Harassed by Real Bicyclists

Couple thoughts here @Charly Banana,
  • They were only following you like that because they were drafting and needed a break
  • They are colorblind and with all of that yellow you were wearing they didn't realize you were even there
Okay, jokes aside... I've always found that being friendly and interested is a good strategy for people who are misbehaving. You may feel like "why am I being nice to jerks?" but maybe nobody has ever really been nice to them, they might have had abusive parents or just absent parents. They may have jobs they hate, significant others that are leeching off of them or worse. Being nice is free and often times it can actually make you a friend and then they will feel accepted and stop their negative behavior.

So here's a scenario "punk-ass cyclists tail you and begin teasing about the bike" look back and say "Oh hi! Wow, I love your red Namebrand road bike... I used to have one kind of like that in the 70's, are you guys training for an event?!" and then they say "Uh, this is actually the new Namebrand BlaBla Bike, we're just out for a ride" and then you say "I wish I could still ride like you guys, most of my friends can't ride at all anymore and my arthritis limits me a bit but I've got this funky bike that helps me get out every once in a while, I hope you guys have a wonderful ride!" and then move slightly to the side to let them pass.

Couple thoughts here @Charly Banana,
  • They were only following you like that because they were drafting and needed a break
  • They are colorblind and with all of that yellow you were wearing they didn't realize you were even there
Okay, jokes aside... I've always found that being friendly and interested is a good strategy for people who are misbehaving. You may feel like "why am I being nice to jerks?" but maybe nobody has ever really been nice to them, they might have had abusive parents or just absent parents. They may have jobs they hate, significant others that are leeching off of them or worse. Being nice is free and often times it can actually make you a friend and then they will feel accepted and stop their negative behavior.

So here's a scenario "punk-ass cyclists tail you and begin teasing about the bike" look back and say "Oh hi! Wow, I love your red Namebrand road bike... I used to have one kind of like that in the 70's, are you guys training for an event?!" and then they say "Uh, this is actually the new Namebrand BlaBla Bike, we're just out for a ride" and then you say "I wish I could still ride like you guys, most of my friends can't ride at all anymore and my arthritis limits me a bit but I've got this funky bike that helps me get out every once in a while, I hope you guys have a wonderful ride!" and then move slightly to the side to let them pass.

And if that doesn't work, some Charly Banana peels? Good thoughts, Court. Kill 'em with kindness. No point in arguing or making it worse. I work at a school near a sailing lake and the sailors and power boaters treat each other like cats and dogs. It's all silly.

This isn't exactly harassment but reminded me of our discussion here. This article talks about how Jimmy "Mac" McIlvain is stepping down as editor of Hi-Torque's Mountain Bike Action magazine. He announced this on his Facebook page citing that "he disagreed with the magazine's publisher over the inclusion of what McIlvain called "motorized mountain bikes" in MBA, referring to electric bikes."

Some of the comments are heated... Pedego Electric Bikes said "A person who is close minded and has a superiority complex has no future being in the publishing business. An editor should be committed to sharing not judging. No loss for Hi Torque."

Can't we all just get along!! I actually think that by stepping down Jimmy has highlighted the new eMountain Bike space and acknowledged its growth and acceptance in a way. I also enjoy human powered mountain biking but appreciate the assist for times when my knees just can't take it. I'm a respectful rider out there and my bike is designed to be quiet and not overly destructive on trails so I'm doing everything I can not to spoil what is admittedly a more natural environment devoid of man and machine. I wonder if early "mountain hikers" got upset with the technology and unnatural machinery that "mountain bikers" brought out to what was otherwise perfectly natural... Or if bare foot hikers felt the same way when heavy duty boots and poles were introduced?

Hikers still hate MTB's, Court :). But they hate equestrian users more. I never understood why people get so passionate about what others do. It is irrational. Sp what if I am on an e-bike? As long as I don't pose a hazard to someone else, it is irrelevant. Who cares if that guy ran a stop sign? Do I care if someone is outfitted in Lycra and riding a $10,000 S-Works Tarmac? No. And nor should any of us. And we should get the same respect.

