Has anyone gone from an e-bike with throttle to one without?

I think you are taking the extreme view on this, and making it more complicated than it is, IMO. As others have pointed out, it is similar to using a manual transmission, which becomes almost subconscious in use. I also have a bad knee (only one), and never have to use "high-effort" pedaling from a cold start. If that's necessary, then you're in too high a gear. As for planning ahead, don't we always do that, whether cycling or driving a car (not counting the inattentive idiot drivers)?

Sure, the world isn't perfect, and we do make mistakes, so sometimes we might be in the wrong gear. That is the big reason why I love IGH - I can change gears while stopped. Those using a derailleur don't have that option, so a throttle is more useful to them. One exception that I know about is a combination of a Shimano motor and a specific Shimano derailleur that can auto-shift.

One additional consideration is that many nice ebikes don't offer a throttle (like the Priority Current), so that can limit the selection quite a bit. Another consideration that hasn't been mentioned, is that you can't ride an ebike with a throttle on some trails (as discussed elsewhere on this forum). Obviously, that won't apply in many locations. I haven't ridden with them, but the Reno cycling club specifically forbids ebikes with throttles on their group rides. I don't know how widespread that practice is.

I'm not saying that a throttle is useless. The OP asked for opinions and experiences, which many have shared. Personally, I don't care who has or doesn't have a throttle.

I have never owned an e bike with a throttle but have rented them. I’m going by memory but they were hub drive. I thought either with or without using the throttle they tended to surge some and not be as smooth. My current Trek is mid drive with no throttle and unless I turn the assist all the way up is very smooth from a start and I personally don’t feel the need for a throttle. Maybe if I had some kind of health problem I’d wish for one.

Great question! Can't help from personal experience, but from others' experiences, sounds like you might not miss a throttle if you have a torque-sensing mid-drive, strong legs, good knees, and always plan ahead. In my case, sounds unlikely.

My 62-pound Class 2 has a 500W hub motor with torque-sensing PAS and a throttle. Like you, I use the throttle only for starts and instant bursts of speed -- no shifting or PAS adjustment or forethought involved.

Really value those bursts as a safety feature. Realistically, hazards you might be able to squirt around with a throttle aren't always foreseeable. Great bike infrastructure around here, but also a lot of distracted drivers and kids doing stupid things on ebikes.

In my case, the throttle's also a knee-saver. Legs are definitely getting stronger, but no matter how much stronger they get, I'll still have the same crappy knees. And they hate high-effort pedaling at low cadence. My throttle earns its keep just by keeping my knees out of that regime, come what may.

If you attempt throttle withdrawal, please let us know how it works out.
Today I tried to cross a 50 mph intersection, just using PAS and the torque sensor.

Yeah, not going to try that again. The torque sensor just wasn't fast enough at delivering anywhere near the same level of acceleration that the throttle offers. Especially given the relatively tall fixed gearing on my bike.

Unfortunately, the only way I will know for sure if the lack of a throttle on the two bikes I am considering (Vvolt Centauri and Priority Current) will respond satisfactorily with the CVT and mid-drive is to buy and be prepared for the return shipping cost in case it doesn't work out. Yes, I know the Current can add a throttle aftermarket, but I have other issues with that bike. Also considering the Evelo Atlas, but I am not prepared to push my budget that far as of right now.

I really do appreciate everyone's insight on this, it has been very helpful.

Everybody knows thumb throttles are awesome! They're an advanced ebike rider tool improving safety, navigating otherwise difficult passages, and a get-me-home backup should there be drive train or rider inoperable failure. Broke my hip on a fall. Thumb throttled home. After rain, creek too deep to pedal through? Light throttle across - shoes dry. Slurry silt covering trail which would take out all but the most skilled pedaler, gently glide through tapping the throttle. And on and on... My bike has gears too. All of which I use as applicable.

Its better to have it so that when you need it, its there for you. Otherwise, you do without and like it.

Pretty much the only time I use throttle is in the exact scenario @shappy0869 does. Its a big help; especially on hills.

I rode an analog bike for decades on city streets. Its the 21st century now. I did all my suffering in the 20th. Flying car. Vacations on the moon. Ebike throttle. These are the benefits we enjoy in the 21st Century.
Hilarious! How on Earth did throttles get so politicized?? As a newbie, very hard to fathom. Just one tool among many.

Today I tried to cross a 50 mph intersection, just using PAS and the torque sensor.

Yeah, not going to try that again. The torque sensor just wasn't fast enough at delivering anywhere near the same level of acceleration that the throttle offers. Especially given the relatively tall fixed gearing on my bike.

Unfortunately, the only way I will know for sure if the lack of a throttle on the two bikes I am considering (Vvolt Centauri and Priority Current) will respond satisfactorily with the CVT and mid-drive is to buy and be prepared for the return shipping cost in case it doesn't work out. Yes, I know the Current can add a throttle aftermarket, but I have other issues with that bike. Also considering the Evelo Atlas, but I am not prepared to push my budget that far as of right now.

I really do appreciate everyone's insight on this, it has been very helpful.

I don't think that there is any safe way to cross that type of intersection, unless you had a crossing with lights. Even then, you have to look out for the occasional idiot driver.

My Current has the Shimano 5-speed IGH, so I don't know about the Enviolo. I prefer the discreet gears vs CVT. I've had no trouble using the Shimano from a stop. I'd imagine that the Enviolo would be similar, as long as you downshift.

The Current has more torque than many other ebikes, especially mid-drives. I read all the reviews and watched all the YT videos before I bought mine. I have no regrets buying the Current. It is an excellent ebike, at a price that beats many similar quality ebikes. The motor assist is very smooth, and only gets a bit jerky in level 4-5.

Tell us your location, and perhaps you can arrange a ride on a Current with someone local. If you're in the Tahoe, Reno, Carson City area, you're welcome to test ride mine.

I rode an analog bike for decades on city streets. Its the 21st century now. I did all my suffering in the 20th. Flying car. Vacations on the moon. Ebike throttle. These are the benefits we enjoy in the 21st Century.

I missed this on the first read through. All my life, Popular Science and Popular Mechanics have been promising me a flying car. I still don't have one.

Its better to have it so that when you need it, its there for you. Otherwise, you do without and like it.

Pretty much the only time I use throttle is in the exact scenario @shappy0869 does. Its a big help; especially on hills.

It's just nice to have a throttle. My Gravelster has no throttle but it is light as a feather and I call it my workout bike. I cant imagine trying to get started from a dead stop on an incline with my 60 lb bike bike in 5th gear. No bueno.

The torque sensor just wasn't fast enough at delivering anywhere near the same level of acceleration that the throttle offers. Especially given the relatively tall fixed gearing on my bike.

You bring up a very good point. The gearing matters as much or more than having a throttle or not. Other variables are derailleur or IGH, the firmware in the motor controller and how it responds, etc. It boils down to test riding the ebikes you're interested in, or at least checking the reviews, and comments from users. That's what makes forums like this so useful.

We own one of each. I prefer the non throttle on my Gazelle T10+Ultimate and my wife prefers the throttle on her Fission ST-500. I prefer the Gazelle‘s mid drive. I like an e-bike to “feel” like an analog bike with confidence. She on the other hand uses her e-bike in neutral mode with no pedal assist. She then can use the throttle at her discretion so the bike does not lunge with her unexpectedly.

As far as a tip on starting on a hill;
Stop with the bike going sideways or downhill slightly first.
It will be much easier, once moving turn back up the hill. Kind of the reverse of stopping when skiing;
to slow down, turn around or go back uphill if you haven’t mastered your edges yet.

Back