Giant Lafree E+2 and E+1 I have owned both models!!!!

I am looking for a comfy bike of good quality that feels more like an acoustical bike. This idea happened after riding my old Trek mountain bike which felt like riding a feather. In comparison, my Radmini feels like a clumsy elephant. I'd like an upright style and a bike that might be easier to pedal without power in order to extend the battery mileage. I don't want it to be too expensive and I want an established brand with dealers kinda sorta nearby. I narrowed it down to the Giant Lafree and Trek Verve. Gotta try them out though.

At first, I didn't like the looks of the battery on the rear rack, then got to thinking that with a pannier thrown over, it becomes more of a stealth ebike. That could come in handy.

Anyway, good to hear stuff about this bike. Now I need to find a place to try them out. I live about 2 hours from any dealer that might have them, and I have my doubts about the Verve being available. I may have to drive farther.

I have grocery pannier's so you really have to look to see the battery. Even without, at any distance it just looks like a rack with a small bag.

I am an unabashed Trek aficionado but Giant knocked it out of the park with the LaFree. IMO the yamaha drive feels better, and rides nicer than the bosch drives. And for the same price as the Verve you get a rack, nicer front and rear lights (IMO), belt drive, and internally geared hub.

I am looking for a comfy bike of good quality that feels more like an acoustical bike. This idea happened after riding my old Trek mountain bike which felt like riding a feather. In comparison, my Radmini feels like a clumsy elephant. I'd like an upright style and a bike that might be easier to pedal without power in order to extend the battery mileage. I don't want it to be too expensive and I want an established brand with dealers kinda sorta nearby. I narrowed it down to the Giant Lafree and Trek Verve. Gotta try them out though.

At first, I didn't like the looks of the battery on the rear rack, then got to thinking that with a pannier thrown over, it becomes more of a stealth ebike. That could come in handy.

Anyway, good to hear stuff about this bike. Now I need to find a place to try them out. I live about 2 hours from any dealer that might have them, and I have my doubts about the Verve being available. I may have to drive farther.

Cowlitz...........

I Test Rode 25 different Bikes...... The Trek Verve, Giant LaFree +1, and Giant LaFree +2, among them.

The Verve wasn't bad, but the LaFree +1 was substantially Better.
It felt more solid, unbelievably quiet, and the Yamaha Motor with ("Auto Mode") is amazing.
The Carbon Belt and Nexus gears are Clean, Smooth, and give you peace of mind.
The ride is Super Natural !

It is more bike then what Giant is asking for Retail wise (compared to many).

IMHO :cool:

Craig

Attachments

• 20190724_124527.jpg
    20190724_124527.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 498
Cowlitz...........

I Test Rode 25 different Bikes...... The Trek Verve, Giant LaFree +1, and Giant LaFree +2, among them.

The Verve wasn't bad, but the LaFree +1 was substantially Better.
It felt more solid, unbelievably quiet, and the Yamaha Motor with ("Auto Mode") is amazing.
The Carbon Belt and Nexus gears are Clean, Smooth, and give you peace of mind.
The ride is Super Natural !

It is more bike then what Giant is asking for Retail wise (compared to many).

IMHO :cool:

Craig

Are those two bikes your new LaFrees? Congrats!

I also looked at the verve and ended up ordering a Lafree because the verve was unavailable until November. I am curious about how others feel about the sizing of the Lafree frame.... I found it to be a bit on the smaller side (I got the medium frame as I'm a 5'8" woman) compared to the verve. I'm considering going up to a large frame.... there is so much to LOVE about the Lafree, I am hoping I can get the frame sizing right....

Any input from others would be appreciated...

Tara, it's been a couple of months since you got your bike - are you still liking it as much as when you first began riding it?

I'm still in love with my Lafree. I've lost 30lbs since I got it. It's everything you could hope for if your someone who is looking for comfort and reliability. I cannot say enough about my Ebike. I smile every time I ride. 🙂

Thank you so much! I think there's a tendency for people who have the funds to get the top of the line bike (and the hundreds and hundreds of dollars for hitches, racks, and other extras) to assume others also have that type of disposable income when "encouraging" their bikes. It's good to see someone perfectly content with their perfectly good enough for their particular needs ride!

Thank you so much! I think there's a tendency for people who have the funds to get the top of the line bike (and the hundreds and hundreds of dollars for hitches, racks, and other extras) to assume others also have that type of disposable income when "encouraging" their bikes. It's good to see someone perfectly content with their perfectly good enough for their particular needs ride!
I am very satisfied with my bikes performance. I think most people would be very happy with the Lafree it's affordable, good battery, strong motor, comfortable, and very easy to ride. It is adjustable so you can sit upright or a 60 degree position. It climbs step hills. It's quiet and it feels like a regular bike. I would highly recommend my bike. Plus it's attractive. I hope you get a great Ebike. Good luck to you. 🙂

Patricia, You stated: "there's a tendency for people who have the funds to get the top of the line bike "

I started my quest to buy ebikes, for myself & my wife, with the $1500 RAD City as my target, (or Less $$ if at all possible).

I am NOT wealthy, and I don't throw money away if I can avoid it.
However, I took the tremendous collective Wisdom of many experienced people here on EBR's Forum, which often suggested Buying Right the first time.

I test rode some fairly cheap bikes.......... And by god, you can FEEL the cheapness.

Reliability became my new quest.
I Changed my Perspective, and realized saving a few bucks now, only to pay out more bucks later, wasn't a savings.

Hence The idiom, "throwing good money after bad" refers to spending more money on something problematic that one has already spent money on, in the (presumably futile) hopes of fixing it.

All that being said, the differences between the Giant LaFree E+1 or 2 are worth careful scrutiny.
I respect both.
I hedged toward the lower maintenance potential of the Lafree E+1.

Be Careful how you judge people who try to spend their hard earned money wisely. 🤔

Craig 😎

Thanks, Craig - I'm trying to spend MY hard-earned money wisely, also. I didn't mean to sound judgemental - it was more about the general tone of some posts, like the one snubbing "19th century technology".

Hi Tara -- what bag did you buy? I recently got the LaFree E+1 and I, too, smile every time I ride it!

Here's to Another Happy Lafree E+1 owner ! 🍷🚲

FYI: I use Panniers on the sides of my LaFree E+1, as a personal decision Not to put anything over my Battery.
I'm a bit of a cautionary freak 🤪 . I don't want anything to bang my battery (ie. a Heavy Chain in the bag).

Craig :cool:

Back