GPS Tracker

Jeffrios

Does anyone else use their integrated GPS tracker that came with their 52V battery?

First of all, Trackimo's website is clunky and hardly works, but the main issue is that it doesn't track my bike.

I've commuted twice this week and it shows I have gone no more than 2 miles from home.

Cant speak for the one you have but I am doing the same thing. I just bought https://www.amazon.com/Logistimatic...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CB1VJ3X5R2TSKAFH0CBP on Amazon and am hoping it works well enough. i did some reading up and found this to be the best value. The reviews look great also and Battery life is pretty good. Id also think about Insurance if your using a really expensive Ebike I just priced it and at 60$ a month I can cover my Biktrix Juggernaut. I feel its a worthy expense incase I ever have any issues.

Yes I use it. It takes a little time to set it up but seems to work well now. I get an alert to my email whenever the bike moves after being idle for more than about 5 minutes. I really like this feature as it tells my wife that I have just left work. It's also nice as a theft safety feature obviously.
I did get a strange alert that said my battery was low at 10% while I was on vacation. When I got home today, I plugged in the battery and it was still at 80%. I am guessing this is for the GPS backup battery. It still shows 10% based on the app. I will send a support ticket to Juiced tomorrow to verify and hopefully find a solution.

Is anyone aware of research on whether GPS is an effective way to get your bike back after a theft? Or on whether police will act on it?

I've heard positive anecdotal reports.

Cant speak for the one you have but I am doing the same thing. I just bought https://www.amazon.com/Logistimatic...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CB1VJ3X5R2TSKAFH0CBP on Amazon and am hoping it works well enough. i did some reading up and found this to be the best value. The reviews look great also and Battery life is pretty good. Id also think about Insurance if your using a really expensive Ebike I just priced it and at 60$ a month I can cover my Biktrix Juggernaut. I feel its a worthy expense incase I ever have any issues.
Would it fit on the bike ?

Okay a quick update on my low GPS battery. (Kinda a "duh" moment for me.) I placed a support ticket with Juiced last night about the Trackimo app notifying me of a low battery at 10%.
I got an email response today from Juiced. They stated that the GPS battery only recharges itself when the main battery is turned on. Since I was off my bike last week on vacation, it went several days without recharging. I had read that the GPS battery was good for 3 days. This explains that. Also, since I rode my bike to work today, Trackimo now shows battery status at 100%. This also clears up the fact that Trackimo is only monitoring the GPS unit battery, not the main battery.
At any rate bike and battery are working as designed and once again Juiced was very prompt with addressing a problem.

Did yo notice the minimum monthly service charge of $14.95??? Juiced does charge far more up front for the GPS, but monthly monitoring is included for the first year and only $5/ month after that. At the 1 year mark you be roughly break even $240 for the Amazon unit and $250 for the Juiced unit. After that its far cheaper to have the Juiced unit.

Thank you Chris I will look into that. Do they sell it on its own? i am not a Juice Customer.

GPS is integrated into the extended battery packs made specifically for Juiced bikes. It comes standard with the 52v and optional for the smaller extended packs.

Have you checked out the Boomerang GPS? I believe the monthly fee is $5 and the unit itself costs $155 - I've seen them listed for slightly less on eBay. It's made specifically for bikes. I can't speak on how good the product is but I know that Court did a video review on it.

Is anyone aware of research on whether GPS is an effective way to get your bike back after a theft? Or on whether police will act on it?

I've heard positive anecdotal reports.

Here are a couple of great stories about theft recovery of Stromer ST2s using their built-in GPS system. The slick think about the Stromer GPS integration is that it part and parcel of what makes the bike function. It can't be disabled or removed without rendering the bike useless as an ebike. And speaking from experience, no one wants to fight to pedal against the magnets in a large DD hub motor on a 65 lb. ebike.

This one has a happy ending:
https://www.wired.com/2015/04/stromer-theft-mode/

And this one has an even happier ending:
https://electricbikereport.com/50-stolen-bikes-recovered-stromer-st2-electric-bike-gps-app/

Though I don't know when the data was collected, I read another report mentioning that of the 47 ST2s that had been reported stolen as of the time the article was written, 44 had been recovered using the GPS.

An update from Juiced:

We had an unfortunate wave of GPS service shutdown due to the latest announcement about telecom dropping 2G GPS. Trackimo is helping us get the newest 3G version promptly so we can offer you a replacement on your pack. We will reach out with more details soon

Please let us know if any comments

Regards

Emily

An update from Juiced:

We had an unfortunate wave of GPS service shutdown due to the latest announcement about telecom dropping 2G GPS. Trackimo is helping us get the newest 3G version promptly so we can offer you a replacement on your pack. We will reach out with more details soon

Regards

Emily
Thanks, @Jeffrios. I wonder if this means they are replacing the whole battery, or is it possible to replace the GPS unit itself. If the former, will the used batteries be available at used prices? Because I don't want the GPS but would love to have a 52V 21 Ah battery, if it tests out anywhere near original spec. @Luis Mtz or @Tora Harris, please advise.

An update from Juiced:

Regards

Emily

Jeffrios, have you heard anything more on how JB will handle the GPS replacement on your pack? I have an RCS on order w/ the GPS add-on option. My bike is ready to ship now, but I was told that due to the 2G issue, I will need to wait another 3 to 5 more weeks if I still want GPS. I was hoping that they could just ship the bike out to me and send the 3G part once it becomes available, but that is not an option.

I had a 52V battery with GPS on order since April. Due to the GPS problem they shipped my battery without GPS and will issue a credit for the GPS. When the 3G GPS batteries come in they will send me a return authorization and shipping label to ship the GPS-less battery back. They will bill the GPS when the replacement battery is shipped. Yes, I have this all in writing so I am confident they will do right by me.

I had a 52V battery with GPS on order since April. Due to the GPS problem they shipped my battery without GPS and will issue a credit for the GPS. When the 3G GPS batteries come in they will send me a return authorization and shipping label to ship the GPS-less battery back. They will bill the GPS when the replacement battery is shipped. Yes, I have this all in writing so I am confident they will do right by me.

Because my 52v pack's GPS never worked, Juiced offered me a $250. refund, which I just received. They never told me about an exchange for a 3G battery which I would have considered. But even so, I figure GPS will be getting smaller, lighter and cheaper, so I'll probably put the refund towards the latest and greatest system which hides elsewhere on the bike. My bike is well insurred for theft and damage, so I may just take any loss should it come.

Because my 52v pack's GPS never worked, Juiced offered me a $250. refund, which I just received. They never told me about an exchange for a 3G battery which I would have considered. But even so, I figure GPS will be getting smaller, lighter and cheaper, so I'll probably put the refund towards the latest and greatest system which hides elsewhere on the bike. My bike is well insurred for theft and damage, so I may just take any loss should it come.

I also noticed they lowered the price of their RCS with the 52v cell by $250.

If they are offering refunds, I'm going to ask for that instead. I personally don't care for a GPS. That's what my smartphone is for. On top of that, Trackimo's UI is pretty dated.

Back