Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

Moonshine

Haibike Urban Plus 2017
Court, We need a Review :D

28mph.
TranzX M25 Motor with shift detection. 70nm torque.
I can't see the motor or the battery :D
Super Moto X tires!
I can't think of a more exciting urban e-bike on the market now.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

No shift sensor on that bike.

Yes, it has shift sensor. The motor is the same as the IZIP Protour and the Raleigh Sprint, however, the motor management and computer programming is Haibike specific and it added shift detector which the IZIP and Raleigh don't have.

" The Haibike Urban Plus 2017 is made for the city, this 28 mph eBikes are ideal for escaping city traffic on bike paths. It features the all-new TranzX M25, It has shift detection which allows you to shift normally, your chain and sprockets will have more lifespan. "

http://propelbikes.com/product/haibike-urban-plus-2017/

Shift detection is also highlighted on this video 1.05/1.22.

Last edited:
Yes, it has shift sensor. The motor and downtube is the same as the IZIP Protour and the Raleigh Sprint, however, the motor management and computer programming is Haibike specific and it added shift detector which the IZIP and Raleigh don't have.

" The Haibike Urban Plus 2017 is made for the city, this 28 mph eBikes are ideal for escaping city traffic on bike paths. It features the all-new TranzX M25, It has shift detection which allows you to shift normally, your chain and sprockets will have more lifespan. "

http://propelbikes.com/product/haibike-urban-plus-2017/

Shift detection is also highlighted on this video 1.05/1.22.

I had the opportunity to try that bike for a few days and put 50 miles on it. It did not have shift detection but that was back in October 2016.
I would be interested in knowing whether it is a physical device or just a programming thing.

The COBI system had a lot of glitches. I guess there is a separate thread to discuss it.

Nevertheless, it is a great looking bike with good specs on paper.

I had the opportunity to try that bike for a few days and put 50 miles on it. It did not have shift detection but that was back in October 2016.
I would be interested in knowing whether it is a physical device or just a programming thing.

The COBI system had a lot of glitches. I guess there is a separate thread to discuss it.

Nevertheless, it is a great looking bike with good specs on paper.

There is an actual sensor at the chain stay. Make sure the sensor works properly on the ebike you tested or the sensor may need to be recalibrated. Watch 17:25 of this video where it points the placement of the sensor.

Last edited:
There is an actual sensor at the chain stay. Make sure the sensor works properly on the ebike you tested or the sensor may need to be recalibrated. Watch 17:25 of this video points the placement of the sensor.

That's good to know!
I will test it out :)

Do they have the fork recall issue taken care of? I bought a 2016 model, then found it had a safety recall on it. I took it back and bought an XDURO Trekking S RX.

Reminds me of the stromer I had. Also bomb proof looking like that Hai. But also rode STIFF as he**, as I bet that would. Needs some short travel suspension. (JMO)

I did a lot of research and bought the Urban Plus and have been riding it for the last two months. I do enjoy the design and the bike is fun to ride. The bike is surely heavy too, just getting it in and out of the house to ride it takes work.

There are definitely glitches with the COBI integration where the motor intermittently turns off and then turns back on going up hills. The bike can also completely shut down in the middle of the ride, losing the connection with the COBI. There seems to be a communication issue with the COBI and TranzX motor as the motor registers an error. One thing I think is really odd is how there is a charging cable for the phone but the cable is not used for the connection to the COBI head unit, that's left to Bluetooth and I think that is a mistake. A hard wired connection to a device in my opinion and experience is always more stable.

I've had the bike for almost two months with no resolution from Haibike. I've documented and communicated all issues to the dealer and they say Haibike is working on it. I'm not sure how long I want to wait to get these issues resolved and feel like the integration is not quite "ready for prime time". I've hear other owners have the same issues and Haibike is working to resolve the issues with no time table on when this will actually occur. It's been disappointing to buy an expensive bike and not have it work the way it's supposed to.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research and bought the Urban Plus and have been riding it for the last two months. I do enjoy the design and the bike is fun to ride. The bike is surely heavy too, just getting it in and out of the house to ride it takes work.

