Gocycle G3 user review

Hello! I have a "technical" question if the forum allows it:
I have not downloaded the G3 application update to avoid being limited in top speed (25 km / hour instead of 40 currently).
I do not know if there is a causal link: in the various "modes of driving" I can not get the engine running without pedaling by turning the "Handle A handle down". Until a few days ago I had no problem riding without pedaling.
Moreover, the application included a line that allowed this choice: this line has disappeared!
Thank you for your help!!

Same mess here, unsolved, unattended by Gocycle.

Have those issues been resolved with the app? Currently I am considering to buying a gocycle g3. When configurating the gocycle the first time does it check where you are located and chooses the top speed accordingly or is it possible to select USA1,USA2 ore europe by oneself?

Have those issues been resolved with the app? Currently I am considering to buying a gocycle g3. When configurating the gocycle the first time does it check where you are located and chooses the top speed accordingly or is it possible to select USA1,USA2 ore europe by oneself?

Hello. Yes, the case have been sorted.

I own 2 Gocycles G2 and only now I got them back AS I PURCHASED with its 40 km/h top speeds, but not after a long and stressful mess with Gocycle's brand owner/designer himself and the assistance of a formidably nice 3rd party e-bikes retailer in UK, that kindly sorted it out.

I don't know the 2017 G3 model, I only know that this super overpriced latest model bike declares now a 20 km/h, max 25 km/h top speed limit at the purchase by its original app. However is the reason to it, it just makes no sense, eBay is filled with items that does far better that that, the e-vehicles are getting better and better, nicer design solutions, far more featured and for a fraction of the price.

I really strongly regret ever buying a Gocycle, and probably it is my duty to explain.

Gocycle (Karbon Kinetics) suddenly produced an app "upgrade" from its v4.0 to v5.0 (there's absolutely no other way to access and set this bike) giving for granted that its customers should jump of joy, under this "improvement", to have their paid, purchased product top speed option 40 km/h killed to half. Gocycle furthermore didn't accept any customer unhappy at that. As I communicate with them complaining that they simply had no right to do that with my paid property (I've thrown 8000€ for the two of them at once and in trust), justly asking them to revert this "feature" as I've paid, or refund me. Their reply where insults, threats and they shut down my customer assistance that, in the case of such app-dependent bike, my two items became worth of nothing.

So no Gocycles, thanks.

I honestly appreciate the features of the bike as I bought, but this experience alerted me of a very, much serious matter than just a bike. Their capacity of invading it, collecting my bike's usage info, interacting as they please with my property without my permission, their arrogance on doing as they please whatever they liked with something that didn't belong to them anymore was simply inadmissible, besides of truly illegal in USA and European law. So, this bike is an item that has all to do with security, privacy, technological safety and in a world where everything IoT (internet of Things) is hacked, the attitude of the Brand's management lost totally any reasonable customer respect and trust. Never a retract, and apology, a respectful admission like "hey sorry, we really screwed up and didn't know how to get away with that". So, they can keep their bikes in their box, and I was almost upgrading, buying 4 more new ones for the family.

I am right now looking for another e-bike brand and I wont go anymore for anything that has an app talking to it, the lesson had been learned. I just want to ride in peace from A to B the way I like, without anyone messing with my property.

Good luck.

@Eduardo: oh ok well it sounds like a lot of hassle you has and I agree that is very disturbing that karbon kinetcs has access to gocycle data that much!
Maybe have a look at this ebike https://www.coboc.biz/products/one-rome/
It just has a button for switching on/off the assistance. If you like there is a speed kit available which enables up to 35 km/h but it isn't road legal in most/some regions.

However maybe someone who purchased a gocycle g3 recently can comment on whether it is possible to select the region/max speed by oneself?
In my usecase it would be sufficent if it is possible to select 20mph by hand (don't need the 25 mph). Or does the gocycle select the region/speed limit by itself because it checks the region and legal max assistance by itself as soon as it is connected to the internet throug the app?

@Eduardo: oh ok well it sounds like a lot of hassle you has and I agree that is very disturbing that karbon kinetcs has access to gocycle data that much!
Maybe have a look at this ebike https://www.coboc.biz/products/one-rome/
It just has a button for switching on/off the assistance. If you like there is a speed kit available which enables up to 35 km/h but it isn't road legal in most/some regions.

