GIANT RideControl App 2.0

iOS14.1 on iPhone 12 Pro.
4% -> failed
13% -> failed
didn't even bother trying a 3th time.

Used my girlfriends Android (Samsung A50)
73% -> failed
2nd time it finally got updated.

One thing that might not be clear is that you need to keep the phone, if it goes into screen lock then the updates seem to stop (even if the app is still 'open'

Evening all, I too have downloaded the new app on iOS 14.1 on iPhone XR with a quick-e 2019. App wants to update the software but crashes at 4% every time. Tried all the troubleshooting tips but to no avail. Guess we wait for v1.0.0.1 or beyond.
That's disappointing - make use of the report bug or feedback on the app store to get the list of glitches back to the developers.

I found that if the screen goes dim or off while updating the app will fail. My workaround was to tap the screen every few seconds while running the update until it finished the load.

I went on my 2nd ride with the new app today. It still worked flawlessly. Our temperature is now at 5C and I see quite a drain on my iPhone battery when my phone is attached to my bike stem. i started my ride with my phone at 85% charge and after 14km and 45 minutes it was down to 1% charge.

This is a function of the cooler temp but also because I kept the screen active for most of my ride. Not sure if this app drains batteries quicker but I think I will need to get a power bank for the winter.

Our temperature is now at 5C and I see quite a drain on my iPhone battery when my phone is attached to my bike stem. i started my ride with my phone at 85% charge and after 14km and 45 minutes it was down to 1% charge.
What?! I use an Android phone (Huawei Honor 20) and the battery keeps for 4-5.5 hours of riding with the screen on. What's wrong with your iPhone?

I found that if the screen goes dim or off while updating the app will fail. My workaround was to tap the screen every few seconds while running the update until it finished the load.
You should be able change the screen display time in settings. After my first update attempt failed with the screen on a 30 sec time out I changed it to a 30 minute time out.

Yes, well it was discovering what caused app to fail, then no need to change display because load finished.

The screen time setting has no affect in iOS. It still fails.

My previous iPhone died quickly in the cold, I bought an adapter and just powered it from the bike.

Ok, so I cannot install update 4/4 using my android Galaxy S9. I contacted GIANT UK and have the below reply. Having had ongoing software issues with the EVO/bike since purchasing 18 months ago to say I'm fed up with GIANT is an understatement.
It's time GIANT came out of the closet and interacted with its customers in a honest and open way. S maybe in the new year there will be an updated app.

Thank you for your recent enquiry.
I’ve spoken to the app developers and they are aware of this issue. It is currently being investigated and the team hope to release an update that will resolve this issue in the coming weeks, so please keep checking for this.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience caused in the meantime

The screen time setting has no affect in iOS. It still fails.

My previous iPhone died quickly in the cold, I bought an adapter and just powered it from the bike.
i have a 2020 Giant. I am under the impression that an attachment to allow a phone to run off of the bikes battery is not possible.

i have a 2020 Giant. I am under the impression that an attachment to allow a phone to run off of the bikes battery is not possible.
I have a USB port on the side of my 2020 RideControl Evo display, not the biggest output but it's got to help.

Failing that i managed to pick up a Phillips power bank for £3 yesterday, looks like a small plug in speaker on the lightning connector of the iphone - only 2500mAh but again it helps if you need it (and being not much bigger than my thumb is easily carried in a pocket )

I have a USB port on the side of my 2020 RideControl Evo display, not the biggest output but it's got to help.

Failing that i managed to pick up a Phillips power bank for £3 yesterday, looks like a small plug in speaker on the lightning connector of the iphone - only 2500mAh but again it helps if you need it (and being not much bigger than my thumb is easily carried in a pocket )
Mini USB charger is an advertised feature on the 2019 EVO. However there are also other advertised EVO features that have never worked reliably on my bike.

Just been to the local Giant store in Norwich. They have updated the ride control from their laptop and charged £10. They seemed to recommend updating via a store as more reliable than the app (even the new one). Anyway, now I can open the app and see if it was worth the trip.

Back