There are definitely glitches with the COBI integration where the motor intermittently turns off and then turns back on going up hills. The bike can also completely shut down in the middle of the ride, losing the connection with the COBI. There seems to be a communication issue with the COBI and TranzX motor as the motor registers an error. One thing I think is really odd is how there is a charging cable for the phone but the cable is not used for the connection to the COBI head unit, that's left to Bluetooth and I think that is a mistake. A hard wired connection to a device in my opinion and experience is always more stable.

I've had the bike for almost two months with no resolution from Haibike. I've documented and communicated all issues to the dealer and they say Haibike is working on it. I'm not sure how long I want to wait to get these issues resolved and feel like the integration is not quite "ready for prime time". I've hear other owners have the same issues and Haibike is working to resolve the issues with no time table on when this will actually occur. It's been disappointing to buy an expensive bike and not have it work the way it's supposed to.

Observation Drive, what range are you getting on the bike? And also, were your problems resolved with the COBI?

Haibike Urban Plus 2017

Court, We need a Review :D
28mph.
TranzX M25 Motor with shift detection. 70nm torque.
I can't see the motor or the battery :D
Super Moto X tires!
I can't think of a more exciting urban e-bike on the market now.
This is one of my favorites too. I would like to buy this one as a demo to save some $$$. I think it has a $5000. price tag, but a real beauty indeed. Last years model can see the battery bump. This one is so much more stealthy...

I don't think I've heard of any BT integration that works well on ANY BRAND of bike. My Easy Motion was supposed to have it 2 years ago. Never worked, for anyone that I heard of. Same with Haibike and everyone else that tried to include it in the 2017's that I've read about.
Understand that nobody (?) is building this in themselves, they are buying the technology from venders that are supposed to help integrate the platform. With very scattered results.

Observation Drive, what range are you getting on the bike? And also, were your problems resolved with the COBI?

I never did get the issue resolved with COBI or HAIBIKE. I ended up returning the bike and go a HAIBIKE 6.0 SDuro Full Nine. It's a completely different bike and I'm glad I got it as I can ride the trails now. It has a Yamaha motor. I'm glad I was able to return the Urban Plus. In the end, I found the display to be very distracting and dangerous even, especially since it dropped all the time and I had to futz with it while riding many times to have the app reconnect to the bike.

The range on the bike was maybe 20-30miles on the highest speed and 30-40 miles on the next speed down.

I never did get the issue resolved with COBI or HAIBIKE. I ended up returning the bike and go a HAIBIKE 6.0 SDuro Full Nine. It's a completely different bike and I'm glad I got it as I can ride the trails now. It has a Yamaha motor. I'm glad I was able to return the Urban Plus. In the end, I found the display to be very distracting and dangerous even, especially since it dropped all the time and I had to futz with it while riding many times to have the app reconnect to the bike.

The range on the bike was maybe 20-30miles on the highest speed and 30-40 miles on the next speed down.

Observation Drive-You use the Full Nine as a commuter as well?

Looks like a good move to pull out of the Urban -not worth the headaches with all of the needed troubleshooting to get the system up and working properly.

This is one of my favorites too. I would like to buy this one as a demo to save some $$$. I think it has a $5000. price tag, but a real beauty indeed. Last years model can see the battery bump. This one is so much more stealthy...
I don't know if you are aware of it but Haibike seems to slashed this model's price drastically to $ 1700(I think they are discontinuing it). If I didn't buy my bike a month ago I would have given this a try, looks beautiful.

The bike came back for 2018! They are a great deal right now though.

So does anyone have updates on theirs, I'm seriously contemplating getting one for my wife. As I understand you can still ride the bike without your phone even connected and get the pedal assist, just no display. It's such a great deal for this bike (I would have never paid $3K for one though), big bonus is the very integrated look and low mounted motor and battery, better for handling etc.

Last edited:
Observation Drive-You use the Full Nine as a commuter as well?

Looks like a good move to pull out of the Urban -not worth the headaches with all of the needed troubleshooting to get the system up and working properly.
Wow! I'll go to one store today to talk about this bike. When I saw it is on sale for $1700 I got so excited to buy it. But if it is useless? Hmmm! I also wrote everywhere and I didn't get any respond about this problem and I can't find this bike on their website too. It is interesting. But I still love this bike for $1700. :)

I'll be getting my Urban Plus next week, hopng they've sorted out most of the system bugs, will have to look for firmware updates.

Back