Haibike Urban Plus, wobble problem

Right. Well I guess wobbly and tracking straight are two different things. Do your bikes have wobbles in them or do they just lean one way or the other with your hands off ?

Hello @wildlife365,

If your wobble is serious then something is definitely not right. The number of times we see poor adjustments/initial setup issues on both electric and traditional bikes is high these days. The most common culprit is just lack of attention/experience in the assembly and testing of the bikes. I suggest you bring the bike back to the dealer and give them the chance to correct the issue. As mentioned several things can be going on:

- Tire / Tube issue
- Fork issue
- Headset

This should be a fairly straightforward fix for a good shop. If they cannot fix this then suggest trying a more qualified shop.

No wobbles, just the feeling it could veer off in any direction.
this is normal with tires inflated at lower pressure and a steering geometry set more agressive. Basically if you remove your hands from the bar the bike will find a balance between the crown of the road and your weight distribution on the bike and go for it very quickly

a severe wobble (if that is what the OP had) is not normal. It is generally a sign there is some energy being introduced around the axis of the steering stem. Completely different from the bike finding equilibrium on it's own when one's hands are removed.

The stability is dependent on rake and trail. The urban plus has very little compared to say some beach cruisers. It's like the difference between a sport bike and a harley davidson.

hi all. i have discovered, only recently, that my frame is out of alignment. here's the proof. it is out 4 mm to one side. i think this is why the bike is pulling and i am getting a speed wobble.... any thoughts, most appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4757.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_4758.JPG
    IMG_4758.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 437
Interesting photos there, Wildlife. This thing ever fall off a rear bike carrier in it's lifetime, at speed? That doesn't look like German engineering to me. Maybe something I might have seen in that Frey fatbike thread from Endless Sphere floating about elsewhere on this forum, in particular, a misaligned rear suspension triangle to main frame interface points....

The bike looks completely unridable. But I am curious about that rear tire. Why am I looking at several tread blocks and then the rest of the tire is bare? Why does it appear there is about zero gap between tire and lower rear triangle?

Can't imagine a high end bike company like Haibike would allow that thing to be released from the building jig and sent on it's way. Who knows; but your frame has a warranty and by the looks of things you need to make your bike shop known of your findings. Good luck, keep us posted. As a Haibike Full FatSix owner myself, I am curious as to see how Haibike and your LBS protects your personal investment in your purchase!

If you can, can you post up some side, front, rear, top photos of the entire bike?

If anything and it is at your expense, but it can serve as a teaching moment about misaligned/poorly built/damaged bike frames.

hi all. i have discovered, only recently, that my frame is out of alignment. here's the proof. it is out 4 mm to one side. i think this is why the bike is pulling and i am getting a speed wobble.... any thoughts, most appreciated.

Every mid drive will have some degree of offset built into the frame or the mount. The dimensions of Brose, Bosch, Shimano etc may differ from non-drive side to the drive side.
What really matters is that your chain line is perfectly straight, no undue stress on the cassette or the front chainring.

I know Brose and Bosch motors come with certain offset and the frames are usually built around that criterion to keep the chainline straight.

I don't know your problem very well, so can't comment but frame/mount offset is not really a factory defect. it is just an offset to keep things in a certain order.

Every mid drive will have some degree of offset built into the frame or the mount. The dimensions of Brose, Bosch, Shimano etc may differ from non-drive side to the drive side.
What really matters is that your chain line is perfectly straight, no undue stress on the cassette or the front chainring.

I know Brose and Bosch motors come with certain offset and the frames are usually built around that criterion to keep the chainline straight.

I don't know your problem very well, so can't comment but frame/mount offset is not really a factory defect. it is just an offset to keep things in a certain order.

hi ravi, and mike. the deal is, my urban plus mid drive is pulling to one side, and has a speed wobble when i let go of the handlebars. i thought maybe the wheels needed truing, but when i took it to a bike shop, they determined the frame is out of alignment, 4 mm. this may be the cause of the wobble. i rode two identical urban plus bikes, and sure enough, neither of theme wobbled, and one of them had a loose steering stem! so, this must be the problem.... the crooked frame. can't think what else it could be. the other thing is, the ebike store in Toronto i bought it from was selling it as a demo model. so maybe they discovered it was wobbling, and decided to use it as a demo, until they wanted to get rid of it....

my urban plus mid drive is pulling to one side, and has a speed wobble when i let go of the handlebars.

Speed wobble when letting go of the handlebar. That can happen for sure.
It's hard to pinpoint the exact root cause of wobble to frame offset. Did they measure the offset on some other Urban plus bikes?
If you really think it's because of the frame, then they could exchange the bike for you and you could trade it in and get something nicer. I see AmegoEV has some several Riese and Muller bikes on sale.

Hi Ravi and Mike. Actually, AmegoEV in Toronto is where I purchased the bike. Though a demo, it was fully warranteed, and as per their policy, they build and fully test all the ebikes that they sell and leave the shop. So I am going back to them and seeing how the customer support is, on an issue like the one I have.

Thanks to all of you who have been so supportive on this forum! It really helps to speak to other ebike riders. As well, the pictures of the offset frame measurements were taken by a mechanic at a bike shop in Toronto., so it is their pro assessment of the problem, not mine. Hopefully, AmegoEV will be proactive in solving this problem that I made them aware of in October of last year, just after purchasing the Urban Plus from them.

Wildlife365: Let us know how your visit with your LBS goes. Customer support is a big deal, considering we put out thousands of dollars for a purchase like a bicycle. And it's times like these that separate who backs their products from those who do not.

No, SDURO Fullnine RC.
Wouldn't say they were wobbly, just don't tend to track straight hands off like previous bikes.
SDuro FullNine 6 here .... I'm quite new to biking, having only started riding seriously in the past year, but my FullNine doesn't track like my mountain bike. You can feel its heft as you maneuver on it, but at 20+ lbs heavier than my bike, that's expected. I did get ballsy enough to ride hands-free a few times in late Fall on mine, and I was very nervous in doing so. My mistake was doing it on loamy soil or a rail trail, which offers waaaay too much give. A hardpack road surface gives me back my confidence when I go hands-free. It might be obvious to a seasoned rider, but I did learn when not to do it !

Back