Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

Is anyone familiar with the COBI system settings? When you change assist level, the system announces how many km range is left, any way to turn this off? it gets annoying after a while!

rmyers - Are you refering to the audio dialogue? Yes, you can turn it off. Same screen as you turn on charging for the micro usb or adjust light brightness. Icon is the side profile of a head. Toggle through the options of the head. The icon with the voice bubble speaks. Without the voice bubble, no speech.

Converted.

rmyers - Are you refering to the audio dialogue? Yes, you can turn it off. Same screen as you turn on charging for the micro usb or adjust light brightness. Icon is the side profile of a head. Toggle through the options of the head. The icon with the voice bubble speaks. Without the voice bubble, no speech.

Converted.
Great - thanks

Mark, I agree. BTW, I spent 25 years in tech (software) myself before retiring about 10 years ago so I'm sure we both did extensive due diligence on an ebike selection (it's an engineering curse that we will live out our lives making every decision via code or spreadsheet!). I've had my bike less than 2 weeks and I love the thing. I've put almost 100 miles on it (just recreation) which is more than I've put on a regular bike in years. I already am thinking where I'll go next. Would love to try one of those R&Ms with the Rohloff hub some day.

I thought seriously about the Trekking 5.0 myself but really liked the idea of the Super Moto X tires. That being said, I do on occasion bike on roads with speed limits of 45+ (and no bike lane) and the idea of having a few extra mph of a class 3 has its appeal.

Let us know which way you go. Bottom line - go pull the trigger. Pretty soon we'll get info on the shiny 2019 models and the analysis paralysis rinse and repeat cycle (new spreadsheet) will start all over!

I got the Haibike Urban Plus large size for 1200 dollars. Closeout so I think it is a win win situation. Damn this thing is heavy but I am getting use to the motor and it is fun. I did manage to hit 28 mph but could not tell you how I did it since I am 6f 2in and 204. I only hit it for a minute on the straight but it was worth it for my first time riding it. I am glad to say I bought it because I just read this article about Bafang (New Bafang powertrain paves the way for ultra lightweight electric road bikes ) https://electrek.co/2018/05/07/new-bafang-powertrain-lightweight-electric-road-bikes/ and if the specs are true, it will make the Bosch speed mid drive outdated in terms of range, weight, design, cost and performance. Can you imagine a average 17 pound road bike being fitted with a 9 pound motor and battery weighing around 27 pounds?? Half the weight of the Trekking S 5.0 and 13 pounds less the Haibike Superrace and much cheaper?? I can wait and use this bike in the meantime until this comes out! Also if Bosch comes out with their ABS system then you know the Chinese will follow suit and then you will get even more of a wow factor!

Hi, I'm new to these forums though I come here for the reviews and for everyone's personal reviews. I've recently become very interested in getting the Haibike Urban Plus. I live on and island in the pacific and the lowest price I have found is $2500 here. Someone above mentioned Lonestarebikes.com. I checked out the website and they have it for $1779 and that is a lot lower than here. Even if shipping were to cost $300 it would still be a lot cheaper than buying it here. Well, a week ago I contacted them on the phone and they were having phone issues, it kept hanging up on me. The saleslady was very nice and called back. I got her email so it wouldn't cut us off again. I sent her the info on the bike, my address and everything and I still have no price for the bike and shipping. I contacted her 2 more times with no luck on getting the quote.

my question is, finally, does anyone else have a recommendation for a website that sells Haibike urban plus that ships long distance?

sorry to hijack this thread for my question. I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

Hi, I'm new to these forums though I come here for the reviews and for everyone's personal reviews. I've recently become very interested in getting the Haibike Urban Plus. I live on and island in the pacific and the lowest price I have found is $2500 here. Someone above mentioned Lonestarebikes.com. I checked out the website and they have it for $1779 and that is a lot lower than here. Even if shipping were to cost $300 it would still be a lot cheaper than buying it here. Well, a week ago I contacted them on the phone and they were having phone issues, it kept hanging up on me. The saleslady was very nice and called back. I got her email so it wouldn't cut us off again. I sent her the info on the bike, my address and everything and I still have no price for the bike and shipping. I contacted her 2 more times with no luck on getting the quote.

my question is, finally, does anyone else have a recommendation for a website that sells Haibike urban plus that ships long distance?

sorry to hijack this thread for my question. I appreciate any help you might be able to give.

I ordered mine from here:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

After their 3.5% discount, the total including shipping to CA was about $1680. There were a few issues with the bike like bent/cracked fenders. They promptly sent over new fenders and are currently working on the other somewhat minor issues so I am pretty pleased with their service. I've put about 100 miles on the bike so far - pretty darn good so far.

I ordered mine from here:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

After their 3.5% discount, the total including shipping to CA was about $1680. There were a few issues with the bike like bent/cracked fenders. They promptly sent over new fenders and are currently working on the other somewhat minor issues so I am pretty pleased with their service. I've put about 100 miles on the bike so far - pretty darn good so far.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried to order from the website as well but because of my location it wouldn't let me complete the order. That's when I called them on the phone. I will certainly try the website order again. Thank you

I just tried again. My original order was for a Grey bike at 48cm. they currently only have white 43cm bikes. Now I understand.

