Gravel tires?

They look pretty skaty to me! Especially on ice and mud. Or loose gravel on dry hardback corners. I think the main quality of a good gravel tyre is a central ridge unbroken or broken for low rolling resistance on smooth tarmac but with chunky stuff either side for cornering and to dig in on mud/dirt and gravel to give you purchase. The pictures of the Nimbus seem to be purely a road tyre with grooves to whisk away excess surface water, but very little grip. Even my slick gravel kings have tiny ridges throughout for some grip if things get out of hand. Be careful out there!

They look like they have plenty of life left in them.
Hardly ever used!

They look pretty skaty to me!
Let me try them. It looks we have a period of warm weather here now. Majority of my rides are on pavement, and I'd try some gravel rides on the SL only in the Spring. Currently, I ride harder terrain on my heavy Vado with Marathon Winter Plus.

ah ok, I thought you were heading out with the vado SL in icy muddy conditions like your pics - In dryer summer conditions worth a try for sure and if you feel you need more grip (but keeping speed up) then yes look at the faster end of market then the trusty nanos.

ah ok, I thought you were heading out with the vado SL in icy muddy conditions like your pics - In dryer summer conditions worth a try for sure and if you feel you need more grip (but keeping speed up) then yes look at the faster end of market then the trusty nanos.
I was riding Marathon Winter Plus 35-622 when there was ice here :) Just swapped the tyres at Specialized Warsaw. (Because I like them, and they always have time and coffee for me) :)
Besides, no riding today b/c of Eunice.

I decided to go back to Nimbus. Why let good tyres go to waste? I ride Vado SL mostly on the pavement, and the speed loss is vital there. I hope I won't crash on my gravel rides!

View attachment 114669

View attachment 114670
I still have the Nimbus tires. It will depend upon the rides I’m doing after spring litter is gone whether or when I switch back to them.
I’ll end up better at changing tires. Not a bad thing.

Back