However maybe someone who purchased a gocycle g3 recently can comment on whether it is possible to select the region/max speed by oneself?
In my usecase it would be sufficent if it is possible to select 20mph by hand (don't need the 25 mph). Or does the gocycle select the region/speed limit by itself because it checks the region and legal max assistance by itself as soon as it is connected to the internet throug the app?

Thanks for the link!

Thanks for the link, thanks for your view as well.
I frankly don't remember ever hitting near 40 km/h with my Gocycle G2, maybe once to check it. As a civilised adult, I drive prudently and in respect to laws, I understand that at those speeds the whole bike should also have a better/safer setup. The matter was the invasion, the arrogance and full mistrust of the whole thing, also that if they are this much unprepared about privacy rights, digital rights and law, what quality of encryption, security and what type of use of the personal data they would use from it?

Please don't laugh but I am very much interested on these: http://www.fullycharged.com/a-bike-electric-bike-clive-sinclair.
These are (declared) 25 km/h, so faster than a Gocycle G3 purchased in the USA.

I assume that whoever sells a bike with a declared top speed, he/she has no rights to invade it and change it afterwards.
I paid 8000€ so, why one should pay that much and be treated as a in North Korea?

Hi there, I am new to this forum but had wanted to post my terrible experience and customer service from Gocycle as it seems to ring true here.

I had purchased a Gocycle G3 electric bike off a website called gumtree and upon delivery the bike was boxed but I had checked the serial number against all of the 3 police bike databases and all stated that the bike was not stolen nor had been registered as, so I completed the transaction. Upon assembly I realised that the bike was in reseller mode and so needed to be registered via an app, which I had attempted to do but to no avail. The seller was no longer answering calls or texts so I called Karbon Kinetics ltd (gocycle) and spoke with their tech team who informed me that the bike had been registered stolen by themselves and they had subsequently claimed the loss from their insurance company a year ago. You can imagine my shock at the news especially as one would expect that a bike company that portrays themselves as a RESPONSIBLE organisation would have registered the bike as stolen on the police databases as a matter of principle with immediate effect, something which i found absolutely astounding as surely any reasonable person would do so. They stated that there was an open police investigation and although claimed via insurance, they would need police direction before any decisions could be made on their side, at which point they gave me the details of the investigative officer.

After reporting the fraud (in my instance) to the police I had discussions with the police who then wrote to Karbon Kinetics advising them that although the investigation into the original theft was still ongoing there are no lines of inquiry left relating to the bike itself and requesting that they unlock it. At this point I feel as though Karbon Kinetics began to treat me in a very unprofessional manner and after chasing them each day for weeks on end they informed me that they now had to contact the insurance company as they were worried about liability and possible defamation from my part if something went wrong? Again following weeks of chasing and having drafted a non-liability and non-defamation agreement which I had hoped would allay the concerns of the MD Richard Thorpe, i was then told that the bike is the property of the insurance company and that they (the insurance company) would write to me at some point, which obviously they haven't done. I had requested the details of the insurance company numerous times to sort things out with them, but they have refused to provide this. As such I am now in limbo as the bike is unusable nor can i negotiate with the insurance company directly as they refuse to assist me any further.

I have never been treated in such a way by a company before in my life and I find the fact that Gocycle would not report a stolen bike as stolen and let an innocent consumer purchase one after following all relevant procedure as astonishing and the lack of assistance on their part seems totally unreasonable. As such I have been advising all of friends and colleagues to avoid this company at all costs as it seems they have no empathy nor any desire to help.

Thanks for the review. We're looking for a pair of small folding bikes to take on trips in our Tesla Model S. I've been looking at second hand GoCycles since I like the thought that went into it folding and having a custom docking station with travel bag. The prices are a lot more than I want to spend though.

As a design improvement, having removable batteries would be better for us since we can then take them up to the hotel room at night to charge rather than charging from an inverter off the Tesla battery.

Any recommendations on similar lightweight, travel friendly, folding bikes that would fit our intended use?

