Gocycle G3 user review

Hello! I have a "technical" question if the forum allows it:
I have not downloaded the G3 application update to avoid being limited in top speed (25 km / hour instead of 40 currently).
I do not know if there is a causal link: in the various "modes of driving" I can not get the engine running without pedaling by turning the "Handle A handle down". Until a few days ago I had no problem riding without pedaling.
Moreover, the application included a line that allowed this choice: this line has disappeared!
Thank you for your help!!

Hello! I have a "technical" question if the forum allows it:
I have not downloaded the G3 application update to avoid being limited in top speed (25 km / hour instead of 40 currently).
I do not know if there is a causal link: in the various "modes of driving" I can not get the engine running without pedaling by turning the "Handle A handle down". Until a few days ago I had no problem riding without pedaling.
Moreover, the application included a line that allowed this choice: this line has disappeared!
Thank you for your help!!
I updated the G3 app. Does anyone have the previous apk for Android phones? This really sucks. Thinking about selling the bike

I must admit to being extremely upset about the new app, I just bought a G3; it was wonderful to ride around the airfield and the cycle tracks around here, with lots of envious comments. Update the app/firmware and suddenly the bike is restricted to a fast walking pace! Lets just say I don't take it out anymore, its embarrassing; the golf carts are faster than what is now effectively a really expensive kids toy bike.

Emailed the GoCycle support and they just don't answer, the documentation says you can't downgrade, the app reviews are now awful. It won't be long and it will hit some more influential press. Maybe this is a cunning plan to make the upcoming electric Brompton more appealing?

I must admit to being extremely upset about the new app, I just bought a G3; it was wonderful to ride around the airfield and the cycle tracks around here, with lots of envious comments. Update the app/firmware and suddenly the bike is restricted to a fast walking pace! Lets just say I don't take it out anymore, its embarrassing; the golf carts are faster than what is now effectively a really expensive kids toy bike.

Emailed the GoCycle support and they just don't answer, the documentation says you can't downgrade, the app reviews are now awful. It won't be long and it will hit some more influential press. Maybe this is a cunning plan to make the upcoming electric Brompton more appealing?

I have the same problem. My 4.499 EUR electric bicycle has just become obsolete. What a waist of money.

I have the same problem. My 4.499 EUR electric bicycle has just become obsolete. What a waist of money.
Personally I mainly blame the update 5.2 for the fact that they did not restore the possibility of operating the motor without pedaling (handle A wrist down), which was possible 2 months ago when 'purchase.

Personally the fact that my bike can be remotely disabled by the manufacturer without telling me disturbs me somewhat. What would happen if you got your car back from a service and found Ford had limited it to 60mph*? I wasn't aware of any agreement I had Karbon Kinetics that allowed them limit the way my bike works so fundamentally after I had bought it!

Unfortunately I had no choice on the app as it was the only app I could download when I bought the bike, but I certainly had no warning on what it would do to the bike, looking at the instructions on Google Play Store it does imply that it will restrict the bike, but it certainly is not obvious. The reviews are getting 1 star now and they do say it limits the assisted speed.

The App updated automatically yesterday (which is even more annoying, what if it geolocates me now? What if it required the app be connected at all times? How would I know? would I have a choice?) so when I get back to the bike on Monday I'll try again, but the demo screens have not changed to show any other options.

Notably my support request is still going unanswered, but then it looks like their web site is down today as well, so I expect 'whingeing' customers is the least of their worries.

(*unless you peddle yourself downhill)

Is there any news regarding the app issue? Has it been fixed yet? I was about to pull the trigger on a G3 but now I won't if it's limited to 20mph.

Is there any news regarding the app issue? Has it been fixed yet? I was about to pull the trigger on a G3 but now I won't if it's limited to 20mph.
My G3 can still go at 40 km / h (Belgium) after downloading the app 5.2
Personally I still have the following problem: when buying I could run the engine WITHOUT pedaling. Now more!

I have been emailing Customer Support for the last week or so, I'm just getting the run around with them avoiding the question and telling me to download the latest app. I would be curious to know how @LKeene has still got 40Km/h, my G3 wasn't restricted, now it is limited to a slow jog.

One saving grace is if you switch to one of the US profiles it is limited to 20mph and the throttle works again without peddling. but 20mph still isn't much before you look like an idiot with everyone else passing you and the low gearing making you look like you are on a (£3000) kids bike!

I think it's probably time to write to some of the newspapers that gave the bike a glowing review, to tell them about Karbon Kinetics remotely restricting the bikes without the users permission.

It's amusing that @RichardThorpeGocycleDesigner is very quiet on the subject!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've sold my GoCycle G3 to another forum member in nearby Portland, OR. Was a great bike while I had it and I hope they get the firmware issues resolved to everyone's satisfaction. I'm back to just riding my Stromer ST1 Limited Edition.

Regards,
Tai

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've sold my GoCycle G3 to another forum member in nearby Portland, OR. Was a great bike while I had it and I hope they get the firmware issues resolved to everyone's satisfaction. I'm back to just riding my Stromer ST1 Limited Edition.

