Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

Does anyone know if this bike supports GPS tracking if its stolen? From what I can tell, the COBI system only provides GPS navigation and I don't think Court mentioned anything about GPS tracking in his review. I definitely want GPS tracking, and would prefer it to be integrated, vs having to deal with the hassle of having to charge a separate device that could easily be ripped off when the bike is stolen.
No because there is no sim card to notify you like the Piaggio system.

Thanks for clarifying!
I did see some tracking tools you could add to your bike maybe stick inconspicously under your Cobi unit. You can use the same cord to charge your phone to charge it or get a splitter. You could detect activity on your phone in case someone steals it. I doubt most thieves would know what it was and most would think it had something to do with the operation of your bike. It could mimic the Piaggio system.

So far no problems. I just had my wife connect her phone to it and it appears that both of us can have the APP and share the bike. I was a bit concerned about this but it seems to be fine.
Hi! I am considering getting the Haibike Urban Plus—do you all still like the bike and is the COBI system still working or should I avoid this bike? Thanks!

Hi! I am considering getting the Haibike Urban Plus—do you all still like the bike and is the COBI system still working or should I avoid this bike? Thanks!
I think it will be a great buy at that price for what it is offerring and if it fits your needs. There has been many negative replies about the bike but I would ignore them and look at the fact. First TranzX is not a new company, they have been in Europe for years and have been innovative in the market while gaining a sizeable share. Second, they are a Taiwanese company with expertise in their field not a cheaply made Chinese rippoff with spare parts. I think there is a unfair stigma about Asian products from that country that is no longer deserved. I saw the same attitude in the scooter community targeting Kymco, a Taiwanese company, even though their scooters are rated just as high as the Japanese and their expertise was use to build the highly acclaimed BMW scooters. So justing sticking with the facts, you have a very small motor with a in tube battery that can go over 26 miles per hour, go up large hills and connect with the motor/controller by Can bus and with premium parts on a premium bike by a established company name for half the price of some of these other products that don't offer half as much????
I would love to get the Haibike Urban S 5.0 but I also know the bike sticks out like a sore thumb as electric. Would be hard to get over it costing as much as a good used car being stolen then a Urban plus costing less then a third that is almost as good and even better in some things.
I would buy the bike period in fact mine gets delivered today. You will not be hurting yourself in the future. All bike depreciate and being a speed pedal assist, I don't see you losing a your shirt. Customized it to get the extra speed. switching from a 10-42T with a 50T chainring will give you the 28 mph and more. Save your money, spend your time riding and less time reading the arrogance of those who believe only certain motors are the premium ones. Bosch and Yamaha love it when they are consider to be the best, that means they can become slow to inovate and people will buy their product regardless. Fortunately, Brose, Shimano, TranzX and others have made them had to compete. I believe the same has been proven by Hyundai against Mercedes, BMW and Lexus when out of nowhere it became rated the best luxury car division.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is just me, but I really like the Cobi systems. I like the technology. Everything is integrated. I like listening to music when I ride, so I got the Sena X1 helmet. I also have 'tasker' on my Note 8 phone, so I just turn on my helmet and everything fires up, ready to go.
The build quality on the bike is also top notch. For me, it was the best choice. The price - icing on the cake!

Well, I've raised some concerns about the Tranzx motor in earlier posts. And I certainly wish everyone who has purchased the bike the best of luck. There is no doubt it is a great looking bike, in either color. And overall nice components too.

I think most people realize that Taiwanese quality is very high. And you're right that Tranzx has been around for awhile. But they are not motor experts like Bosch/Yamaha/Brose. They're known for handlebars, kickstands, stems, etc. I've been told the M25GTS is being discontinued. But let's say that's incorrect. It was already a rare choice by any bike manufacturer and it certainly looks like Accell (iZip and Haibike) are no longer going to use it even if the motor lives on.

