Has anyone used Garmin Edge 130 with a Giant e-bike with RideControl One remote?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
My brother rides a Trance E+ 2 Pro. Currently, the e-MTB is equipped with RideControl ONE remote. Has anyone used Garmin Edge 130 with a Giant e-bike? Does it work? Does the E-Bike Field app work with Giant e-bikes?

I just got myself Garmin Edge 530. It pairs with my Roam E+ /w RideControl ONE remote and recognizes speed, cadence, power sensors. Once paired, it connects to the bike automatically whenever bike is on. However, it doesn't provide additional details from the bike that you can see through the Giant RideControl app.

Seeing that Garmin Edge 130 has ANT+ support, I expect the same on it. What is the E-bike field app?

What is the E-bike field app?
I've heard E-Bike Field is a Garmin app to make displaying e-bike data on a Garmin device possible. So you say you don't need any app for that?

What about e-bike battery percentage?

I've heard E-Bike Field is a Garmin app to make displaying e-bike data on a Garmin device possible. So you say you don't need any app for that?

What about e-bike battery percentage?

PXL_20210705_183843195.jpg

Thank you! I was looking for something like this. Yes, it works with Edge 530 and able to show battery level, assist mode, remaining range. Nice find!

Now I'm waiting for someone who has used the 130 :) Just to prove it works.

I have been waiting for you Dave! Yes, it is 2020.
Here is a very knowledgeable guy on the 130. It has ANT+ so I suspect it would work fine.

My brother wants to experiment with Garmin Edge Explore. Luckily, a friend of ours has ordered that bike computer, so we'd be able to test it. If the Explore works, my brother would be more than happy to order it himself.
@Sunshine2021: Does your Explore work with your Vado SL? Do you use E-Bike Field?

It turns out, I was wrong. You don't need E-bike field to get Ebike related readings. Garmin Edge already supports number of features out of box including battery level, assistant level, remaining range.

I learned that what E-bike field brings is logging of battery level and assistant level over the course of a trip, which is nice feature.

It turns out, I was wrong. You don't need E-bike field to get Ebike related readings. Garmin Edge already supports number of features out of box including battery level, assistant level, remaining range.

I learned that what E-bike field brings is logging of battery level and assistant level over the course of a trip, which is nice feature.
Yup.

My brother wants to experiment with Garmin Edge Explore. Luckily, a friend of ours has ordered that bike computer, so we'd be able to test it. If the Explore works, my brother would be more than happy to order it himself.
@Sunshine2021: Does your Explore work with your Vado SL? Do you use E-Bike Field?
Hi , yes it does :) I am using the cadence and haven‘t tried the others. I can see the battery and assistart level on the TCU so I don‘t need this. Remaining range only works with Generation 3 ebikes with the new Mastermind TCU. On my Vado SL only 1km is shown.
Here is a link to a German side describing more details.

View attachment 92376
Thank you! I was looking for something like this. Yes, it works with Edge 530 and able to show battery level, assist mode, remaining range. Nice find!
Thanks for this picture. I just connected my Garmin 830 to my bike last night and set up the fields I want. I have not tested it but yours seems to work so I assume it will.

I just got myself Garmin Edge 530. It pairs with my Roam E+ /w RideControl ONE remote and recognizes speed, cadence, power sensors. Once paired, it connects to the bike automatically whenever bike is on. However, it doesn't provide additional details from the bike that you can see through the Giant RideControl app.

Seeing that Garmin Edge 130 has ANT+ support, I expect the same on it. What is the E-bike field app?
@conix67: My brother has just ordered Garmin Edge 530 for use with Giant Trance E+ Pro 2 equipped with 2020 Ridecontrol ONE. In case anything goes wrong, I'll hold you responsible! 😉
P.S. He has told me there's a Giant e-bike specific Garmin IQ app. We'll see.

@conix67: My brother has just ordered Garmin Edge 530 for use with Giant Trance E+ Pro 2 equipped with 2020 Ridecontrol ONE. In case anything goes wrong, I'll hold you responsible! 😉
P.S. He has told me there's a Giant e-bike specific Garmin IQ app. We'll see.
If there's a Giant e-bike specific app, I'd like to know. I have not found one yet.

The E-Bike field app has some nice features in premium version but I've had difficulty getting it to work reliably along with other built-in Ebike features in Edge 530. I think the built-in Ebike support is already very nice and sufficient. You get full graphs of cadence, speed, power but not battery level.

I've always thought carrying a smartphone connected to the bike is sufficient but I find Edge 530 far more useful. I don't use my phone to connect to my bike anymore.

@conix67: My brother has got the Edge 530 and seems to have learned how to use it. He's using E-Bike Edge Multifield for the additional e-bike data, Battery % being the most important. Thank you for your advice!

I tested my setup this afternoon. This is using a Garmin 830 with Varia Radar. Works well.

Attachments

• DDBD7857-6B84-4F0B-A435-C37A9B486C40.jpeg
    DDBD7857-6B84-4F0B-A435-C37A9B486C40.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 449
  • E5DBC316-D71E-403A-8AD0-FA0171BD9BD6.jpeg
    E5DBC316-D71E-403A-8AD0-FA0171BD9BD6.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 590
My brother playing with E-Bike Edge Multifield on his 530:

1627528538430.png

He felt miserable as he had no display on his Trance E+ after he broke the EVO display. Fortunately, the bike has the RideControl ONE remote, so Jacek took the plunge and bought the Edge 530. Now, he has access to the wealth of information that Giant couldn't provide themselves...

Back