I have ridden extensively a Gocycle 2 I purchased at the end of last year. First, anything on two wheels is the result of a lot of trade offs, its not an electric motorcycle, its not a 65 pound electric commuter with full pannier capability. At the US preset of 15.5 mile per hour, the battery lasts a long time, the recommended charging protocol is to charge the bike fully after a use so I have not tested the full range but at the 15.5 preset, I have ridden 20 miles and it registers a lot of remaining battery life. I personally like to ride at about 17.5 max speed, the bike is much more enjoyable to ride at that setting to me and at that setting, the battery draws down heavily after a 20 mile ride but it's a really enjoyable ride, its fun, stable and comfortable. Its a pedal assist bike, if someone wants it to run without pedal assist, maybe they want an electric motorcycle.

I would not be comfortable riding much faster than 17.5, because of its size and dimensions, it's stable but not as stable as a big 65 pound commuter or my road bike. Additionally, because of the gearing it would be difficult to ride much faster than that speed for me, it would need a fourth or fifth gear.

One of its big advantages is weight and general portability, I have to lift the bike up and down a few steps during my commute, I can do this easily and store the bike in my office and apartment easily because of the weight and its size. I would not be comfortable locking it and leaving it outside for any length of time and its easy to grab and carry and stick in a corner inside some place so I don't have to keep it outside. The fact that it is easy to lift, carry and store is significant to me, but the trade off is reduced battery life and maybe reduced cruising speed.

The best thing a person should do when they are considering this bike or other bikes is think about how they are going to use it, how many miles they are going to ride, how fast they want to ride, how much cargo they want to take with them, where they are going to store it at home and where they want to take it, and whether or not they will have to regularly lift and carry it,
for me it is perfect for relatively easy commuting because I can carry it and store it and its nice to ride. Tires are another long list of trade offs, I don't see how criticizing the tires the bike comes with is a legitimate criticism of the bike, they make different types of tires that offer whatever characteristics a person desires.

I was thinking of buying a GoCycle but I found the price high given speed and range characteristics. Looks like others agree. I also had no idea that, via software upgrades, the bike's speed could be reduced! That's a Show Stopper for me.

What's the point? Car's have the ability to exceed speed limits, right. We rely on driver good judgement & law enforcement to ensure safe roads. Why should e-bikes be different? This government 'control mentality' is worrisome. Riding a bike gives me a sense of freedom - now you want to diminish that? No thanks I'd rather walk!

No I don't think it is overpriced. There are other character like weight egonomics, Design that have to be considered too. 20 mph is fast enough for me for commuting. Karbon kinetcs could have been forced to limit the top speed because of legislation.

Purchased a gocycle G3 recently! After a couple of rides (commuting around 33 km each day) I have to say: This thing is freaking amazing!
Fast, lightweight, awesome design details, very good overall quality, high flexibility through app configuration, good portability, amazing looks and powerful when needed.

Never used the full capacity of the battery in one ride but I estimate the range at 20mph around 25-32 miles in city mode (without a lot of steep hills) .

If you use the Gocycle on mixed terrain (street/gravel) I recommed using Tioga Powerblock S-Spec tyres instead of the mounted ones. They are also low weight but have a fast and slip-proof design.

Thanks for the review. We're looking for a pair of small folding bikes to take on trips in our Tesla Model S. I've been looking at second hand GoCycles since I like the thought that went into it folding and having a custom docking station with travel bag. The prices are a lot more than I want to spend though.

As a design improvement, having removable batteries would be better for us since we can then take them up to the hotel room at night to charge rather than charging from an inverter off the Tesla battery.

Any recommendations on similar lightweight, travel friendly, folding bikes that would fit our intended use?

Give me a call/email
The Gocycle GS version is a much better price for just about all of the same features!
305-310-3354
[email protected]

EBR,

I'm selling all my e-bikes below but would like to add to the discussion.

First off, with all small companies making niche products, expect long response times.

I have the G2 and is the best e-bike you can find for it's aesthetics, size, weight and for maintenance free riding due to no chain or Derailleur to mess with. I fixed a flat with zero tools in just a few minutes as well as I carry a spare inter tube and mini hand pump in my backpack.

Do you really want to go 25 mph on a city bike with balloon tires? I did until I tried turning so the bike is now limited again.

I only have two criticisms:

1) The gear drive isn't smooth and very mechanical feeling compared to hub motors which takes away the fun. I actually prefer my BESV LX1 and PS1 better as the assist feels more like an extension of your legs thus more fun to ride.
2) Turning is awkward due to the front wheel drive.

