Hello from Calgary AB

gfinockio

Hey folks,

Looking to buy a Giant Explore E+ 3 GTA, probably going to wait until next week to order the 2019 version (I hear they made some upgrades).

I have a few questions that I'll ask in the appropriate places.

Thanks!

Hello and Welcome

That is a nice bike. I rented a 2018 model and really enjoyed it; solid ebike.

I am curious; do you know what the upgrades are?

Hello and Welcome

That is a nice bike. I rented a 2018 model and really enjoyed it; solid ebike.

I am curious; do you know what the upgrades are?

Upgrading the brakes (Shimano instead of Tektro) and a nicer colour. Could be more, but I think those are the main ones.

Upgrading the brakes (Shimano instead of Tektro) and a nicer colour. Could be more, but I think those are the main ones.

Yea the Neon Green kinda turned me off. I like this European Explore model.

Bike rack arrow (1).jpg

Hopefully Giant will update like this for the US market.

Well at least the green is a little more subtle, ... or should I say sub,... lime. =D

It's a solid ride. I have the Quick E + and I have no complaints about the mechanics. I just wish I could get on of those racks that comes on the European model.

Well at least the green is a little more subtle, ... or should I say sub,... lime. =D

Oh, jeez... ;)

Yeah, the two "test rides" I took, the motor felt great and I preferred it to the Trek Dual-Sport in terms of feel. The Trek has some nice features (removal display is a big one) but it's $600 more here, and I want something just that tad bit more rugged with the option of a wider tire.

How does it perform in the rain, if I might ask? Is water a big deal?

I have had no problems in the rain. I have been in the rain three times. One time, I knew a really bad storm was coming and I used some masking tape to seal the battery. I got caught in the middle of it and it was a soaker. I don't know if it needed to be sealed like this, but I had no problems. More an ounce of prevention than anything else. I also moved my water bottle to the handle bar because I did not like having the water right over the battery. Again, more of an ounce of prevention than anything else.
IMG_0441.jpg

I went down to the wire deciding before I got a Trek Verve + step through. My factors were my physical conditions, more upright seating and a killer sale . I have had the Trek since mid May and love it. It was a very close decision. You can't go wrong.

I have had no problems in the rain. I have been in the rain three times. One time, I knew a really bad storm was coming and I used some masking tape to seal the battery. I got caught in the middle of it and it was a soaker. I don't know if it needed to be sealed like this, but I had no problems. More an ounce of prevention than anything else. I also moved my water bottle to the handle bar because I did not like having the water right over the battery. Again, more of an ounce of prevention than anything else.
View attachment 23895

I've been in a lot of heavy rainstorms in Miami on my ebike for years... The only times i've had a problem is when the hub gets drenched though a puddle.. It cuts out until the water clears. Not sure if the tape helps.

Best thing you can do is get it inside, preferably in a warm room, so it can dry outand wipe off.

I've been in a lot of heavy rainstorms in Miami on my ebike for years... The only times i've had a problem is when the hub gets drenched though a puddle.. It cuts out until the water clears. Not sure if the tape helps.

Best thing you can do is get it inside, preferably in a warm room, so it can dry outand wipe off.

Yea I don't know if it helped either, but I was going to stack the deck in my favor and do whatever I could to get home in that storm.

Hey folks,

Looking to buy a Giant Explore E+ 3 GTA, probably going to wait until next week to order the 2019 version (I hear they made some upgrades).

I have a few questions that I'll ask in the appropriate places.

Thanks!

Welcome from Texas!

Back