Go from 48v to 52v pro and cons?

Soarcj

What are the pros and cons of going from a 48v battery to a 52 v battery? Do I need a new controller? Need advice Will display work the same?

You might need to provide more details of your current ebike? Rad Power Bikes rear hub 750w that use the 48v/11.5ah Dolphin packs can upgrade to the 52v 11.5ah or 13.5ah Luna Cycle battery pack and slide into the existing tray because of the controller is made to handle the extra power. They also have to upgrade the battery charger to one that can handle 52v. Folks said the extra voltage will improve acceleration and slightly more range depending how you use the extra power.

Replacing to higher voltage batteries is the easiest and cheapest way to hotrod an electric bike. Of course, at the risk of frying the controller and burning the motor. It is harder to do this on name brand ebikes since most have narrow programmed cutoff limits to protect the ebike. However, a 52 volt usually can safely replace a 48 volt battery, just keep the new battery in the 80-85% charged since the programmed safety cutoff will trigger if it is fully charged.

Yes, the motor gets weaker and slower as your battery gets near fully drained.

Last edited:
Depends on your controller. I own a few controllers that are designed to run on either 36V or 48V. I have one 36V only controller that would blow up at 48V. My BBS02 controller will run at 48V and 52V, but not at 36V.

All of my own 36V/48V controllers have been run at 36, 48, and 52V, so I know they have no high voltage cutoff. Meanwhile, they can set the low voltage cutoff properly for 36V and 48V, but not for 52V. You have to count on the battery BMS shutting down the battery if voltage gets too low.

As for the LCD, depends on that too. While icon is off on 52V, if your LCD can display the actual voltage, that should be relatively correct. I know mine show the proper 58.6V when my freshly charged 52V pack is attached.

None of my bikes have speed limiters. They go faster with higher voltage. A bike with a speed limiter might accelerate faster but then you;re stuck with max speed.

What are the pros and cons of going from a 48v battery to a 52 v battery? Do I need a new controller? Need advice Will display work the same?
It’s been a few years since you posted….. Did you ever upgrade to a 52v ? And if you did could you tell how it worked out for you ….. thank you

Back