Hack my Controller

I just bought a Slane Ajax 48v fat Tire bike. This thing is awesome for a decent price. I did notice though that it seems to be using a generic controller and battery and I was curious if anyone know how to hack this controller to remove the limitation or to just make it higher. Here are some pictures to help. This is a picture inside the controller. Seems very simple just not sure what wire does what and how. There is a HAL circle sensor around the crank arm shaft. there are wires that go out from there. Is it safe to to assume it's pulling double duty as a cadence sensor as well as a speedo?

If you have any ideas would love to hear them. I don't see any sensors on the back when hub or back fork like some bikes have.
Funny

I own a 'SLAIN' Santiago.

I own a 2022 Slane Santiago. I am not able to adjust some of the key settings such as wheel diameter (P06) and sensitivity (P11 and P12).
I am able to adjust these specific settings on my wife's identical bike but not on mine. My dealer here in Quebec says that for some reason my wife's bike has a USA computer while mine is 'locked' for the Canadian market. This is very hard to believe as these settings do not relate to e-bike regulations here in Quebec. I can understand that certain other settings such as voltage (P03) would not change if set by the factory. But why do we have to forgo setting P06 for the best speedometer accuracy and odometer readings as well as P11 and P12 for the best riding experience?
Do other Santiago owners in Canada have a 'frozen' computer?

I own a 2022 Slane Santiago. I am not able to adjust some of the key settings such as wheel diameter (P06) and sensitivity (P11 and P12).
I am able to adjust these specific settings on my wife's identical bike but not on mine. My dealer here in Quebec says that for some reason my wife's bike has a USA computer while mine is 'locked' for the Canadian market. This is very hard to believe as these settings do not relate to e-bike regulations here in Quebec. I can understand that certain other settings such as voltage (P03) would not change if set by the factory. But why do we have to forgo setting P06 for the best speedometer accuracy and odometer readings as well as P11 and P12 for the best riding experience?
Having learned the lessons I've learned, and being totally spoiled by them, if I owned that bike the existing controller and display would be ripped out by the roots and replaced with a KT controller and display. Then you'd have a much nicer controller that's totally unrestricted.

Knowing full well that's a pretty drastic move, especially for the less experienced, I would look to see if I could source a controller identical to the one you have on the open market. That controller SHOULD be unlocked, and they generally are not that expensive.

Having learned the lessons I've learned, and being totally spoiled by them, if I owned that bike the existing controller and display would be ripped out by the roots and replaced with a KT controller and display. Then you'd have a much nicer controller that's totally unrestricted.

Knowing full well that's a pretty drastic move, especially for the less experienced, I would look to see if I could source a controller identical to the one you have on the open market. That controller SHOULD be unlocked, and they generally are not that expensive.
Having had Bafang and Truck Run motors it seems compared to the Bafang the "TR" motors punch above their weight slightly, case in point the current 500 watt "TR" motor to have as much or slightly more torque than the 750 watt Bafang( capable of 1050 watts) I can sit down and peddle up hills with ease where I used to have to stand up on the Bafang equipped bike( however Kyle Chittuck tells me I can upgrade the stator on the Bafang to really wake it up,) while I do not think you can do the same with the "Truck Run" motor I have noticed the TR motor getting warm, the Bafang never seemed to heat up. Try what "Citizen Cycle," said for a controller upgrade most bang for the buck( just do not smoke your current motor)

I have the same bike.
Did you buy your bike at Royal Distributing?

No not from Royal Distributing, we bought from a local motorsports dealer who started selling e-bikes a couple of years ago.
IMG_0326.jpg
I don't get why one of our Santiagos is adjustable but not the other one. This is one bike after I changed the wheel diameter setting from 27.5 to 29.

No not from Royal Distributing, we bought from a local motorsports dealer who started selling e-bikes a couple of years ago.
View attachment 135480
I don't get why one of our Santiagos is adjustable but not the other one. This is one bike after I changed the wheel diameter setting from 27.5 to 29.
The distributor of that bike and branded that way is a guy in the GTA.
I'm in Guelph and they were open about showing you how to program the controller.
Thing is, they all come from the same guy. The ONLY difference in those bikes came when they made some with a 27.5 + rim and tire. Everything else identical.
Ask for Bob at Royal in Guelph. He may be able to get to the bottom line.

Nothing is 'Frozen' on mine
Have you tried different settigs for sensitivity (P11 and P!2) and do you prefer anything different than the default setting?
I spoke with Bob today and he said that he would do a bit of digging and get back to me.

