Giant Lafree E+2 and E+1 I have owned both models!!!!

I have grocery pannier's so you really have to look to see the battery. Even without, at any distance it just looks like a rack with a small bag.

I am an unabashed Trek aficionado but Giant knocked it out of the park with the LaFree. IMO the yamaha drive feels better, and rides nicer than the bosch drives. And for the same price as the Verve you get a rack, nicer front and rear lights (IMO), belt drive, and internally geared hub.

Totally subjective. I have owned the LaFree+1 for about two months now. It's been a long way from a knock out of the park for me. Jury is still out on the dealer.

Two flat tires in the first 4 rides. IMO opinion the tires are not strong enough for the weight of the bike plus rider. They are rated for 25 kilometers and should be 50. I installed a Mr. Tuffy liner after first flat and another flat was soon thereafter. I replaced the tires with Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires and have done 6 more rides with no flats. Next, 8 gear ratios is not enough. There's more power in the battery but in 8th gear at around 16-18 mph all you do is spin. My sit bone is good for about an hours ride. The lack of any suspension makes it a pretty hard ride. I am looking at replacing the seat post with a suspension type. I am not a big guy but the space in the bike is not enough to get the proper stretch of the legs. When I raise the seat I don't feel safe controlling the bike when coming to a stop. A smaller profile person might fit better. So far I have not detected any defects in the bike itself but there is less than 200 miles on it. Occasionally I sense the gear box is looking for the right gear and takes a while to lock onto it. I love the belt drive. It is definitely quieter, smoother and cleaner to use than a chain. Perhaps the top feature of the bike. The battery over the tire does take up space that could be used more effectively for a bag. The bag I have sits too high and when in the seat I have to push back to get seated properly. The drive control does not offer any displays at all. I use my iPhone with a GPS app that works fine for how I use it but would rather have a GPS unit tied into the function of the bike instead. In retrospect I wish I had chosen a different bike. In my opinion weight is the enemy of the majority of bikes. I suspect lighter weight e-bikes will soon be a competitive trend. While we seldom see e-bikes from major makers with throttles I do believe they are safety devices that should be readily available as an option. Just my two cents.

Tara - I picked up my E+2 today! I LOVE it!!! Thanks for your posts sharing your experience - I've gone back and re-read them several times, and they helped me make my decision... Well, you, and the $1699 sale price - couldn't pass that up 😉!

Now, to accessorize!

Tara - I picked up my E+2 today! I LOVE it!!! Thanks for your posts sharing your experience - I've gone back and re-read them several times, and they helped me make my decision... Well, you, and the $1699 sale price - couldn't pass that up 😉!

Now, to accessorize!
I'm so happy you love your Lafree! It's an excellent bike. I can't wait until spring so I can get back out there. ❤️❤️❤️

Now, to accessorize!

Congrats on your new ebike! Do you get the blue color?

Now as every smart girl knows, accessories are the key to a great “outfit”. 😀😊

I few that really helped me:
- Of course a bag or two for all your stuff.
- Mirror. Just like driving, it’s great to see what’s coming up behind.
- A really bright light, if the Lafree doesn’t already have one. It helps to be seen by drivers, especially the texting ones.
- Suspension seat post. Really helps smooth out bumps.
Ok that’s just a few to think about.

Many great miles to you! Please post some of your rides.

Congrats on your new ebike! Do you get the blue color?

Now as every smart girl knows, accessories are the key to a great “outfit”. 😀😊

I few that really helped me:
- Of course a bag or two for all your stuff.
- Mirror. Just like driving, it’s great to see what’s coming up behind.
- A really bright light, if the Lafree doesn’t already have one. It helps to be seen by drivers, especially the texting ones.
- Suspension seat post. Really helps smooth out bumps.
Ok that’s just a few to think about.

Many great miles to you! Please post some of your rides.
Yep, I got the blue! Looking at bags and mirrors and lights - this part is ALMOST as much fun as riding the bike 😁!

Had a short 5 mile ride this morning - right now I'm on a mission (between rain showers) to get my butt in shape for decent seat time 😉.

Attachments

• IMG_20191210_114548959.jpg
    IMG_20191210_114548959.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 417
Just an update 7/10/22. After two seasons in 2019 and 2020.... I traded up on my Lafree E+2 to the Lafree E+1. I went with a gates belt drive. I got tired of chain drop and my upper gears constantly switching back and forth between gears. My Giant dealer told me I ride more aggressively than the bike was intended for. Since the switch to the E+1 at the end of summer in 2020 I have no issues and it has been a real dream come true to have 0 issues on a ride. I highly recommend a Gates belt drive its flawless silent maintenance free riding.

Last edited:
Back