Happy wife, Happy Life!

One thing I immediately noticed: as I pedaled, the bike "pulsed". This was inline with the strongest part of the pedal stroke particularly as I went uphill. It was a bit disconcerting as I hadn't felt that on my other bikes. I assume this has something to do with the fact that I can lift the thing with my pinky.
you’re probably used to the sluggishness of a heavy bike, IGH, the clutches of the motor or the actual motor operation and so on.

you can maximize smoothness by working on the roundness of your pedal strokes (don’t pull up hard, but think about pushing each foot through the full circle at top and bottom) and make sure both legs are contributing equally. also make sure you’re not in too low of a gear - low cadence out of the saddle gives me that pulse-y feeling too, whereas spinning faster doesn’t.

enjoy the bike!

you’re probably used to the sluggishness of a heavy bike, IGH, the clutches of the motor or the actual motor operation and so on.
Yes. Though I don't recall having this on the breezer radar, diverge or other chain bikes I have tried. And I have so far road this one less than any of those. It is possible my peak power has changed dramatically since then.

I think the thing I really want to get to is UDH frame so I can have SRAM transmission. The durability and "shift under load" capabilities appeal to me. I have always found it odd that the time when I need to switch gears the most is also the time when I can't do it without changing my pedaling. Transmission supposedly fixes that.

One thing about "rounding out" my pedal strokes is it will almost certainly reduce power uphill. Whether that matters yet, I don't know.

Just got a break and I plan to go out for a ride.

you can maximize smoothness by working on the roundness of your pedal strokes (don’t pull up hard, but think about pushing each foot through the full circle at top and bottom) and make sure both legs are contributing equally. also make sure you’re not in too low of a gear - low cadence out of the saddle gives me that pulse-y feeling too, whereas spinning faster doesn’t.

enjoy the bike!
+💯
Found the same thing, going from my heavier SS e-bike with 64x20 gearing, to a lightweight traditional road bike when in lower gears, and also with my lightweight SS traditional bike with a lower gear ratio. Go to a higher gear, and not an issue.

Also found that heavier bikes were easier to maintain speed on the flats after getting up to speed.

….

One thing about "rounding out" my pedal strokes is it will almost certainly reduce power uphill. Whether that matters yet, I don't know.

Just got a break and I plan to go out for a ride.

depends - if your output (like most people) is limited by heart/lungs, as long as you have enough gears it will not. spinning while seated is the most efficient way to go up a long hill, by a good margin.

for a peak anaerobic burst you will want to stand up and mash the s*it out of the pedals while pulling up on the handlebars to get your whole core into the action :)

depends - if your output (like most people) is limited by heart/lungs, as long as you have enough gears it will not. spinning while seated is the most efficient way to go up a long hill, by a good margin.

for a peak anaerobic burst you will want to stand up and mash the s*it out of the pedals while pulling up on the handlebars to get your whole core into the action :)
Yes to the efficiency of spinning. If you’re wearing a heart monitor, it becomes obvious.

To sum up: If I can't maintain cadence of 75+ without hitting a performance limit, I really need some more gearing. But, if I can do that, even if the pace is relatively slow, then I am good to go and should just work on performance gains to do it faster.

So, goal for this week: Take this bike on some of these shorter e-bike routes and see what happens. If they are doable but slower, then I don't need additional gearing and can focus purely on a better "feeling" drive train, whatever that means to me. If I can't do that "reasonably" evaluate the bigger cassettes and smaller chain rings as part of my upgrades.

Yes to the efficiency of spinning. If you’re wearing a heart monitor, it becomes obvious.

Completely with you on this. It's one reason I want so much data. I can't wait to get a cadence/power meter on this bike.

To sum up: If I can't maintain cadence of 75+ without hitting a performance limit, I really need some more gearing. But, if I can do that, even if the pace is relatively slow, then I am good to go and should just work on performance gains to do it faster.

So, goal for this week: Take this bike on some of these shorter e-bike routes and see what happens. If they are doable but slower, then I don't need additional gearing and can focus purely on a better "feeling" drive train, whatever that means to me. If I can't do that "reasonably" evaluate the bigger cassettes and smaller chain rings as part of my upgrades.

Completely with you on this. It's one reason I want so much data. I can't wait to get a cadence/power meter on this bike.

yep, that’s a reasonable benchmark. it really doesn’t matter how slow you’re going in MPH up a hill as long as your cadence is sustainable and efficient. for me that’s around a 12% grade, below that my 36:34 lets me cruise up a hill slowly and steadily at 70rpm or so. here’s an example of what happens to me when it gets steeper and there’s no more gears. this 3,500’ climb is pretty steady until the very end, when it suddenly goes to 15-17%. you can see my heart rate jump up and my cadence drop, and if this continues for more than a short distance i’d have to stop.