Bob is great and has a great long working relationship with the Slain distributor and they have a guy in China that is absolutely fantastic at solving issues for them! I have experienced this first hand and heard Bob go on about this 'guy' and how good he really is.
I won't tell u what happened to my ebike but Bob got the solution from China and had my bike fixed back to new in literally 10 minutes.
It has been some time since going through the parameters but made myself a video, when I find it I will post what I have set as my parameters.

Bob is great and has a great long working relationship with the Slain distributor and they have a guy in China that is absolutely fantastic at solving issues for them! I have experienced this first hand and heard Bob go on about this 'guy' and how good he really is.
I won't tell u what happened to my ebike but Bob got the solution from China and had my bike fixed back to new in literally 10 minutes.
It has been some time since going through the parameters but made myself a video, when I find it I will post what I have set as my parameters.
Okay my Slain Santiago Fat Parameters
P1 002
P2 000
P3 048
P4 002
P5 0 05
P6 28.0
P7 086
P8 100
P9 000
P10 002
*P11 001
*P12 002
P13 012
P14 020
P15 40.8
P16 392 (Odometer)

I have played with all the parameters for well over a year and in every outdoor condition thinkable, like what my current set up is. In fact it's my wife's bike, I ride it from time to time but have 2 other ebikes. The others are both different, one 500w Bafang Rear, other 250w rear but neither can keep up with the Slain. It's punchy as all get up in torque and in overall tip speed, eats up steep small inclines, switchbacks, often times find myself smiling because of just how "Tesla-Like" (is that even a thing yet?) It is compared to my other ebikes.

Enjoy, get out and ride!

Ahicks is gonna hate me for saying this because there are so many things to factor in but tbh, 35km/hr is a breeze for The Slain Satiago Fat without assistance and with a lil pedal 40-45km/hr Easily!

Last edited:
I have played with all the parameters for well over a year
Apparently Slane started locking more parameters in July 2021. You are fortunate to have an earlier version.
I am glad to know that someone else (besides me) has interest in trying different settings.
I wonder if Slane decided to lock the P06, P11 and P12 settings in 2021 to protect us from ourselves.

Last edited:
My experience with the local dealer has been very positive as well. I think that they are getting great support all the way, from the distributor and from China.

Ahicks is gonna hate me for saying this because there are so many things to factor in but tbh, 35km/hr is a breeze for The Slain Satiago Fat without assistance and with a lil pedal 40-45km/hr Easily!
Nope. I would never say impossible, and I don't hate anyone! What I would say is that 40-45kmh would require one to be pedaling WAY faster than I could.....

Apparently Slane started locking more parameters in July 2021. You are fortunate to have an earlier version.
I am glad to know that someone else (besides me) has interest in trying different settings.
I wonder if Slane decided to lock the P06, P11 and P12 settings in 2021 to protect us from ourselves.
I hope that isn't a growing trend!
So here's some scuttlebutt for you, I was having a conversation with Bob while in the store (this happens for 30min - 45 min everytine I see him...wonderful guy!)
While talking with me about the Slain distributor he couldn't get over how excited he was about being able to 'juice' up the bikes he'd been selling and is selling currently. He definately didn't know it was possible, I played stupid at first because I had already hacked mine and re-set my parameters. Regardless, my point is that they were completely on board with doing it and encouraging me to do so. So, based on personal interactions with the distributor and seller, from my estimation, THAT decision may be coming from China.
At least you know. You said u had another one? Try the display from that one on yours...see if that works? Snip snap won't take but a minute and at least you'll have the option of using it on yours

Nope. I would never say impossible, and I don't hate anyone! What I would say is that 40-45kmh would require one to be pedaling WAY faster than I could.....
Legs.
Yes.
But, it is due to gear set up as well 🤫 but I don't wanna reveal all my secrets at once

Screenshot_20220921-123446_Photos.jpg
So that's another video that I took while there on May 21st of 2022 lol at 3:47pm.
My lil guy and I had some time to kill so I took the opportunity to play with a new Slain with our display and see what the parameters were.
Obviously there were differences, I could go into more depth, but noticeably at the end there was an additional parameter 17. I believe that is for cruise control which ours does not have as an option. So yes, something definately has changed.

View attachment 135882
So that's another video that I took while there on May 21st of 2022 lol at 3:47pm.
My lil guy and I had some time to kill so I took the opportunity to play with a new Slain with our display and see what the parameters were.
Obviously there were differences, I could go into more depth, but noticeably at the end there was an additional parameter 17. I believe that is for cruise control which ours does not have as an option. So yes, something definately has changed.
Does yours have P17?

If so...
There's a pretty firm confirmation yours is Gen II.

Back