Regards,
Tai

Did the same thing, sold it for 2.000 EUR, which is a bummer. I'm riding a Riese and Muller Tinker bike now, with bicycle helmet :-( but at 45km/h :)

@EricDeWitte: I've come to the same conclusion i.e. gonna test ride a Tinker HS in a few weeks. It looks like a fantastic bike, I can't wait! I need something compact enough to fit in my Toyota Corolla (the back seats don't fold down so I may have to take the front wheel off). Too bad about the GoCycle, but that's how it goes I guess.

Hi guys. On a lark I just checked the Android app store reviews for the GoCycle app and company representatives are now responding to complaints in the negative reviews by saying most of the issues have been resolved but you have to contact the company and provide them with your frame number. Can someone verify that full speed/throttle functionality has been restored?

So I have finally had some movement on my contact with GoCycle technical report. I had to actually call them up, but they updated my 'profile' and the bike now has a top speed restricted to 25mph (40kph) which is more than I can attain by peddling or using the throttle, so effectively it is de-restricted. I was told this is only available because my bicycle was previously de-restricted; which was verified by my frame number. The implication is that GoCycle know how my bike is configured and also have historical records. I am still very uncomfortable with them being able to do this at all.

Bottom line, my bike is back to not being restricted and I was told this should be the norm for other users. When I use the app it warns me that my bicycle my not be legal, notably though this is my choice, not GoCycle's. How it affects new users I don't know.

How this situation affects the resale value of our expensive toys is also unknown.

But I wasn't sorry to see it go to another home and am enjoying my BESV PS1 (carbon fibre/aluminium frame, 7 speed, proper shocks front and rear, and beautifully clear centre mounted display) much, much more.

Best Wishes
Derek

It's hard to believe you like it much much more. I have a 1000 miles on my BESV PS1 it's not perfect. The greasy chain falls off from time to time while riding and the derailer requires adjustment like most bikes. Despite the restriction, the GoCycle is faster. Yes it has a carbon fiber frame but is still a couple pounds heavier than the GoCycle. Even the battery sucks at 6 ah. That's 7 miles in level 3 assist and that bike still cost $3200 bucks. Oh and no snap on wheels or throttle option. What I do like about the PS1 is the smoother and quieter ride. The GoCycle sounds harsh. The motor kicks in and out and is more unnatural. Both bikes can be better for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have finally had some movement on my contact with GoCycle technical report. I had to actually call them up, but they updated my 'profile' and the bike now has a top speed restricted to 25mph (40kph) which is more than I can attain by peddling or using the throttle, so effectively it is de-restricted. I was told this is only available because my bicycle was previously de-restricted; which was verified by my frame number. The implication is that GoCycle know how my bike is configured and also have historical records. I am still very uncomfortable with them being able to do this at all.

Bottom line, my bike is back to not being restricted and I was told this should be the norm for other users. When I use the app it warns me that my bicycle my not be legal, notably though this is my choice, not GoCycle's. How it affects new users I don't know.

How this situation affects the resale value of our expensive toys is also unknown.
It affects all.
Think a yacht owner that goes on private property places where no speed limits count.
Think of you having paid a Tesla and in the morning the factory beheaded its top speeds to half without your permission.

Gocycle must stop business if they can't distinguish rights from crimes.

Welcome to the Gocycle nightmare. My case is worst I believe because I lost 8000€ (plus stupid accessories) in full trust that a McLaren ex-designer would never downgrade the top speed of anything. Mr. Thorpe himself replied me in written threatening to sue me for me giving him the two plausible options under the European Consumer Law: fix or refund.

Note, as the colleague here above correctly stated, GOCYCLE CAN ACCESS YOUR BIKE'S DATA, PLUS, THEY CAN DO WHATEVER THEY PLEASE WITH THAT, including hacking your top speeds off whenever they choose.

In here I made a beautiful video so people can use it to save their time explaining to other Gocycle friends, I hope you like guys.

I’ve been enjoying following the comments on this review and really appreciate hearing the feedback from real ebike owners. I think there are some points raised that we can improve on. What I personally find interesting here is that the Gocycle G3 is being compared with the Stromer and mainly on criteria that are the Stromer's key strengths - high mileage commuting/range/big battery/big motor. As the designer of Gocycle, I’m really encouraged by this given Gocycle is half the weight and also portable! I feel like all of the many years of development and progress made from G1, to G2, G3 and soon our GS is paying off. We are probably closer than ever to delivering a game changing ebike for urban and recreational commuters in value, practical usage, fun, and performance – and in a package that also brings with it many other benefits for the owner simply not found on any traditional ebike currently available.

My sense though in reading is that the Stromer is probably the right choice for most of the reviewers. It’s a very solid and capable ebike.

