Hack my Controller

I'm a big fan of KT controllers. They're user "configurable" to a degree that generally leaves you with a bike set up YOUR way. For instance, when you ask for power, it's there NOW. There's no spool up time. This controller is sold by Bolton as a hop up kit for the RAD bikes. The reason I mention that is that they are VERY popular with those that bought them. There's an endless supply of user reports available.

The KT controllers are available on the after market several ways (don't buy Bolton's kit unless you are working on a Rad), and are generally sold with a new display as part of the deal. Again, there are several displays, all pretty much state of the art, and they are used to set up the controller. Suit yourself. Controller and LCD3 display for instance, should be less than 100 bucks. The controllers are available pre wired with Bafang motor connectors - but make sure you are looking at the RIGHT one! With the correct motor and display connectors assured, you are left matching up the PAS sensor, the throttle, and brake switches. If you understand HAL sensors, this should be a pretty easy job for you.

New controller installed, there is no more bottleneck between the battery and the motor. You MAY be able to get away with the motor you have at that point. It's worth trying. If not, there are 750w and even a 1000w Bafang motors available (buy them pre laced with the correct wheel size - cheap). These will drop right in place where your 500w now lives, and because you've already installed the controller, you'll be able to feed the bigger motors with the amount of power they'll be looking for....

Have fun. Let your wallet be your guide.
my current build has KT controller and read out I used the one with the built on/off and pas switch, mocked it up this morning seems to work, used the display with built in switches to keep the "cockpit" as uncluttered as possible, my biggest disappointment so far is my new "cruiser" HB will not work, have to put the semi-BMX one back on it and yes daggone it I am installing a FWD motor. On your build I believe if it is a "Bafang" anew 750 watt 60 series stator will drop right in

FWIW my wife and I both hit 46 km/h flat out in top gear on our respective Santiago fat bikes on level ground. Spinning like crazy, not something we could sustain for long. How accurate the speedos are is another question.
Nope. I would never say impossible, and I don't hate anyone! What I would say is that 40-45kmh would require one to be pedaling WAY faster than I could.....

FWIW my wife and I both hit 46 km/h flat out in top gear on our respective Santiago fat bikes on level ground. Spinning like crazy, not something we could sustain for long. How accurate the speedos are is another question.
I have several bikes, and I'm pretty much all done/as fast as I can pedal in the high teens and maybe low 20's. Power could be anything from a 500w geared rear hub to a 1600w Bafang Ultra mid drive.

It is about the gearing, and the potential for speedo error is a good point. Have fun! -Al

Okay my Slain Santiago Fat Parameters
P1 002
P2 000
P3 048
P4 002
P5 0 05
P6 28.0
P7 086
P8 100
P9 000
P10 002
*P11 001
*P12 002
P13 012
P14 020
P15 40.8
P16 392 (Odometer)

I have played with all the parameters for well over a year and in every outdoor condition thinkable, like what my current set up is. In fact it's my wife's bike, I ride it from time to time but have 2 other ebikes. The others are both different, one 500w Bafang Rear, other 250w rear but neither can keep up with the Slain. It's punchy as all get up in torque and in overall tip speed, eats up steep small inclines, switchbacks, often times find myself smiling because of just how "Tesla-Like" (is that even a thing yet?) It is compared to my other ebikes.

Enjoy, get out and ride!

Ahicks is gonna hate me for saying this because there are so many things to factor in but tbh, 35km/hr is a breeze for The Slain Satiago Fat without assistance and with a lil pedal 40-45km/hr Easily!
I know it's an old thread but I'm curious to ask, if you don't mind. How much do you weigh?

Back