I'm selling both my LX1, PS1.

Thanks

/k

Last edited by a moderator:
@RichardThorpeGocycleDesigner Kudos to you for being willing to engage consumers in this forum as a product designer! I appreciate that you've addressed every single point of criticism, and much more objectively than I'd expect of someone who knows this product better than anyone.

I would agree with you that my comment about the folding design being not practical is not a fair statement after looking back at it. I have folded it up to put in my trunk before (can't do that with a Stromer) for the sake of taking it places. It is less of a folder than the other folding bikes I mentioned, but you acknowledge that fairly. To be more specific, the folding process does take a bit of time and I don't find it practical to do on a daily basis. I also don't find it convenient enough that I want to do it frequently for the sake of taking it in the car. That the folding design is integrated into rear suspension and an encased drivetrain deserves praise for thoughtful engineering.

A product can't be everything to everyone and the designer oftentimes has to bear the criticism with a grin. I have a design degree and have also had the experience of starting something and bringing it to the marketplace. I'm sure some days you feel like this guy:

We had the wettest winter on record for quite some time here in Seattle and my G3 didn't get ridden much. I've started using it again now that it's dry out again. 75% of the trips I do are my 11 mile roundtrip to my office and most of that is only with a laptop and some lunch. The G3 is great for that and I am fortunate to have the Stromer for heavier duty applications. It's not unlike having a coupe and a station wagon in the garage...some days one is preferred to the other.

Thanks again for engaging in this conversation!

Regards,
Tai
Absolutely LOVE the YT video. Sent this to my boss and told him to show it to the next employee that blames IT for something not working as intended.

Since airlines do not allow batteries (lithium, ...) in checked baggage, leads to two questions about air travel with G3.

1. How easy is it to remove and then reinstall the battery?
2. Is the battery capacity low enough for carry on?

If air travel with G3 is infeasible, then Go cycle should consider making the battery user removable and offer a battery that can be carried on.

A non-electric version, no battery and a front wheel without motor, will work too. More gears will help.

Since airlines do not allow batteries (lithium, ...) in checked baggage, leads to two questions about air travel with G3.

1. How easy is it to remove and then reinstall the battery?
2. Is the battery capacity low enough for carry on?

If air travel with G3 is infeasible, then Go cycle should consider making the battery user removable and offer a battery that can be carried on.

A non-electric version, no battery and a front wheel without motor, will work too. More gears will help.

You might want to look into the Bike Friday e-Pakit. It uses stackable batteries each under 100wh. That said, TSA and airlines seem to all have different rules about what batteries you can take. TSA says you can take two batteries. Some airlines don't allow batteries at all.

I've decided to try again with building a folding electric bike. Have a Dahon Qix D8 on the way and also pre-ordered a Swytch 50 mile 250w Dahon kit. Total cost between the two for under $1,300. Expect the Swytch to arrive much later this year. I had previously done the pre-order for the Copenhagen Wheel, but ended up canceling it for a full refund when I got the GoCycle G3. Glad I did because it seems to have mixed reviews. Hope the Swytch will live up to my expectations off having a truly portable and full function e-bike!

Hello,

I just bought the Gocycle G3. The reason that I bought the Gocycle over other brands was because of the design with boaters in mind. The light weight with a 500 wat motor. The materials used and the technology! No cords, derailer, etc hanging off of the bike make it the best bike out there for boating and boating in a salt water environment. In my opinion there really was no other choice. If you spend anywhere from a few hundred thousand to a few million for a boat the $5000 for a 36 lb bike that you can store in the lazarette and cary over the swimstep to the tender is not a real concern. Also storing it in tight places with all of the stuff that hangs off of the other bikes would be a problem. If I was young and struggling again I would not even consider the Gocycle. Not at $4500 bare bones! You have to buy the right tool for the job at hand. You don't buy a wrench then complain that it doesn't work on screws. With the research that I did it was made pretty clear that the Gocycle was designed with boaters in mind. It's perfect for that purpose. Plus it's a beautiful piece of gear! It looks like it was made by a former McLaren engineer.

I would like to make a suggestion though. The automatic shifting mode should be easier to engage or disengage. I know that you guys are trying to stay away from buttons. I get that - but.....maybe a soft button?

Back