GPS Tracker For Watt Wagons

Ebiker33

This could apply to any expensive Ebike.

So if a stupid thief steels a Watt Wagon he might not know the value of what he has, they also might not realize to search for this device.
A smart thief that knows what he is doing will look for it and try to remove it anyways. The value of a niche brand is that he probably won't know if it's well hidden.
That being said would there be a way of including it into the Ebike that hides it into the manufacturing process when you are building the Ebike.
On $7000 plus Ebike that can easily be thrown into a pick up truck some level of security beyond a lock that can be cut with good cordless grinder and a thin zip disc within seconds should be considered, there are video's on youtube of people cutting a good U-lock twice to get it off in less than 60 seconds.
I sell them(cordless grinders), I know how fast they can cut, and trust me when I say they are only getting better, with better high output batteries, brushless motors and super thin discs that are designed to cut as fast as possible.
If the older Dewalts can do it in 60 seconds the newer tools, can beat that easy.

Here are a couple of ideas/examples

POWUNITY

RAYVOLT

This is cool, could be consistently powered by the battery, with 8 hours back up on top of that.
BOOMERANG

Another version hid it in the handles, so that it's totally not seen, wired directly to the battery with back up battery just in case the battery is removed.

I view this as insurance and a way to feel more confident about taking the Ebike to the store to pick up that pint of milk and leaving it for 15 minutes locked up outside on a bike rack.
Perhaps you have seen the pictures where the thief actually cut the heavy duty bike rack off with the grinder because the lock was tougher than the bike rack.

Of coarse we could just all buy them ourselves aftermarket, but you know something to look at.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would love to have a GPS tracker in the bike somewhere and would be willing to pay a monthly fee for that and purchase one

I've been advocating for this for months in the private forum. @pushkar was considering it, but never found an option that he liked/met his quality standards. Perhaps one of these would?

Regardless, I'll likely add something aftermarket, but wholeheartedly agree that it would be much better if integrated upon initial build.

Yeah I have been watching some
Of these products also and it seems hit/miss on quality and reliability...

hopefully something will get on the market soon and work well

Hopefully in the custom display the are working on for the archon controller. This makes the most sense since it is connected to power.

Ive got a GPS tracker hidden in my tail light Ive been using for about 2 months now; I pay only 5 bucks a month for a GPS Sim card. Its great peace of mind.

Also, hiding GPS trackers in the frame is generally a bad idea...they all need to have a good cell network service connection or else you wont be accurate tracking or will not track at all because no/weak signal.

I really don’t think any of these in frame hidden gps trackers do their jobs properly.

I have yet to see one on a consumers bike because I have a hunch that the manufacturers know that hiding a SIM card device that needs a good and constant signal in a (usually) metal frame of some kind is a crappy idea.

Putting any thing that requires a signal to go out inside a metal frame is not going to go well by any means. I have tried it myself with a separate GPS tracker small enough...I got with the same idea to hide it in the frame.

Long story short it didn’t work out because of the reasons above.

I really don’t think any of these in frame hidden gps trackers do their jobs properly.

I have yet to see one on a consumers bike because I have a hunch that the manufacturers know that hiding a SIM card device that needs a good and constant signal in a (usually) metal frame of some kind is a crappy idea.

Putting any thing that requires a signal to go out inside a metal frame is not going to go well by any means. I have tried it myself with a separate GPS tracker small enough...I got with the same idea to hide it in the frame.

Thanks for the reply, what about embedding one in the LCD display?

What about a short antenna that protrudes from the frame? Almost like a brake wire? Surely someone has the ingenuity to create a system that would/could work.

What about a short antenna that protrudes from the frame? Almost like a brake wire? Surely someone has the ingenuity to create a system that would/could work.

I have looked into that- apparently not a lot of GPS's (if at all) have "radio" style antenna. Everything is on the one chip that has the gyro + GPS on it. Almost easier to have a carveout on the frame at this point.

The one reliable GPS that appears to work for over 95% cases (from logistimatics) is the one that we cannot fit anywhere on the frame (dimensions are too large). :( Also the pricing is fairly expensive to make it work. (10-15/ month, since it does 4G / LTE).

PSA - If you currently have a GPS that you are paying around $5-$6 for, please check if that is on the 2G / 3G network - those are being phased out by end of 2020 so there will be limited coverage / accuracy.

Hmmmm, you take the GPS with you embedded in the display??? Yes the Ebike is locked out but then how does it help the Ebike from actually not being stolen and then tracked if they have a vehicle to put it in, just because they can't ride it. With a Watt Wagon they can salvage parts and sell them, the IGH alone is worth major $$$.

I suppose you could put it in the harness that connects to the display. Personally I am not the type that is worried about my display getting stolen. More concerned about the entire bike.

Thanks for the reply, what about embedding one in the LCD display?
Could possibly work but the LCD display would have to have a bit of extra space for the chipset and battery to fit inside and a port for charging. Unless you somehow rig it to keep running constant power off your main battery but thats beyond my knowledge.

Here’s a pic of my GPS tracker that is embedded in the tail light, which I have Jb welded into place.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Umm....

@AdilDesai man.. you walked right into it! 😂 😂

Atleast i am not alone anymore... i almost did too..
Yeah, yeah. But what I meant was not that the display holds the GPS, but that the display acts as a key for the bike. If the display isn't mounted, then the bike is immobilized. It would still need a GPS tracker (like a Tile) to find the bike if it gets tossed into the back of a van.

Could possibly work but the LCD display would have to have a bit of extra space for the chipset and battery to fit inside and a port for charging. Unless you somehow rig it to keep running constant power off your main battery but thats beyond my knowledge.

Here’s a pic of my GPS tracker that is embedded in the tail light, which I have Jb welded into place.
View attachment 58441
Brand? Cost/month?

Its a Chinese branded tracker but it does its job well if you can configure it, which is a bit tricky. I pay 5 dollars a month for the GPS Sim card which is nothing compared to the peace of mind.

I got it off amazon but it seems like they have sold out because it’s popular.

Its a Chinese branded tracker but it does its job well if you can configure it, which is a bit tricky. I pay 5 dollars a month for the GPS Sim card which is nothing compared to the peace of mind.

I got it off amazon but it seems like they have sold out because it’s popular.

I saw something similar a few months ago and posted it on the private forum. Here it is:

Saw this article today when researching GPS for bikes:

9to5mac.com

GPS Bike Tracker with no need for expensive mobile data plan - 9to5Mac
Any self-respecting bicycle owner with a gadget habit will have at least considered a GPS bike-tracker. But the options to date haven't been overly ...
9to5mac.com

9to5mac.com

I'd prefer @pushkar to offer something as standard on the bikes (and innovative like Vanmoof), but in absence of that, I'm trying to figure out what might work best.

I also ran across this article:

www.cyclingweekly.com

GPS Bike Trackers: find and follow your stolen bike - Cycling Weekly
Oxford Products' GPS tracker transmits its position to allow stolen bicycles or other items to be located
www.cyclingweekly.com

www.cyclingweekly.com

The one from 9:5 Mac doesn't work in the US, but I'm sure that there are other options like this out there (as you've clearly found).

Back