When I got into cycling a year ago, partially for work and partially for health, I went whole hog, because that is what I do. I obsess a bit. So now I have a carbon road bike, a steel tourer, and an e-bike. I put 50 miles on each one on an average week. At times I float in and out of each circle. And the vast majority are good people. It is a shame that the actions of so few can impact the perception of so many. In 20 days I will be participating in the Pelotonia. This is an event where 100% of funds raised go to cancer research at the James Cancer Center at Ohio State. My company will have over 1,600 riders going from 25 miles to 100 miles. All will have raised at least $1,200. The entire event will top 7,000 riders on the streets of Columbus. We raised over $14 million last year. Not a penny to admin or event costs. When you ride, people line the streets with pictures of loved ones, some with us and some not. They will ring cowbells and blast air horns. Cheering and urging us on. It is moving. Last year at mile 22, I saw a picture of a boy that couldn't have been older than 4, who died of lymphoma (according to the sign) and his whole family was out supporting the riders. I almost teared up right there. You can't see that or be a part of this event and not realize that a ton of people who ride bikes are good people with good intentions. I'll be doing 50 miles on the road bike this year, with the goal of doing the century next year. Seems like a small sacrifice for what is at stake.

All that said, I wish Charly the best and that it doesn't happen again.

MarcD, You are a good, caring person! Thanks for sharing your experience with raising money for cancer research. The world needs more people like you. Thanks.

Hikers still hate MTB's, Court :). But they hate equestrian users more. I never understood why people get so passionate about what others do. It is irrational. Sp what if I am on an e-bike? As long as I don't pose a hazard to someone else, it is irrelevant. Who cares if that guy ran a stop sign? Do I care if someone is outfitted in Lycra and riding a $10,000 S-Works Tarmac? No. And nor should any of us. And we should get the same respect.

When I got into cycling a year ago, partially for work and partially for health, I went whole hog, because that is what I do. I obsess a bit. So now I have a carbon road bike, a steel tourer, and an e-bike. I put 50 miles on each one on an average week. At times I float in and out of each circle. And the vast majority are good people. It is a shame that the actions of so few can impact the perception of so many. In 20 days I will be participating in the Pelotonia. This is an event where 100% of funds raised go to cancer research at the James Cancer Center at Ohio State. My company will have over 1,600 riders going from 25 miles to 100 miles. All will have raised at least $1,200. The entire event will top 7,000 riders on the streets of Columbus. We raised over $14 million last year. Not a penny to admin or event costs. When you ride, people line the streets with pictures of loved ones, some with us and some not. They will ring cowbells and blast air horns. Cheering and urging us on. It is moving. Last year at mile 22, I saw a picture of a boy that couldn't have been older than 4, who died of lymphoma (according to the sign) and his whole family was out supporting the riders. I almost teared up right there. You can't see that or be a part of this event and not realize that a ton of people who ride bikes are good people with good intentions. I'll be doing 50 miles on the road bike this year, with the goal of doing the century next year. Seems like a small sacrifice for what is at stake.

Marc,

Very good perspective. thanks.
D

Marc, Do I know you? I also have a steel racer, a carbon Bianchi, a MTB and a Stromer... It's all good and the point is you and everyone else are out there exercising and helping cancer research (or whatver the charity of your choice is).

"...We raised over $14 million last year. Not a penny to admin or event costs.."

Pretty darn impressive bunch to be associated with!

The biggest problem we have to today with charity (in America, at least) is that too many people (now)...know too many people who are indeed 'making a living' at it, as opposed to the above.

Back on topic:
I am completely unashamed to admit that I absolutely love atvs...side-by-sides even more...and am blessed to own both. Most offroad motorcyclists and the national organizations which support them under the false 'multi-use trail' banner...hate us.
There is room on the trails and roads that WE own TOGETHER for everybody be they bike, horse or 'whatever'.

What I found over the years is that no one group of riders ever hates another...unless there is something in it for them in doing so.
Usually, this takes the form of trail 'exclusivity' (supposed god-given 'right' or claim to public property 24/7/365) or just plain less riders on any trail which most far left types will settle for by skillfully picking sides/manipulating the public access process to their own advantage (playing one side against the other).

I applaud the guy or gal who simply ignores them as was pointed out by Charly.

Last edited:
Back