Haibike Trekking 4.0 2019 vs. Xeed City E

sich97

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. But I'd like to try to get some feedback on a decision I have to make.

So, since price is relevant for what I need feedback on, I'd like to start by pointing out that I live in Norway, and that the prices I convert to the U.S dollar may not be what the bikes would cost in the U.S. So I don't need comments saying "this is way overpriced". But rather, I'm interested in which bike you think is the best deal relative to each other.
How I'm going to use the bike is also relevant, so I'll explain that as well.
I'm going to use it to and from school. This is a 2.6 kilometer ride (one way) with a total increase in elevation of 80 meters (with the sharpest incline being 6.1% for 1 kilometer).
I might sometimes also use it to and from the city, which is a 4.8 kilometer ride (one way) with a total increase in elevation of 117 meters (with the sharpest incline being 7.4% for 700 meters)
An important factor is that these trips should both be able to be done during winter. This is a city with lots of snow and really cold weather during the winter. I will be using spiked winter tires during this time.

Now, these are the two bikes I'm considering:
1. Xeed City E Men (new)
Cost: 2 000 USD

Xeed is a Norwegian brand, tailored for the Norwegian environment. They do commercials where they use it on snow, with the appropriate tires).

Here are the specifications:
Motor: Bafang M400 (80nm torque - I don't know if that's a dishonest measure or not, due to the bike not being well-known)
Motor placement: Crank (middle)
Chain: KMC Z72RB
Battery capacity: 418 Wh
Charge time: 6 hours
Number of gears: 8
Brakes: Hydraulic Shimano M315
Gear type: Shimano Altus
Build material: Aluminum
Steering and seat: Soxxos
Fork: Soxxos Stiff
Wheel construction: Soxxos (double bottom)
Tires: CST 42-622
Weight 19.5 kilograms

2. Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 DA 2019 (used for three short rides)
(I don't know what "DA" means. Please enlighten me.)
Cost: 2 800 USD (sold new for 3 360 USD last year)

Here are the specifications:
Motor: Yamaha PW-SE (70nm torque - I believe this to be an honest measure)

I'm not able to find the full specifications for this bike, neither on Haibike's official website (since this is the 2019 model) or on any of the shops I know of. This is partly why I need help as well, since maybe some of you have this bike, and could share their thoughts on which bike is the most bang for the buck.

My budget allows for both bikes, so I'm just posting here to get some insight from experienced folks like you guys.
I kind of know already that Haibike is more reliable and is probably better on things like comfort and such (correct me if I'm wrong).
But since Haibike's motor is supposedly 10nm weaker than Xeed's bike, I have to ask whether or not you think 70nm is enough for the slopes I mentioned, during winter.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,I'm new to this forum. But I'd like to try to get some feedback on a decision I have to make.Now, these are the two bikes I'm considering:
1. Xeed City E Men (new)
Cost: 2 000 USDXeed is a Norwegian brand, tailored for the Norwegian environment. They do commercials where they use it on snow, with the appropriate tires).
Here are the specifications: Motor: Bafang M400 (80nm torque - I don't know if that's a dishonest measure or not, due to the bike not being well-known)

2. Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 DA 2019 (used for three short rides) (I don't know what "DA" means. Please enlighten me.)
Cost: 2 800 USD (sold new for 3 360 USD last year)
Here are the specifications: Motor: Yamaha PW-SE (70nm torque - I believe this to be an honest measure)
I'm not able to find the full specifications for this bike, neither on Haibike's official website (since this is the 2019 model) or on any of the shops I know of. This is partly why I need help as well, since maybe some of you have this bike, and could share their thoughts on which bike is the most bang for the buck. But since Haibike's motor is supposedly 10nm weaker than Xeed's bike, I have to ask whether or not you think 70nm is enough for the slopes I mentioned, during winter. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to EBR. ;)

Here is a review of the Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0... looks to be similar to the 2019 model you are considering.
Regarding your specific questions:
  • Based on your requirements and use case I would recommend the Hiaibike over the Xeed City.
  • The Yamaha PW series motor and battery is a high-quality unit and is known for reliability.
  • 70Nm is more than enough torque for commuting and even climbing mountains.
  • You may be able to negotiate a larger discount on the 2019 Hyibike as the 2021 models will be here next month.

Last edited:
It would take a seriously sensitive rider to feel 10nm torque difference. Never seen a DA designation on a Haibike. Could it be something for the dealer? I ride two 2016 Bosch powered speed Haibikes. One with 4,500 miles and the other with 3,500 miles. Never been back to the dealer, never replaced the original cassettes or brake pads. Replaced chains at 2,500 miles. I couldn't be happier. One is a Full Seven, the other a Trekking.

Welcome to EBR. ;)

Here is a review of the Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0... looks to be similar to the 2019 model you are considering.
Regarding your specific questions:
  • Based on your requirements and use case I would recommend the Hiaibike over the Xeed City.
  • The Yamaha PW series motor and battery is a high-quality unit and is known for reliability.
  • 70Nm is more than enough torque for commuting and even climbing mountains.
  • You may be able to negotiate a larger discount on the 2019 Hyibike as the 2021 models will be here next month.

Yes, I've seen that video, which is great. But I believe that's the 2018 model, which has done great in tests (and even gotten first place in many of them). But sometimes the next years model isn't necessarily better than the previous one. But judging from the answers I'm getting here, it seems the 2019 model should be just as good, if not better than the 2018 model.
The reliability of the Yamaha motor is a good point.
And thanks for the heads up for the 2021 models! It'll make it easier to barter the price.

Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 DA 2019 (used for three short rides)
(I don't know what "DA" means. Please enlighten me.)

FWIW, I googled up Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 DA 2019 and found this site: https://bike-store.de/Haibike-SDURO-Trekking-40-Damen-E-Bike-2019-Grau-Schwarz-Gruen

Using Google Translate to English and we come up with Women for Damen. So, this bike appears to be a womens frame; which may very well be just a lowered top tube. Best to consult with that bike shop and actually sit and ride on it.

I own a PW drive Haibike Full FatSix and riding in all 4 seasons on hills and flats, that Yamaha drive will deliver. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Yes, I've seen that video, which is great. But I believe that's the 2018 model, which has done great in tests (and even gotten first place in many of them).
But sometimes the next years model isn't necessarily better than the previous one.
But judging from the answers I'm getting here, it seems the 2019 model should be just as good, if not better than the 2018 model.
The reliability of the Yamaha motor is a good point.
And thanks for the heads up for the 2021 models! It'll make it easier to barter the price.

Glad to help... I think you would have no regrets with the Haibike Trekking.

Let us know what you decide and how the negotiation goes with your LBS.

I'm very happy with my Trekking 4.0 2019 so far.
Did a mountain trip just now, and the only slopes it wasn't able to make were the ones that almost made the bike do a backflip.
I have no doubts it will be just as good during winter with the appropriate tires.
Also, the ability to charge a phone/powerbank using the bike is so useful! I'm very much looking forward to pack a tent, sleeping bag, fishing rod and a pan, and do a weekend (or longer) in the wilderness with my new friend :)

I'm very happy with my Trekking 4.0 2019 so far.
Did a mountain trip just now, and the only slopes it wasn't able to make were the ones that almost made the bike do a backflip.
I have no doubts it will be just as good during winter with the appropriate tires.
Also, the ability to charge a phone/powerbank using the bike is so useful! I'm very much looking forward to pack a tent, sleeping bag, fishing rod and a pan, and do a weekend (or longer) in the wilderness with my new friend :)

Congrats on your Trekking 4.0! .... check out some of the Bikepacking links below. ;)

Last edited:
Back