

Consumer Reports recommends Bontrager Solstice Mips mountain type with visor. I did not check the roadie helmets.
A good read! I've gone to safety yellow-colored Bell Helmet. I wear it in busy traffic to be more visible. Sadly there are no actual tests published like there are for MC helmets. Surprising test results on Sharp UK, some quite expensive helmets are really poor at protecting riders, making me wonder which bike helmets are actually good at protecting. My good buddy crashed on his pedal bike and fractured his jaw and needed thousands of dollars in dental restoration work.

Attachments

• Bike Helmet Ratings.pdf
    851.3 KB · Views: 635
For the most part, poor infrastructure makes cycling hazardous.

This is the number 1 reason biking has not taken off in the US.
Most of the roads near Chicago and suburbs can be almost suicidal during rush hour. This applies to many other cities as well.

In my mind, this has to be number one priority if we want to create a sustainable future that can make use of E-bikes and other transport modalities.

This is the number 1 reason biking has not taken off in the US.
Most of the roads near Chicago and suburbs can be almost suicidal during rush hour. This applies to many other cities as well.

In my mind, this has to be number one priority if we want to create a sustainable future that can make use of E-bikes and other transport modalities.
It takes strong willed civic leaders with greener visions ...vote for cycle friendly council

Like so many heated discussions of late, the divisive helmet issue is raised mostly in the USA.

It never came up in the years I was biking in Europe.

Biking, in and of itself, is not a high risk activity. For the most part, poor infrastructure makes cycling hazardous.

The helmet discussion doubles as a red herring to distract us from focusing attention on building safe infrastructure and requiring car drivers to respect cyclists or face stiffer penalties.

Consider that if we continue to accept the status quo, the money spent on helmets for generations of riders could have paid for better bikeways.

Whether we choose to wear one or not, we could add "let's all work for a future where helmets aren't seen as necessary" to the discussion.
A future where helmets aren't seen as necessary?.. Maybe if all the bike paths are padded. :)

...In my mind, this has to be number one priority if we want to create a sustainable future that can make use of E-bikes and other transport modalities.

... and to have a healthier, happier population as well as to have a healthy bike industry ...

It takes strong willed civic leaders with greener visions ...vote for cycle friendly council
Yes yes yes. I just visited family in Palmer-Wasilla Alaska. They have bike trails everywhere. I didn’t expect to see this, as Palmer-Wasilla is not exactly urban.
Also rented an ebike and rode the gorgeous coastal trail in Anchorage. Both cities seem to be encouraging bike culture.

If you ride a bike (motor or no motor) you will eventually dump it. If you can't accept that fact I suggest that you don't ride. When you high-side off your bike it's highly probable that your noggin will make contact with something. If you think you can prevent that, while flying thru the air, I suggest that you don't ride.
I hate falling. I’m the worlds biggest chicken. I’ve fallen on my ebike a couple of times, mostly over dumb things, like getting my heel caught in the chainstay taking off.. My motto is “When in doubt, get off the GD bike and walk”, because you may look stupid, but a broken elbow or collarbone looks more stupid.
I don’t like to ride without a helmet. At all, ever. It just doesn’t feel right. But for an adult I see it as a personal choice.

Interesting listen from BikeSnob NYC radio show regarding mandatory helmet laws:

The meat of the argument is from minute 4:00 to 12:00.

Takeaways: Mandatory helmet laws put cyclists at greater risk because fewer people cycle, reducing the safety in numbers effect.
Updated research shows helmet use reduces risk of serious injury only by about 10%. If I have a 1:10,000 chance of getting seriously hurt on a ride, is 1.1:10,000 suddenly irresponsible?

When I see someone riding without a helmet, I fight the urge to judge and am just glad they are riding and adding to the numbers of cyclists on the road, which helps my safety far more than any risk of having to pay additional taxes for their possible medical care.

Back