I got the Haibike Urban Plus large size for 1200 dollars. Closeout so I think it is a win win situation. Damn this thing is heavy but I am getting use to the motor and it is fun. I did manage to hit 28 mph but could not tell you how I did it since I am 6f 2in and 204. I only hit it for a minute on the straight but it was worth it for my first time riding it. I am glad to say I bought it because I just read this article about Bafang (New Bafang powertrain paves the way for ultra lightweight electric road bikes ) https://electrek.co/2018/05/07/new-bafang-powertrain-lightweight-electric-road-bikes/ and if the specs are true, it will make the Bosch speed mid drive outdated in terms of range, weight, design, cost and performance. Can you imagine a average 17 pound road bike being fitted with a 9 pound motor and battery weighing around 27 pounds?? Half the weight of the Trekking S 5.0 and 13 pounds less the Haibike Superrace and much cheaper?? I can wait and use this bike in the meantime until this comes out! Also if Bosch comes out with their ABS system then you know the Chinese will follow suit and then you will get even more of a wow factor!
Hold up where you the bike for 1200 dollars???????

So I got a Urban Plus last week from Amego in Canada. This bike is impressive with the feature list and the current pricing is amazing. Here are a couple of first impressions from having the bike a little less than a week.

1. Motor is very quiet, no winding noise heard and once up to speed ears are drown out with wind.
2. Brakes are excellent. I have experience with disc and I recommend wiping rotor with an alcohol rag to remove oils and grease. No brake noise detected.
3. Loose head tube, that is normal. In order to ship the bike the handle bar is not installed and the mount is inverted to ship it properly. If you just install the handle bar and tighten the head tube will have play.
4. Cobi works flawlessly. I can only imagine that there has been an update to the software which allows better functionality.
5. Bike is heavier, this is obvious but still requires an adjustment to how the bike is handled.

I have some new kit that I ordered to customize this bike a little bit.

1. Jumbo Sasquatch pedals from Pedaling Innovations.
2. 2 new Viro locks with security chains from Laclede.
3. 1 mini saddle bag to hold all of the chain, like from the movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

Issues:
1. Missing screw for front fender, ultimately found screw on reverse side of fork. ( I would have threaded the screw on the front side so it could be seen. imho)
2. Some of the decals have rubbed off and some light scratches on fork area. I attribute this to UPS not properly transporting bike. It states on box not to lay on it's side but that is how I saw them transporting it and moving it around on a pallet. There is more to that story, another time.
IMG_20180615_190829.jpg

So I got a Urban Plus last week from Amego in Canada. This bike is impressive with the feature list and the current pricing is amazing. Here are a couple of first impressions from having the bike a little less than a week.

1. Motor is very quiet, no winding noise heard and once up to speed ears are drown out with wind.
2. Brakes are excellent. I have experience with disc and I recommend wiping rotor with an alcohol rag to remove oils and grease. No brake noise detected.
3. Loose head tube, that is normal. In order to ship the bike the handle bar is not installed and the mount is inverted to ship it properly. If you just install the handle bar and tighten the head tube will have play.
4. Cobi works flawlessly. I can only imagine that there has been an update to the software which allows better functionality.
5. Bike is heavier, this is obvious but still requires an adjustment to how the bike is handled.

I have some new kit that I ordered to customize this bike a little bit.

1. Jumbo Sasquatch pedals from Pedaling Innovations.
2. 2 new Viro locks with security chains from Laclede.
3. 1 mini saddle bag to hold all of the chain, like from the movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

Issues:
1. Missing screw for front fender, ultimately found screw on reverse side of fork. ( I would have threaded the screw on the front side so it could be seen. imho)
2. Some of the decals have rubbed off and some light scratches on fork area. I attribute this to UPS not properly transporting bike. It states on box not to lay on it's side but that is how I saw them transporting it and moving it around on a pallet. There is more to that story, another time.
View attachment 22839

Yeah I am pretty happy with mine - put 150 miles on it already. Can you tell me if your crankset chainring is centered between the two chain guides?

Mine is not centered and is biased towards the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_20180604_222501509_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180604_222501509_LL.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,673
I have taken 2 photos that show lowest gear and highest gear engagement. You will find the chain almost seems misaligned. I don't see this as a problem at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_135554.jpg
    IMG_20180620_135554.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20180620_135504.jpg
    IMG_20180620_135504.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 478
I have taken 2 photos that show lowest gear and highest gear engagement. You will find the chain almost seems misaligned. I don't see this as a problem at this time.

Thanks. It seems like your chainring is perfectly centered whereas mine is more towards the bottom bracket so I get rubbing when I am in the bigger rings in the back

Pedals came in the mail today! Here is a size comparison to the stock pedals that came originally with the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_163016.jpg
    IMG_20180620_163016.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 671

One last question - does your bolt setup look like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20180620_130836327.jpg
    IMG_20180620_130836327.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 575

Marky-Thanks for posting the info regarding the Bafang M800 motor/battery setup. I hope to see the same system applied to commuter and hybrid type E-bikes. This will really open the door for lightweight E-bikes of the future at a more affordable price point, Very exciting news!

Back