Gravel tires?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Gravel cyclists seem to be picky about the tyres they use for their bikes. Panaracer Gravel King, Schwalbe G-One, Maxxis Rambler seem to be popular choices.

I consider a purchase of Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready. Yes, I know these are intended for tubeless use. The rims in my Vado SL are not tubeless ready. Does anybody of you ride Pathfinders? Experiences? I need tyres that are very fast on the pavement but would handle even pretty harsh terrain and loose gravel. And, of course, be supple.

I've had the Pathfinders (47mm) on my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 for about a year and overall I think they're a very good tire. I find them to be quite fast. Their only downfall for me is they don't do well in sandy soil.
In late 2021 a long screw punctured my rear tire and by the time I realized what was going on it had destroyed the tire (I'm running tubeless).
I decided to tire something different and replaced the rear with a Vittoria Terreno Dry, which got top honours on a recent Grand Fondo gravel tire shootout.
I bought another Terreno Dry to replace the Pathfinder when it finally needs replacing.

bicyclerollingresistance.com is a good source for tire rolling resistance.
Here's a list, in order of Watts consumed, for some of the tires with the least rolling resistance:

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 7.39.25 AM.png

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts!
Well, sand would be an issue for me for sure. However, I feel the Smart Sams I've been using in the warm season gave me more of rolling resistance than really necessary! (Being hard to puncture and very good off-road, I give that).

I can only say my impression is Smart Sams noticeably slow e-bikes down, offering the puncture protection and excellent grip instead. I would have not minded for my "big" Vado given how powerful motor is there but I am looking for anything to give the low power Vado SL more edge...

I can only say my impression is Smart Sams noticeably slow e-bikes down, offering the puncture protection and excellent grip instead. I would have not minded for my "big" Vado given how powerful motor is there but I am looking for anything to give the low power Vado SL more edge...
So I have the WTB Nanos (700x40) on the Vado SL and I love them, seem to be as fast as the original Pathfinders on road but less harsh and better grip off road. They really feel alive in comparison. On my (non electric) Salsa Vaya I have slick gravel kings 700x40. These are beautiful tyres, lightweight and so fast despite their wide width on road and yet with plenty of grip on the rough roads/lanes around here - I would get the semi slick versions if I was to take the vaya more off-road and probably go for 43 or 47mm. Being slick and very supple they do seem more susceptible to punctures, but honestly on both the vado sl or Vaya I'm not too bothered by punctures, I don't get many - its irritating but is usually 10 mins at side of road to swap out a tube. No big deal. (I guess it could be nightmarish with the very heavy e bikes or complicated rear hub motors).

Anyway both the versions of the Nanos & Panaracer gravel kings I have don't have any special layers for puncture protection, because I'm a cheapskate and also with the gravel kings wanted a light supple tyre, but despite that I've only had one puncture in a year and a half with the nanos and 1 puncture with the gravel kings, though with much less riding on the gravel kings to be fair. And both happened recently, with small thorns - the council here cut all the hedges back on the lanes mid winter and the roads become carpeted in torns and sometimes even ripped off branches! Like a minefield.

Guaranteed to have several punctures in quick succession now for boasting!

Yes they aren't really any wider then the pathfinders. Though one is 38 and the nanos 40, on vado sl rims there is very little difference. The nanos are taller - more air - and more cushioning (bouncy I call them) but not wider. Remember I have the SKS Speedrockers so there is probably more room then the EQ ones.

Also Stefan I'm reluctant to recommend the Nanos to you because where we ride is so different, you; flat and the roads probably smooth tarmac. Me; all hills and rough back roads! So the Nanos which feel fast to me here, may not on your fast smooth roads.

With your gang of gravel bros(!) is there a favourite tyre they use? Since the explosion of gravel, the range of tyres has equally expanded. Loads of choice. The Nanos are actually comparatively old design now and the name harks back to the famous WTB nanoraptors mountain bike tyres. Still have a dusty pair of 26" nanorapters in the garage!

you; flat and the roads probably smooth tarmac.
Oh no. I often ride gravel and dirt but indeed no hills.
With your gang of gravel bros(!) is there a favourite tyre they use?
They often choose Schwalbe G-Ones. No idea why. Price?
One of friends rides Panaracer Gravelking SK. He thinks Continental Terra Speed are equally fast but better for raining.

Last edited:
They do seem popular. Must be good, but it might be price related & availability too. Like everything cycling right now tyres are gone to crazy prices. And in particular anything 'gravel' related seems a licence to up the price to crazy levels, such is the demand. And yes I meant that as well as the gravel and dirt your roads are probably smoother then the narrow hilly lanes here.

When I started riding on gravel last summer and crashe, I swapped pathfinders for the Nimbus tires that came with my Vado Sl. The Pathfinders are definitely a bit slower than the Nimbus, but only about one or two Mph for my usual pavement rides. On gravel the treads are so much better that the speed loss on pavement is even less relevant.

When I started riding on gravel last summer and crashe, I swapped pathfinders for the Nimbus tires that came with my Vado Sl. The Pathfinders are definitely a bit slower than the Nimbus, but only about one or two Mph for my usual pavement rides. On gravel the treads are so much better that the speed loss on pavement is even less relevant.
Thank you for very useful information! I think I shall try the stock Nimbus before I burn more money...

Try the Teravail Made in Japan tyres if you are limited to riding gravel only.
"Gravel cycling" means Pavement, Gravel, Dirt. Gravel cyclists are expected to ride very fast on the pavement and be able to maintain traction even under muddy conditions off-road.

1645164829152.png

A typical racing route for gravel cyclists where I live: 100 km, 31% paved, 45% dirt, 24% gravel.

1645165450018.png

And the conditions are harsh.

Last edited:
Gravel cyclists seem to be picky about the tyres they use for their bikes. Panaracer Gravel King, Schwalbe G-One, Maxxis Rambler seem to be popular choices.

I consider a purchase of Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss Ready. Yes, I know these are intended for tubeless use. The rims in my Vado SL are not tubeless ready. Does anybody of you ride Pathfinders? Experiences? I need tyres that are very fast on the pavement but would handle even pretty harsh terrain and loose gravel. And, of course, be supple.
I had these on my previous bike. They were OK on tarmac, but we’re a bit skittish on very soft, loose gravel or soft surface in general. But, they were only 42mm.

I’ve found with my Nevo3 having wider tyres (60mm), the Schwalbe Johnny Watts perform better.

Mrs DGs bike has Kenda 49mm tyres which had better grip than the Pathfinders on the loose stuff.
OK. Gravel e-bikes use tyres between 35 and 50 mm, with 38 and 42 mm width as the most popular. My Vado SL will accept up to 38 mm. You're the second person who dislikes Pathfinders. As I wrote to BEC, I will give my set of Nimbus another chance!

I decided to go back to Nimbus. Why let good tyres go to waste? I ride Vado SL mostly on the pavement, and the speed loss is vital there. I hope I won't crash on my gravel rides!

1645271772244.png

1645271824528.png

Back