IMG_4651.jpeg

Am I hearing you right that you’re running a 36 tooth chainring on your Creo?
no, referring to my acoustic bike! 52/36 -> 11-34

i have a 42t on my creo with a 10-42t in the back, so the gearing is very close to the same at the low end. but with a motor those steep 15% grades are no problem!!!!!

That’s what I thought… I remember our discussions when I was getting ready to buy mine. I have the same setup, although I am considering dropping just a little more to a 40 tooth ring in front. I found myself on a 17% grade last week followed by an 18% gravel one the next day, and every tooth counts! I never spin out on the fast end, so I see no downside to trying it out.

That’s what I thought… I remember our discussions when I was getting ready to buy mine. I have the same setup, although I am considering dropping just a little more to a 40 tooth ring in front. I found myself on a 17% grade last week followed by an 18% gravel one the next day, and every tooth counts! I never spin out on the fast end, so I see no downside to trying it out.

i’m not a very skilled off-roader, and really struggle with traction / grip / balance off road at grades over 15% or so, especially once the motor turns on. i guess lower gearing would allow me to take them a little slower, but my skills are probably what require work.

Well, the wife put her foot down. She and I tried to buy a pair of e-bikes starting a year ago. That did not work out for various reasons. Not going into the story here. The important part is she made it clear that she wants to have a bike this season (especially now that she uses peloton six days/week).

Next, she pointed out that I have tried a lot of bikes. And, by far, one of them was more engaging and fun than all the others. One of them caused me to make an effort to ride nearly every day. She said that is the bike we should own. That is the part that matters.

She is not wrong. Despite my quality concerns, we are returning to specialized IGH models. I tried everything I could to avoid them. I simply could not find bikes that are as enjoyable while meeting other parameters.

My wife has a Como 5.0 IGH and I have a Vado 5.0 IGH Step-Through on order.

This thread will document our journey.

*crosses fingers*

Happy Riding!
Enjoy! I have the Como 5 IGH and it is a pleasure to ride

Derrek, you have to take it on your shoulder: e-bikes mostly do not work for you and my friend @GuruUno 😊 Perhaps because you avoid doing the essentials, that is, riding 🤣

I've tried riding either of my e-bikes unpowered and decided the life was too short to ride traditional bikes 😊

I'm setting off for a 160 mile gravel race this Saturday. I was thinking of conserving the battery charge. My brother told me 'Stupid, it is not a leisure trip, that's a race! Put as much of assistance as you can and I will be providing you with fresh batteries en route. Travel light!'

E-bikes love the optimists. They never cooperate with misers 🤣

FYI, that will be Vado SL for the gravel and dirt, and Vado 6.0 for asphalt 😊

Derrek, you have to take it on your shoulder: e-bikes mostly do not work for you
Just IGH ebikes with an enviolo hub. My rohloff ebike is still fine. I have never had any chain based ebike.

You can’t draw conclusions from sample sizes of 1.

Based on what I know today, a tero x with an sram transmission drivetrain would work just fine for me. Unfortunately, that will wait until next year, if ever.

Probably better if you skipped the rest of the thread. ;p
Haha - I finally read through the thread and your trials and tribulations. Sorry to hear about it. Just to let you know I have had no issues with my IGH but I did realise before buying that with new tech comes a risk that I was prepared to accept

Just IGH ebikes with an enviolo hub.
You were the person who needed the IGH the most and now you are riding a chain bike, right? If I can remember correctly, you also insisted your dream e-bike should work with an Apple Watch :) I'm almost sure you would complain on the future Tero X, starting with it's heavy weight; then, you would discover the cranks were reversed in the factory :D Then, your Tero X would turn out to be infested with electronic gremlins :D

Yes, I am malicious now. Would you stay off Specialized e-bikes and leave them to people who are actually riding them please? :D

You were the person who needed the IGH the most and now you are riding a chain bike, right? If I can remember correctly, you also insisted your dream e-bike should work with an Apple Watch :) I'm almost sure you would complain on the future Tero X, starting with it's heavy weight; then, you would discover the cranks were reversed in the factory :D Then, your Tero X would turn out to be infested with electronic gremlins :D

Yes, I am malicious now. Would you stay off Specialized e-bikes and leave them to people who are actually riding them please? :D
If specialized did a better job of supporting their products, I would be riding them. Unfortunately, choosing specialized meant months of downtime. I don’t pay a premium for that kind of experience *even* when it is the “best available”. They need to do better.

If you genuinely think that is representative of a good experience from a good company, that’s on you. Enjoy.

Remember, I am riding, just not specialized ebike products. Apparently flx can make a bike that works. One shot. Not 4 attempted purchases and returns.

+1 Time for the OP to move on as this is the Specialized e-bike forum.

Back