Helmet, lock and air pump for an e-bike novice

This might be too late but... If you plan to go faster than 15 mph, get a NTA 8776 certified helmet for speeds up to 28 mph. The regular bike/skate helmets don't cut for e-bike speed.
Our brand S1 Helmets, just came out with a new e-bike NTA 8776 helmet https://shop.s1helmets.com/e-certified-helmets/ (a Gardena Brand).
Other brands are slowly bringing those beefer helmets too, we just need to educate more riders about the need for thicker helmets for e-bikes.
Enjoy the ride!

To be blunt, a helmet like that would be a disaster on a hot summer day. For a cyclist who is pedaling, at least. Ventilation on those helmets is horrible. If you are riding a Super73 and you ride it like a motorcycle, fine. But someone exerting themselves riding a bike like a bike requires ventilation. NTA8776 is a Dutch standard that I am sure is technically effective at meeting its local regulatory goals, but not any sort of requirement for USA helmet use.

1682059486281.png

Abus Pedelec + High Speed Bicycle Helmet (NTA 8776). I own one.

20230421_085033-01.jpeg

It is lightweight, well ventilated, includes integrated rain-cover and the blinking rear light. Nothing wrong with the Dutch standard.

Last edited:
My helmet recommendation is the Tactic 4 by Specialized. Meets the Dutch NTA 8776 standard, with Mipps and rated number one by Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech helps test and design Football helmets for the NFL the NCAA and as well as Hockey helmets for the NHL. The Tactic 4 is a good value at $120 or less.

Last edited:
It is lightweight, well ventilated, includes integrated rain-cover and the blinking rear light. Nothing wrong with the Dutch standard.
Certainly there's nothing wrong with it... but looking at the way the standard was presented in the advertisement post, it gave a false impression that the standard was more than it is.

I looked at other NTA8776 helmets and they had a similar no-ventilation approach. It looks like Abus had the expertise to design a helmet that does not suffer from that extreme handicap, shown in all its glory in his screenshot above. Spelled 'bicycle' wrong, too.

Myself personally I'm happier with the ASTM F1952-15 certification (downhill helmets), where they are designed to combat an environment where the rider may be smashing head first into boulders at high speed. But barring that, a good quality helmet should be well-able to protect your head. My Bell Super 3 which is just NTSC did a splendid job on my head-first pavement impact at speed.

... or this add-on visor from Da Brim. Looks dorkier but works great — even 36 mph. Excellent glare blocking. No adhesives required on my ABUS Pedelec 2.0 helmet, but might not grip a smooth spherical helmet like the S1.

As far as visors go, yesterday at Sea Otter the most common solution among the mtb crowd seemed to be the old school golf visor worn under the helmet. Tons of people wearing them in the sun yesterday. You just widen the helmet fitment a bit and the whole thing fits easy peasy.

As far as visors go, yesterday at Sea Otter the most common solution among the mtb crowd seemed to be the old school golf visor worn under the helmet. Tons of people wearing them in the sun yesterday. You just widen the helmet fitment a bit and the whole thing fits easy peasy.
I wondered about that but am reluctant to put anything between my head and the helmet for fear of reducing the crash protection.

Then again, any visor adds a nice lever arm to wrench your neck to the side on impact.

Back