I wanted to add a few notes though on some of the comments such as “don’t ride it in the rain” which is not true. The G1 was very revolutionary when it launched in 2009 and we wanted to be cautious while we gathered service data from real customers over years and 10,000s of miles. So we had a note of caution in the manual on riding in the rain. I think we also had a note like “if it rains be smart/take your car or the train”, yikes we got stick for that :) !!! I’ve ridden bicycles all of my life and commuted daily rain/snow/sun – very few times I enjoy riding in the rain – but anyway…we quickly confirmed that the Gocycle design was fine in all weather conditions, and we’ve opened up Cleandrives with 8,000 miles of year round British weather riding and the chain and drive components are immaculate. We sell a lot of product to boat owners and we know that while you can never prevent corrosion, we excel against competitors in that area under salty sea air conditions. Last week it rained most all days and I road my G3 to work throughout. In 2012, we had months of torrential British rain and our test fleet of G2s ran everyday collecting 1000’s of miles of heavy wet weather riding. But results also will vary on how the owner takes care of the product. Following the guidelines of the manufacturer and reading the owner's manual will give you the best and highest possible service life.

This is an interesting recent Gocycle owner story on how Gocycle is used in all weather conditions:

https://gocycle.com/review/the-4-seasons-gocycle-rider/

On the comment on security, the cable lock referred to in the review comes free with the product and is mainly for “coffee shop” security as with any cable lock.

If you want a more secure option, the Gocycle lock holster is super convenient, fast and has a sold silver secure rating.

I use it daily and it works well. We’ve put a lot of thought into how and where it is mounted which goes for all Gocycle’s accessories and design. Gocycle does also have anti-theft capability via the app too and we’ve helped a number of customers recover their stolen Gocycles.

Gocycle accessories are more expensive than traditional bikes because they are bespoke designs for Gocycle. That’s a personal choice for potential customers whether to back a company / product that is taking a clean sheeted design approach with total integration or a pick and mix approach from off the shelf standard bike parts.

On the Gocycle Performance tires, they have very low rolling resistance and are a performance item. If you want more durable tires, there are a wide range of alternatives. I run the Gocycle tires in the summer and Schwalbe Big Ben tires in the winter.

On the battery fuel level - we are currently testing a new version of our fuel gauge. After you live with and get to know your ebike what ever the brand, you become less sensitive to range anxiety and in my opinion, the fuel guage should not be a major driver in deciding what kind of ebike to buy. But we’re trying to consider a totally different approach to range information for the user which could be really interesting in the future. Stay tuned!

On the comment about the folding being a novelty and not of practical value, probably that is not a fair statement. Gocycle is not like a Brompton or a Dahon - meaning it is not designed to quickly fold up to take on a train. There's been no compromise to the riding fit and geometry and so that sort of usage is not really a part of the Gocycle's DNA. But the stow-ability of Gocycle is definitely practical and useful! and is one of the key benefits that comes with owning a Gocycle and something that a Stromer in this comparison review cannot do! There are many many times that I have broken it down to put in the car to integrate with family errands, work, social occasions, weather - it is an added convenience that really highlights the flexibility of the product. Having two Gocycles with one folded up over the winter for example saves space. It's practical not just for commuters, but boaters, caravan owners and light aircraft owners.... But also, the Pitstopwheels are much easier to fix flat tires on than traditional bicycles and you don't even get your hands greasy. What other ebike weighs around 35lbs, can drive a 200 lb guy 20 miles/20 mph - and is small enough to fit four into the back of a Ford Focus or a few with room for the dog?

https://www.facebook.com/2068158594...6815859442009/512326365557622/?type=3&theater

I’m encourage that Gocycle is being compared head to head with Stromer on commuting usages. That says something about the progress we have made as a company and we appreciate the feedback given here by real owners. It is worth mentioning though that my approach to how an ebike should be designed is different. Two main points 1) Lightweight is VERY important for bicycles and Ebikes, and when there has been a design choice to add more batteries and weight to increase range for example, I’ve not compromised at the expense of increasing weight. 2) Gocycle’s philosophy is a hybrid approach, two-wheel / balanced drive – you power the rear the motor powers the front. I've not compromised on my view that human power input and health/well-being benefits that come with exercise/cycling should always be at the core of pedal two-wheelers.
Hello Mr. Thorpe, glad to read you here.
Kindly explain why you had hacked us all with your app, we, those who supported your brand by putting in plain trust 4000€ for you (I bought TWO of your bikes, say thanks at least please) all of us bought it knowing that the bikes had a 40 km/h top speed and then you invaded it and unauthorisedly killed it to half (25 km/h in our case in Europe).
You have no rights to do so, its a shame what you made.
Now your product doesn't even charge either, no matter how diligently we follow your website's and documented infos.
Your customer assistance is not assisting at anything really, no one replies.

Do not dare to say a word that we don't have the right to be pissed at you.
I'm struggling to have anyone rational at Gocycle sorting this issue honorably since the unhappy idea you had to behead our properties to its half capacity with your "upgrade" v5.0.
You should have a manager and a lawyer lecturing you that these post-sold-goods invasion and breach of marketing good practices against your customers is not polite, at least.

Its an insult what you are doing, I am very sorry if someone anyhow forced you to do so, it is really not our problem, you must to restore it, kindly either FIX IT or REFUND US ALL.
Have a better day

Back