You're right all ebikes depreciate. And the Urban Plus was my choice for weeks until I really starting looking as 2017 Haibike Sduro/Xduro closeouts. If the Yamaha/Brose/Bosch motors would have cost thousands more upfront, I may have also taken the risk on the Tranzx. But I found a Bosch CX bike for only hundreds more. What would you rather be trying to sell in 2 years when the upgrade itch hits? A bike with a Tranzx motor which is no longer even discussed (if it still made) or a Bosch/Yamaha bike? Whatever small price premium you pay upfront now, you will likely get that all back if/when you decide to sell.

Again, I love the Urban Plus and I really hope everyone gets years of great service and fun from them (as well as the ProTour). I'm just trying to present the other side of the argument for those on the fence. You would do yourself an injustice if you at least didn't consider your other options and understand the tradeoffs. And I know that it is getting tougher to find other 2017 closeouts (and in the right size), but I'm sure there are still some out there.

Well, I've raised some concerns about the Tranzx motor in earlier posts. And I certainly wish everyone who has purchased the bike the best of luck. There is no doubt it is a great looking bike, in either color. And overall nice components too.

I think most people realize that Taiwanese quality is very high. And you're right that Tranzx has been around for awhile. But they are not motor experts like Bosch/Yamaha/Brose. They're known for handlebars, kickstands, stems, etc. I've been told the M25GTS is being discontinued. But let's say that's incorrect. It was already a rare choice by any bike manufacturer and it certainly looks like Accell (iZip and Haibike) are no longer going to use it even if the motor lives on.

You're right all ebikes depreciate. And the Urban Plus was my choice for weeks until I really starting looking as 2017 Haibike Sduro/Xduro closeouts. If the Yamaha/Brose/Bosch motors would have cost thousands more upfront, I may have also taken the risk on the Tranzx. But I found a Bosch CX bike for only hundreds more. What would you rather be trying to sell in 2 years when the upgrade itch hits? A bike with a Tranzx motor which is no longer even discussed (if it still made) or a Bosch/Yamaha bike? Whatever small price premium you pay upfront now, you will likely get that all back if/when you decide to sell.

Again, I love the Urban Plus and I really hope everyone gets years of great service and fun from them (as well as the ProTour). I'm just trying to present the other side of the argument for those on the fence. You would do yourself an injustice if you at least didn't consider your other options and understand the tradeoffs. And I know that it is getting tougher to find other 2017 closeouts (and in the right size), but I'm sure there are still some out there.

Somewhere on the forum, it was mentioned that COBI is no longer providing support in the USA. That would be a concern for me with this bike. Great bike, great components, sure, however, now with a motor that will possibly be discontinued just adds to other concerns. Just like some Specialized past E-bikes that are no longer getting support: could this happen with the future of the TransX motors as well? I personally would stick with a well known established brand that has the support when you may need it. Love the bike though...

I agree but I think your analogy is wrong in two perspectives.

1st. The M25 IS NOT BEING DISCONTINUED BY THE MANUFACTURER!!!! The M25 is being discontinued by the Accell group to concentrate on a few prime motors. Haibike is now using only Bosch and Yamaha to define the Xduro and Sduro lines. It was purely a business decision based on marketing. It will be the same in a year or two about their exterior motors to the Powertube or decisions to outdate their 400 batteries to 500. Doesn't mean anything was wrong with the previous models or that they or not being produced but to keep up technically they will have to innovate as the market demands. this leads to my second disagreement respectively...

2nd. The Haibike 7,000 dollar bikes of three years ago are not inferior to bikes now but changes in battery and design have viewed them outdated even though a change in battery and few component would make them almost the same quality as a 5,000 dollar bike now. I wouldn't get caught up in a who has what unless the specs fits your purposes. The Bosch CX is a good motor, I like the performance line for the speed myself. Yet I know, I went on the Haibike USA and saw a Urban S RX I was contemplating buying for 3200 regularly 5000 when it came out in 2016. Almost was going to buy it but saw it had the 400 battery and thankfully someone snatched it up before I would make that mistake. I then saw a Urban S 5.0 with the 500 battery and almost same specs for 3400 on one site where everyone else was selling it for 4600. So in theory, the RX is almost the same as the 5.0, cost more with a more limited battery selling new at a 1800 loss. It proves my point. (Whatever small price premium you pay upfront now, you will likely get that all back if/when you decide to sell.) No you don't get it back. If it was used then it would have sold for a lot less. People would have saw it as a old e-bike and judge the new 5.0 with the newer battery superior even though the differences are mainly in the battery capacity. The price you pay now at 3800 may be reflected in bikes at 2500 to 2000 in a couple of years. I don't see you gaining much more in resale when competing against those bikes as new.

