GIANT RideControl App 2.0

New app version today on Android. Haven't tested it yet

Just tried the updated app on my iPhone. It actually tracked my speed in the moment not delayed a quarter mile down the hill. Distance seemed accurate. Missing was the %battery charge left. A hiccup was downloading my ride the first time I asked... could be operator error but it worked after a couple tries. When initially connecting to your bike make sure the app has no additional updates first. After it ‘connects’ it will ask you to disconnect... just turn off your bike and turn it back on. Then the app with find your bike and connect again... then you are all set. 😁🚴‍♀️

Has anyone had any issues with their speed sensor failing ?
I have a 2019 quick e with around 1800 miles on it. It’s a year old and has run great for the whole time so far. Recently I have had the speed readout drop occasionally to 0 while travelling. This has been intermittent until last week when it didn’t come back.
This has had the effect of cutting all power and saying the bike needs service.
I’ve checked the magnet position and today booked it in to the local Giant shop.
Just wanted to know if any others have had similar issues with giant ?

The update is the same crap as before. Pausing a ride makes the metrics freeze, no Strava link. It is even not possible to edit Strava connection credentials!

My extensive use of the app follows:
Bring battery out to garage and insert into bike.
Use app to verify battery charge.
Turn off app.
Go for a ride and use Strava for details on distances and use LEDs to monitor remaining charge.
Get home, and start app - check charge level.
Turn off app.
Remove battery and return it to the warmth of my home.
Charge battery to appropriate level (storage or ride again the next day).
Repeat.

Until we get better functionality, it's still not worthwhile for a replacement for other apps like Strava.
Occasionally I'll use it to tune motor outputs, but i generally leave that alone. Last time I tried that, it didn't seem to keep the settings and thats a poor design. I should be able to set it and it keep those settings until I choose to change them. Perhaps Giant can contract the work out the Specialized developers...

Upon picking up my newly tuned and updated bike from my LBS yesterday, was advised to download most recent Ride Control app. My husband, for some reason, was able to download and sign in with no problem, and connected to bike at store to be sure it connected. It did!

Then, this morning, I downloaded it. Would not let me sign in. When I clicked "forget password" - yes, "forget", not "forgot" - a reset code was supposedly emailed to me. Only it took so long to receive the code that the process timed out. Repeated several times without success until I was locked out!

Finally was able to set up a new account with alternate email, but now all my ride history is gone.

When they say the password should have 1 capital letter and 1 number, they mean that literally. ONLY one of each. Tried several times to set a password before figuring that out.

So, now I've got the "new" app active on my phone - says it's version 1.2.2 (!). Need to go down to garage and try to connect with bike for what I'm sure will be further headaches.

Maybe I need to drink - a LOT - first 😜!

I suspect, after all this, I'll end up back with the much older, but way more functional, version that I got months ago from APK Pure, that at least records my rides and gives me accurate battery info.

Giant makes a great bike, but, STILL one of the absolute worst apps I've ever encountered!

Giant makes a great bike, but, STILL one of the absolute worst apps I've ever encountered!

Hopefully Giant is putting some of that Covid boom money into software development. I had issues with the first version connecting, but subsequent versions have fixed that bug and it connects and updates the bike alright. I don't do ride tracking or anything with it though.

Hopefully Giant is putting some of that Covid boom money into software development. I had issues with the first version connecting, but subsequent versions have fixed that bug and it connects and updates the bike alright. I don't do ride tracking or anything with it though.
Taiwan is giving out Covid boom money 🤣🤣🤣?

Just installed the new app on my Android phone - when it connected to the bike (2019 Road E+1 Pro) it said that the module needed updated - took about 3 minutes.
When I tried to connect to the bike it once again told me that it needed to be updated - did the update again and had the same result - seems to be stuck in a loop where it doesn't recognize the update.
Tried pulling the battery, uninstalling & reinstalling the app, rebooted phone - best guess is that it is still buggy software

dave

I had problems in the past trying to do updates with Wifi enabled on my phone. Strangely, if i turned off Wifi and let the process happen over cell data it works. Haven't tried this version yet though.

Last edited:
The fact that this update makes sure my ebike “permorfs it’s best” does not inspire confidence. :p

Attachments

• BA74AF54-DA96-438B-B0FB-FC243701A59D.jpeg
    BA74AF54-DA96-438B-B0FB-FC243701A59D.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 204
Back