Giant talon e sport

Massive

Region
United Kingdom
Hi. Newbie here requesting any assistance possible please.
Had the bike for about 4 months, done just over 600 miles.
Went out yesterday and the chain kept slipping off the teeth, especially when any exertion was put on the pedals. Clatters gears like anything and sounds like trying to change gear on a car without the clutch. I’m suspecting chain stretch or gear cable stretch.
Any insights anyone?
Regards, Ian

That’s what I thought, I’d expect at least twice the distance from a chain surely? Thanks for the advice and the tool recommendation. Much appreciated

Here's some things to do and not do to extend the life of your chain:
1. clean and lube your chain frequently. I do mine after two or three long rides.
2. don't shift gears under power. Keep pedalling, but ease off when shifting. Try avoid shifting when going up a hill.
3. Check your chain for wear regularly, using a chain checker. If you leave it too long the worn chain will also prematurely wear out the front ring and rear cassette, which can be expensive.

One of my ebikes is a Cannondale e-gravel bike, with a drivetrain that's comparable to yours. I have 5,000 miles on the bike and I'm on my second chain, which still has a lot of life left in it. I'm also on the original cassette.

Here's some things to do and not do to extend the life of your chain:
1. clean and lube your chain frequently. I do mine after two or three long rides.
2. don't shift gears under power. Keep pedalling, but ease off when shifting. Try avoid shifting when going up a hill.
3. Check your chain for wear regularly, using a chain checker. If you leave it too long the worn chain will also prematurely wear out the front ring and rear cassette, which can be expensive.

One of my ebikes is a Cannondale e-gravel bike, with a drivetrain that's comparable to yours. I have 5,000 miles on the bike and I'm on my second chain, which still has a lot of life left in it. I'm also on the original cassette.
Hi. I think I might have found the problem. The large nut which retains the front sprocket was a little loose, possibly causing a chain alignment issue. Hoping to get out tomorrow to try it out. Thanks

Hi. I think I might have found the problem. The large nut which retains the front sprocket was a little loose, possibly causing a chain alignment issue. Hoping to get out tomorrow to try it out. Thanks
Didn’t realise about changing gear under power. That’s what I’m doing regularly. Very useful info cheers

Back