Last edited:
Forgot to add. For a 1700 dollar bike I make take a loss of 600 to even a 1000 dollars a few years from now is fine with me. I know I am never going to get my money back but I know I won't be crying after the resale! For the features, I am still ahead of those people who paid high money, for example, the Sduro Trekking models that went for 3000 to 3500 brand new a couple of years ago to almost half the price as new today. Imagine the resale value of the model if one is trying to sell it used! :(

Marky, not wanting to get into an argument with you, but the info that I received was that Tranzx itself was discontinuing the motor. I even sought clarification from the source that gave me the info because I also initially thought he was referring to just Haibike and he was not. I tried to verify the claim directly with Tranzx itself and never got a response. Your use of CAPS does not make the opposite true unless you're employed by Tranzx and have inside info. So neither of us knows for sure. In a year or two from now, we'll likely know the answer for sure. All we know now is that virtually no one uses that motor (and the few that were are discontinuing it) for whatever reason, regardless of whether or not it is technically competitive.

You were glad you didn't make a mistake when almost purchasing a different bike. So was I. I was ready to purchase the Urban Plus early on in my research, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Loved the look, the stealthy motor, the COBI, etc. It wasn't until I spent more time and evaluated all of the alternatives, and talked with numerous dealers, that I realized that wasn't a wise choice, for me. That would be my only recommendation to members like mstotes and others on the fence. Know your options and tradeoffs, make a purchase that works for you, and have fun!

Forgot to add. For a 1700 dollar bike I make take a loss of 600 to even a 1000 dollars a few years from now is fine with me. I know I am never going to get my money back but I know I won't be crying after the resale! For the features, I am still ahead of those people who paid high money, for example, the Sduro Trekking models that went for 3000 to 3500 brand new a couple of years ago to almost half the price as new today. Imagine the resale value of the model if one is trying to sell it used! :(
You're right, except that you could have purchased a closeout 2017 Sduro for $1800...at $1800 what do you think will retain more of its value, the Sduro or the Urban Plus? You keep comparing the original RRP of Xduro/Sduro models to the discounted price of the UP - that argument makes no sense. You need to compare one discounted bike against the other. It's like you are now trying to rationalize your decision. Just be glad you bought a bike you like (some people on here have been researching for a year and still haven't made a purchase!) and have fun with it.

You're right, except that you could have purchased a closeout 2017 Sduro for $1800...at $1800 what do you think will retain more of its value, the Sduro or the Urban Plus? You keep comparing the original RRP of Xduro/Sduro models to the discounted price of the UP - that argument makes no sense. You need to compare one discounted bike against the other. It's like you are now trying to rationalize your decision. Just be glad you bought a bike you like (some people on here have been researching for a year and still haven't made a purchase!) and have fun with it.

Exactly-We are not buying commodities here. These are E-bikes. Yes, an investment to a degree, however certainly not something to make money on by no means if you are strictly purchasing for riding pleasure. If you are a seller, much different set of circumstances. Buy what you are comfortable with, and enjoy the ride. You are getting so much back from your purchase from just riding it one or two seasons, and has entirely paid for itself in pure pleasure and enjoyment IMHO. ;)

Marky, not wanting to get into an argument with you, but the info that I received was that Tranzx itself was discontinuing the motor. I even sought clarification from the source that gave me the info because I also initially thought he was referring to just Haibike and he was not. I tried to verify the claim directly with Tranzx itself and never got a response. Your use of CAPS does not make the opposite true unless you're employed by Tranzx and have inside info. So neither of us knows for sure. In a year or two from now, we'll likely know the answer for sure. All we know now is that virtually no one uses that motor (and the few that were are discontinuing it) for whatever reason, regardless of whether or not it is technically competitive.

