Handlebar bike mirrors?

chgofirefighter

Hey guys, I find myself posting lots of questions on this forum. I hope that I am not being too pesty. Looking through fleabay and Amazon, researching bike handlebar mirrors, came across lots of items. Since I'm no expert, I am looking for what mirror will work with my ST2. I find myself often looking left or right to clear myself from any uncoming traffic, or whenever I am changing lanes, etc. It would be nice to have a nice mirror to assist me in doing so. I've seen some nice mirrors that would attached to the rear hand grips on the handlebar, see attached link. Looking for a mirror to be somewhat aero dynamic and reduce drag. Recommendations? Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00168K3I...olid=2FDYLXCLK92TX&coliid=II7H0H437Y62M&psc=1

Thanks

20160702_155813-1024x576.jpg
In europe, Stromers come with mirror as standard; because of legislation. The mirror fits in the left bar-end; and is hinged; so the mirror may be retracted.Very useful when parking in tight places or even when bicyckling in tigh spaces.
Some pictures of my bike & its mirror:
20160702_194739-1024x576.jpg
20160702_194558-1-1-1024x690.jpg
20160702_155728-1024x576.jpg

I've grown to appreciate a helmet mirror. Just snaps on my helmet. The little mirror falls off easily when bumped , and some peripheral vision lost , but I rely on it continuously now. A quick glance , instead of looking downs at handlebars .

Last edited:
View attachment 7371 In europe, Stromers come with mirror as standard; because of legislation. The mirror fits in the left bar-end; and is hinged; so the mirror may be retracted.Very useful when parking in tight places or even when bicyckling in tigh spaces.
Some pictures of my bike & its mirror:
View attachment 7359 View attachment 7362View attachment 7368

So the above mirror choice will work? Europe has different legislation compared to the USA, here we don't need our bicycles to have a license plate, etc which is a good thing, I already own a car and a motorcycle which requires license plates, etc etc which add to the cost of ownership

So the above mirror choice will work? Europe has different legislation compared to the USA, here we don't need our bicycles to have a license plate, etc which is a good thing, I already own a car and a motorcycle which requires license plates, etc etc which add to the cost of ownership

Yes, it works very well. Give a good rearview. My former e- bike was delivered with a motorbike-like mirror. That worked not so well, as less parts of the mirror was on the outside of the handlebar, so rearview was partly blocked by my body.

You are right about the hazzle with obligatory registration and moped-helmet. A lot of non sense rules and paragraphs.

For instance in Norway, e-bikes with less than 250w power and less than 25 km/h motor-help; are subject to 25 % VAT; while e-bikes with more power and speed do not have to pay VAT at all;as these are defined as mopeds. In Norway, there are no import-duty on e-veichles like mopeds, motorbikes and cars. This is incentives to move more of the veichle-mass over from petrol and diesel to electric veichles.

Yes, it works very well. Give a good rearview. My former e- bike was delivered with a motorbike-like mirror. That worked not so well, as less parts of the mirror was on the outside of the handlebar, so rearview was partly blocked by my body.

You are right about the hazzle with obligatory registration and moped-helmet. A lot of non sense rules and paragraphs.

For instance in Norway, e-bikes with less than 250w power and less than 25 km/h motor-help; are subject to 25 % VAT; while e-bikes with more power and speed do not have to pay VAT at all;as these are defined as mopeds. In Norway, there are no import-duty on e-veichles like mopeds, motorbikes and cars. This is incentives to move more of the veichle-mass over from petrol and diesel to electric veichles.

In the USA petrol or diesel is not as widely popular as it is in Europe, I had 3 diesel SUV's and a Golf TDI's LOVED THEM! That's strange, a 250W motor subject to more taxes? Ouch that hurts~!

In the USA petrol or diesel is not as widely popular as it is in Europe, I had 3 diesel SUV's and a Golf TDI's LOVED THEM! That's strange, a 250W motor subject to more taxes? Ouch that hurts~!

Love diesels myself. Who can argue low gas-mileage and tourqy power ? ;-)

The reason for low power e-bikes having VAT; is that these do not need to be registred. All veichles with obligatory registration; including high-power e-bikes have no VAT. This is a way for the government to encourage people to go all electric.
I believe Teslas and Stromerˋs are cheap in Norway because of this.

Love diesels myself. Who can argue low gas-mileage and tourqy power ? ;-)

The reason for low power e-bikes having VAT; is that these do not need to be registred. All veichles with obligatory registration; including high-power e-bikes have no VAT. This is a way for the government to encourage people to go all electric.
I believe Teslas and Stromerˋs are cheap in Norway because of this.

Wait, a Tesla is cheap in Norway???? How cheap are they? :)

Wait, a Tesla is cheap in Norway???? How cheap are they? :)

"CHEAP" may be stretching it; but in relative terms; as there are less taxes to be paid; compared to most countries. The top model P90D costs equivilant to usd 111000 or so. Currently 140 used Teslas for sale in the leading web portal.Screenshot_20160719-093152.png

I've used an Oberon StreetFighter black bar end mirror on both my ST1 Elite and ST2S. They are rock solid and have never vibrated loose in 2000 miles. The mirrors are actually designed for motorbikes, but work great for e-bikes as well.

streetfighter-bar-end-mirror-black.jpg

I've used an Oberon StreetFighter black bar end mirror on both my ST1 Elite and ST2S. They are rock solid and have never vibrated loose in 2000 miles. The mirrors are actually designed for motorbikes, but work great for e-bikes as well.

View attachment 8907
That looks like a solid mirror ! Your body does not reduce rear-view ?
I got the mirror which came with the bike (standard in Germany). But if I were to have a new one; the one you showed would be the type I would look for.

That looks like a solid mirror ! Your body does not reduce rear-view ?
I got the mirror which came with the bike (standard in Germany). But if I were to have a new one; the one you showed would be the type I would look for.

No, just like my car, I always adjust my mirrors to see both behind me and as much to the side as possible. If I can see my car's body or my own (on the bike), then the mirror isn't adjusted outward enough for me.

Last edited:
Ergotec M-99 mirror from Humpert, part number 65174, which requires a bar end adapter, part number 65178.

I'm with Mike, really like the wide view and wide angle mirror of the Mirrycle Mountain Mirror. It sits far enough out to give a decent view and with the adjustable arms, it can be set so that your arm isn't in the way and folded in for safe transport. Not particularly pricey, either, under $20 most places. If you break the mirror or extension arm, you can just purchase those parts separately without having to toss the whole thing; that's unusual for an accessory.

Mirrycle Mtn Mirror.jpg

Any mirror that stick out the end of the bars is going to get hit and moved ALL the time. At least in my garage. I have used them all and have a mirrycle on 2, but they will break in time. (they get bumped out of position, you don't have a wrench so you force it back to where you can see, after a few months of this, it breaks).
The best solution for me is underbar mounts. Out of the way, protected from bumps, they just work. I have to shift my shoulder a tad to view it but otherwise they are wonderful, and the bike can fall over and not hurt the mirror.

Back