Got Called a "Cheater" by Another Cyclist

Screenshot_20210727-103746_Chrome.jpg

My Physical Therapist—a roadie—has an enlightened view of ebikes perhaps because he’s used to dealing with disability and thinks anything that gets you on a bike is a good thing. As a serious rider he would come from town to ride the rolling terrain around my little farm so when I asked to ride my bike again he said yes “Just stay anyway from farm roads”. So last Friday, the day after my last appointment I took the shortcut farm road at the end of my road. Of course I had a serious wreck on Bobby LLoyds’ rutted road. Took a long downhill header from shaded pothole. No shoulder injury but extensive road rash and very sore ribs. I wonder what he’ll think of ebiker‘s when I tell him next week. There is no high ground when you’re sliding face first through gravel. The bike seems largely okay, I checked it before noting the blood from three limbs.

Tell them when they follow original Tours de France rules, they can call us cheaters. One rider was once disqualified because a local boy pumped the bellows while he re welded his broken frame!

Unlike today’s riders, the cyclists in 1903 rode over unpaved roads without helmets. They rode as individuals, not team members. Riders could receive no help. They could not glide in the slipstream of fellow riders or vehicles of any kind. They rode without support cars. Cyclists were responsible for making their own repairs. They even rode with spare tires and tubes wrapped around their torsos in case they developed flats.

What asshats. To be fair I'd most likely declare myself a cheater before anyone else could but at the same time I paid for that privilege. Most people are just jealous. Let's be honest, any or all of us could own regular bikes and probably still do. At least I still PEDAL! Moped rider are the real cheaters!

My Physical Therapist—a roadie—has an enlightened view of ebikes perhaps because he’s used to dealing with disability and thinks anything that gets you on a bike is a good thing. As a serious rider he would come from town to ride the rolling terrain around my little farm so when I asked to ride my bike again he said yes “Just stay anyway from farm roads”. So last Friday, the day after my last appointment I took the shortcut farm road at the end of my road. Of course I had a serious wreck on Bobby LLoyds’ rutted road. Took a long downhill header from shaded pothole. No shoulder injury but extensive road rash and very sore ribs. I wonder what he’ll think of ebiker‘s when I tell him next week. There is no high ground when you’re sliding face first through gravel. The bike seems largely okay, I checked it before noting the blood from three limbs.

Oh no Mulezen. 😯🙁
Glad there’s no broken bones. Heal fast!

Bet he drives a car vs walking.
Yup! I see a lot more road bikes hanging on the back of audis etc. than I see riding down the road,
probably more than ten to one. I do occasionally transport my bike about 1 for every 30+ rides if that.

On most occasions when I get called a cheater, it's done in a light hearted manner. When this occurs, I usually refrain from replying with a snappy comeback and try to start a friendly conversation instead. Once, I even let a very nice older couple try my ride! I like to think I convinced at least one to consider e-biking.

On most occasions when I get called a cheater, it's done in a light hearted manner. When this occurs, I usually refrain from replying with a snappy comeback and try to start a friendly conversation instead. Once, I even let a very nice older couple try my ride! I like to think I convinced at least one to consider e-biking.
That's good policy but it wouldn't work for me. When someone makes a comment like that to me there really isn't time to reply as I'm so far passed them they wouldn't hear it.

That's good policy but it wouldn't work for me. When someone makes a comment like that to me there really isn't time to reply as I'm so far passed them they wouldn't hear it.
I suppose this depends on how & where you ride. My bike is fairly stealthy and most don't recognize it as an e-bike when passing. Almost all the comments I get are in trail head parking lots or trail turnouts.

Back