You were glad you didn't make a mistake when almost purchasing a different bike. So was I. I was ready to purchase the Urban Plus early on in my research, almost to the exclusion of everything else. Loved the look, the stealthy motor, the COBI, etc. It wasn't until I spent more time and evaluated all of the alternatives, and talked with numerous dealers, that I realized that wasn't a wise choice, for me. That would be my only recommendation to members like mstotes and others on the fence. Know your options and tradeoffs, make a purchase that works for you, and have fun!
I am not employed by TranzX and I don't think we are arguing, certainly not me. I think we are in agreement on quite a bit but differ on some. I am not saying I am right, in fact, this forum gives me a lot to think about and compare. I simply don't fall for innuendoes and rumor unless I find out from the source first. When you say no one uses the motor and I see that it is being used in other countries, I have to beg to differ. When someone says Cobi is being phased out in the US and I reach Cohi and they say it is false then I have to comment. Rather then feel we are argueing then lets work together to dispel fact versus rumor. You made some good points which I agree. Bosch is a better motor then the TranZX and more popular. I am still interested in the Trekking S 5.0 but had heard from bike shops that it is hard to hit 28 mph on the bike more like 23 to 24. If the Urban Plus can hit 26 as many have noted on here then that is a win for those who own it. As for my thoughts about resale, the idea was posted before on this forum maybe not this thread about the ecnomics of owning a e-bike which greatly helped me in buying a bike. With the new changes coming out on the Bosch motor and battery design, changes from other vendors using security bracelets, fob keys, anti-lock brakes and alarm systems plus now e-bike road racing is coming to frutation in the next year, ebikes will change radically before our eyes and both our opinions will be moot.
To give you some background about me, I work as a software engineer and once worked for NASA. The software field is changing every day and what you were a expert in two years ago is already outdated. I see ebikes in the same fashion. With more companies jumping in and the science becoming more rechnologically advanced, it is foolish to think that things will stay on the same path, they won't. Companies will innovate or perish. The top companies today may be the failures tomorrow if they don't follow that path. It is happening right before your eyes with the example I gave you. Companies gave consumers 24V in the past because they thought they would be satisfied with 12mph a hour. They weren't and those companies who didn'tchange lost out as the same with those making bikes that went 15mph and again, consumer wanted more. Now you are seeing the reaction to 18 to 20 mph Haibike Trekking and urban bikes (European standard) when looking at the price drop. Speed bikes do better but imagine them competing against newer bikes with features such as higher capacity batteries, alarms, sophisticated lighting systems and slicker frames at a lower price point because the market demands with more buyers and companies competing. Your bike will follow the model of a two year old laptop! :)

Mark, I agree. BTW, I spent 25 years in tech (software) myself before retiring about 10 years ago so I'm sure we both did extensive due diligence on an ebike selection (it's an engineering curse that we will live out our lives making every decision via code or spreadsheet!). I've had my bike less than 2 weeks and I love the thing. I've put almost 100 miles on it (just recreation) which is more than I've put on a regular bike in years. I already am thinking where I'll go next. Would love to try one of those R&Ms with the Rohloff hub some day.

I thought seriously about the Trekking 5.0 myself but really liked the idea of the Super Moto X tires. That being said, I do on occasion bike on roads with speed limits of 45+ (and no bike lane) and the idea of having a few extra mph of a class 3 has its appeal.

Let us know which way you go. Bottom line - go pull the trigger. Pretty soon we'll get info on the shiny 2019 models and the analysis paralysis rinse and repeat cycle (new spreadsheet) will start all over!

Sorry for the confusion on my last post. I thought you had decided on the UP, but then your last post made it sound like you were still actively interested in the Trekking S 5.0 (maybe your strategy is to purchase multiple bikes and decide which one to keep later). In any event, from your post earlier today, it sounds like your UP gets delivered today. Hope all goes well. Welcome to the club.

For those of you with the bike, is your chain centered between the two chain guides? My bike arrived with the chain about 1mm from the inner chain guide. My guess is that I am missing a spacer or the chain ring was installed backwards. I checked the chain guides for straightness and they are relatively straight.

Back