Handlebar options for an Allant....for comfort

GuruUno

On my previous Super Commuter 8 I had installed the FSA Metropolis handlebars and was quite pleased with the comfort. Also the look was OK.

Onto the Allant 9.9, looking for the best comfort for those 40, 50, or more mile rides, I'm searching for that perfect handlebar.

Came across this comparison article and was curious if anyone has any opinion or feedback as to their experience.

I'm kind of going between the Surly Moloko and the Bontrager Crivitz Bar and the Surly Open Bar as the FSA Metropolis is discontinued.

I have the Baramind City, had the Baramind Trek, I really don't see any benefit for vibration dampening, and the sweep back is for me insufficient.

Has anyone any optional suppliers that would have more of a 'sweep' back?

On my previous Super Commuter 8 I had installed the FSA Metropolis handlebars and was quite pleased with the comfort. Also the look was OK.

Onto the Allant 9.9, looking for the best comfort for those 40, 50, or more mile rides, I'm searching for that perfect handlebar.

Came across this comparison article and was curious if anyone has any opinion or feedback as to their experience.

I'm kind of going between the Surly Moloko and the Bontrager Crivitz Bar and the Surly Open Bar as the FSA Metropolis is discontinued.

I have the Baramind City, had the Baramind Trek, I really don't see any benefit for vibration dampening, and the sweep back is for me insufficient.

Just bought a pair of Jones 2.5 H bars today waiting on grips. Will try to post again when I get them on the bike. Jones makes many bars

Here is a similar list with a few additional options... take a look at the Jones riser Loop H-Bar, Velo Orange, Origin 8 Space, and Soma.

Im not sure my goals are the same as yours. Im very offroad/gravel oriented, dont want drop bars but want to be aero on some bikes some times(mainly Juiced CCX)

For me, 15 degree backsweep seems about right. Determined this by resting hands on tops of bars with thumb on top and seeing what position seemed natural

My first bar was a Origin8 Strongbow I put on my Juiced CCX a week ago. It has about 15 degree backsweep and 0 upsweep. I bought it for the CCX which is used for higher speed/longer rides and super windy days (20mph+). Absolutely love the aero position I can get into grabbing the front of the bar. I cut it down to 700mm from 760mm. Wish it had more upsweep but love the aero position ability more.

Just started running salsa bend bars(17 degrees) on two other bikes (Bulls Evo3 Hardtail MTB(740mm) and iZIP Moda E3(710mm cut to 700mm)). These bars also have 5 degree upsweep and are more comfortable that the strongbow and still good for any technical offroad stuff I have done. You can also get 24 backsweep degree bars.

Im going to be putting SQLabs 30X 16 carbon bars on my acoustic 2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy

Note that you might have to try different grips. The grips on my Juiced CCX 'forced' me to tweak my wrists which negated the effects of the backsweep. Ergon 'Fat' GA2 grips work perfectly on the CCX

Last edited:
I’ve got the Moloko on my 9.9. I have not a lot of experience to compare with though I have the stock handlebars on my SC7 and the Surly is quite a bit better, much more comfortable. And more real estate up front (got the surly handlebar bag). Other improvements like the vibration greatly tamped down could be a combination of things like the cork grips, carbon frame etc. The shop did have to redo the Hydraulic lines.

I have an 8S, not the 9.9. However, I plan to get the Kinect stem as soon as it's available. I'm hoping next month is when they'll release it. The seat post has changed my riding comfort for my lower half, and the stem should do the same for my hands, wrists and shoulders. I know this doesn't exactly answer the question of this thread, but it should help with whichever handlebars get attached. kinect stem.jpg

You may already be aware of this, but WhatBars (https://whatbars.com/) is an awesome website for comparing handlebars. You can select the FSA Metropolis and compare sweep, width, hand position, etc. by overlaying any other handlebars you wish to select. For example, the FSA Metropolis and the Jones h-bar loop have very similar sweep and hand position profiles:

Screenshot_20200622-081356~2.png

While the moloko has less sweep and wider hand position (when compared to the FSA):

Screenshot_20200622-081639~2.png

If you really want another FSA metropolis, it seems it is still widely available in the marketplace despite reports of it being discontinued. For example, a quick Google search returned the following options (and many more) from US retailers (I'm not sure how widely available these bars are outside of USA):

I would really like to try the Surly Moloko and the Jones Loop some day. The sweep and additional hand positions and real estate intrigues me.

I’ve got the Moloko on my 9.9. I have not a lot of experience to compare with though I have the stock handlebars on my SC7 and the Surly is quite a bit better, much more comfortable. And more real estate up front (got the surly handlebar bag). Other improvements like the vibration greatly tamped down could be a combination of things like the cork grips, carbon frame etc. The shop did have to redo the Hydraulic lines.

@Mulezen--- Did the hydraulic lines need to be redone when you installed the Moloko because of the short lines due to the internally routed stem on the Allant+ 9.9s? Or was it because of some other reason?

If the Moloko bars were installed on the Allant+ 7 or 8 with the standard stem and longer exposed brake lines, do you think the hydraulic lines would still need to be redone? I realize I'm asking you to speculate on a bike you probably don't have access to, but just your best guess-timate.

Thanks!

The hydraulic lines were too short on the Allant. couldn’t say about the other models though some here will know

Thanks Mulezen.

For others...this is what I'm referring to regarding the differences in cable integration in the stem (9.9 model):

AllantPlus99S_20_30258_A_Alt5.jpeg

AllantPlus99S_20_30258_A_Primary.jpeg

vs. Cable integration in the head tube (models 7 & 8):

AllantPlus8S_20_30265_A_Alt5.jpeg

AllantPlus8S_20_30265_A_Primary.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_132653.jpg
    IMG_20200617_132653.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,028
  • IMG_20200615_190647.jpg
    IMG_20200615_190647.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 755
Nice Jones Loop setup on your Allant 8 @grandmacyclist!

How do you like the handlebar? Did it require any modifications to the cables or bike/components?

You may already be aware of this, but WhatBars (https://whatbars.com/) is an awesome website for comparing handlebars. You can select the FSA Metropolis and compare sweep, width, hand position, etc. by overlaying any other handlebars you wish to select. For example, the FSA Metropolis and the Jones h-bar loop have very similar sweep and hand position profiles:

View attachment 56366

While the moloko has less sweep and wider hand position (when compared to the FSA):

View attachment 56367

If you really want another FSA metropolis, it seems it is still widely available in the marketplace despite reports of it being discontinued. For example, a quick Google search returned the following options (and many more) from US retailers (I'm not sure how widely available these bars are outside of USA):

I would really like to try the Surly Moloko and the Jones Loop some day. The sweep and additional hand positions and real estate intrigues me.

Great app... thanks for sharing!

These Jones Bars are working great on my Allant +8 (Canada). Used them at full length for myself.
Nice Jones Loop setup on your Allant 8 @grandmacyclist!

How do you like the handlebar? Did it require any modifications to the cables or bike/components?
I'm loving the handlebar. It changed the bike completely. It's much easier to corner, gravel ride, etc. I kept them the full width and just used all the components from the bike itself and didn't have to modify anything. It was a bit of a cursing session getting the light/hub wiring underneath, so I didn't pinch anything, but all in all, the handlebar change is amazing (for me).

Just bought a pair of Jones 2.5 H bars today waiting on grips. Will try to post again when I get them on the bike. Jones makes many bars
I cannot believe what a difference these handlebars make! Hard to explain but everything is much better. I am able to ride the bike much longer without pain in my hands, like I said hard to explain but everything is easier. The bike feels as if it’s easier to handle,

Back