Hello from San Mateo, CA

P

p0ppyman

I'm a soon to be e-bike commuter so I can get out of my car. I've been using content here along with Court's videos to educate myself. Pick up my first of several rental bikes tomorrow at 5 pm. It's a Gazelle CityZen T10 HMB. I'm fortunate to have several LBS in my area so. I'm a proponent of supporting my LBS just like I'm a proponent of supporting my local Fly Fishing shops! :cool:

Hello and Welcome
Rentals are a great way to get familiar with Ebikes. My first rental I was in shock that I rode 20 miles round trip. Blew my mind! Enjoy the ride. You might want to take notes or record impressions, because there are a lot of choices and info out there.

My wife and I have been able to sell one car because of using our ebikes for errands and commuting. That's one less car payment, plus less gas, maintenance, etc. My bike will have paid for itself this month with those savings; another 10 months and hers is paid for. And we're in better health, and we have so much joy in riding. I wish you such happy outcomes too!

Hello and Welcome
Rentals are a great way to get familiar with Ebikes. My first rental I was in shock that I rode 20 miles round trip. Blew my mind! Enjoy the ride. You might want to take notes or record impressions, because there are a lot of choices and info out there.

Great advice, thx! I'm thinking my GoPro might work.

What were your impressions of the Cityzen?

To be transparent I rode the Specialized Como 3.0 with it's Brose 28 mph motor and 650b x 2.3" tires before I rented the CityZen.

To your question. I liked the CityZen. It's a 20 mph Bosch Performance Line motor as you know. I liked it was on the lighter side at ~ 49 lbs. I had a bit of issue trying to get the seat right for me but I have always had that challenge so no marks against the bike but I would have changed the seat if i purchased. The grips worked well for me. The integrated lights were satisfactory for me as tested on my night right on poorly lighted streets. The brakes worked well. The bike climbed well. The Intuvia was easy to use and allowed easy viewing of information.

Hill Climb Test Ride Here

I felt the tires were a bit narrow in particular when coasting downhill where I got the bike up to 28.4 mph. While I remained stable, not as stable as the Como with it's 650b x 2.3" tires when I got it up to ~ 28 mph.

I like the characteristics of Brose motor and it's more natural feel vs. the Bosch which I felt was a bit jerky but I expect when I learned to tune myself to the Bosch motor the ride would be smoother.

I liked the fit & finish of the CityZen. My assessment was it would work as a commute bike and the lower weight would help when lifting onto Cal Train. Seemed reasonably priced for the quality of the bike.

Hope this helps.

Back