Hard data to prove E-biking is NOT cheating.

You cannot change the minds of ignorant people.

Just smile and wave at the idiots. It will aggravate to know youre having a good time and they can't affect you.

The same discussion runs in europe.

Especially in the MTB field, the positions are fundamentally different. It's similar like Mac vs. PC - with the difference, that the established bikers see ebikes as a threat. Luckily, for ebike commuters, the situation onroad is more relaxed. Only from time to time, you met a guy who will prove you, he's (in city traffic) faster on his bike than you. Let him race, then you know, you're sitting on a Stromer - and can easily beat them all :)

Check out this 2010 video from Dutch ebike maker Sparta. Cheating? Everybody could use a friendly push. Is getting pulled along in the middle of the peloton cheating? How about a tailwind? An ebike will give you a high intensity aerobic workout, no question about it, plus it's fun. You'll find me commuting to work on my ST2, with one exception. If Cycle Oregon or another week long ride with climbing is coming up where ebikes are banned, I'll train on another bike where it's just me against the wind and the mountains. And no pacelines--that would be cheating!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9bc6Y4T2pY&list=PLR2fx-rSED83R8SntsGN4HM6WXO1MXCPl#t=18

This totally jives with my ebike commuting pattern. No matter if I ride a regular bike, ebike at 50% assist, or ebike at max assist, I'm always pedaling at a certain level of exertion. The only thing that changes is my speed and how long it takes me to get where I'm going.

Also my ST2 allows me to tackle hills I would/could never do on a regular bike - I rode 2 hours today up steep hills - got a hard workout in. Even going downhill I can get a workout - I just go on to recoup mode and adjust it up or down to get the right level of resistance so that Iam always pumping and working out on all but the steepest of downhill grades. Basically my ST2 erases hills!

I am out of shape. So much so that I could not ride a bike because it was just to hard and no fun. I got a Stromer and slowly worked up to being able to bike 28 miles. That was with full power and flat surfaces. Took about 1-2 hours for a ride. I figured that at least I was balancing for my workout. Then I would bike out on a lower power (Tour) and back on Power. Then out on City and back on Tour. Still have a long way to go but I'm hoping to get to the point where I can turn the power off or leave it on ECO. Maybe I'm cheating but it is good as a training tool to start getting me back on track. Sometimes people yell out "cheater" (yea, have fun heckling the fat guy on the bike). However last week one guy said "great pace"!

I am out of shape. So much so that I could not ride a bike because it was just to hard and no fun. I got a Stromer and slowly worked up to being able to bike 28 miles. That was with full power and flat surfaces. Took about 1-2 hours for a ride. I figured that at least I was balancing for my workout. Then I would bike out on a lower power (Tour) and back on Power. Then out on City and back on Tour. Still have a long way to go but I'm hoping to get to the point where I can turn the power off or leave it on ECO. Maybe I'm cheating but it is good as a training tool to start getting me back on track. Sometimes people yell out "cheater" (yea, have fun heckling the fat guy on the bike). However last week one guy said "great pace"!
What a great anecdote! Your story mirrors so many others that have found biking and ebiking to get back in shape and found a great hobby/sport/lifestyle as a bonus from your efforts.

Keep on pedaling.....with some PAS thrown in for more fun, of course.

Last edited:
Back