Giant LaFree E+1

johnhoens

Has EBR reviewed this bike? Any Hints? I've ridden it a few times and am just about to purchase it. Thanks!

Attachments

• MY19-Lafree-E+-1-LDS_Color-A_retouch.jpg
    MY19-Lafree-E+-1-LDS_Color-A_retouch.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 353
I am also about to buy this bike, and I do not think it has been reviewed here, although a search will show some threads discussing it.

It does everything I need from an e-bike and is very comfortable.

Hi, found this review when I was looking for a bike for my wife. It's for the LaFree E+2.

That review was one of the bits of my research that pointed towards the LaFree in general and the E1 in particular. The only real complaint they had was the chain dropping.

I have the E+ 1. LOVE IT! Purchased May 2019. This is my 2nd ebike. Been riding it nearly every day since I picked it up from the LBS.

Ask me anything you want, and I'll give you my first hand experience.
MY19-Lafree-E+-1-LDS_Color-B_retouch.jpg
IMG_20190707_194135674_HDR-756x1008.jpg

I have had mine for about 3 months. In retrospect I bought the wrong bike from the wrong dealer. Functionally it does what it's supposed to do but I don't like the position of the pedals; feels cramped to me. 8 speed is not enough gears for me. I find myself running in 8th gear frequently and the pedal spinning. Very heavy bike..maybe 60+ pounds. Dealer support is horrendous. For what it's worth.

When 8th gear doesn't feel like "enough" for me, I turn off all assist. That's enough for me to say "hmm, maybe 8th gear IS enough!" LOL! Only going downhill or on a slight downwards slope does it feel like I could use a 9th or 10th gear. Otherwise, I'd be putting too much of a strain on the knee, and that's not good at all. So I've learned to enjoy the glide.

RLB2442 - Have you called around to other bike shops to find one that may help fix your pedal position, like installing new pedals or cranks, if possible? If that can't be fixed then you need to sell the bike and find something that fits you better.

A bike you don't like, or that doesn't suit you, is a bike that finds itself sitting unused in the corner of the garage, no longer being ridden.

Last edited:
Readytoride...thanks for the note. I am really new to bike riding and it never occurred to me to cut off the assist. I will try it. The local Trek dealer has been extraordinary in working on my +1. I will discuss with him about new pedals and cranks to change the peddling position. I do think the +1 will be replaced by another bike in the near future. I now know more about what to look for to fit my needs. I am definitely using it and learning something new each day. So far this week I have ridden 33 miles and suspect there will be 10 today and tomorrow.

Not knowing the type of terrain you ride on, and just taking an educated guess because you are new to biking: I would suggest you start out cycling in 6th gear with assist level at "normal" (3 LED lights bright on the left side of the Ride Control panel).

If you are on a flat/flat surface, then dial the gears up to 8, and your assist level down to Eco (1 LED light brightened). If the bike begins to feel too "heavy" and you notice you are pressing hard on the pedals to keep a forward momentum, then dial up your assist to Eco+ (2 LED lights). If the bike still feels heavy, and you're putting a bit more pressure on the pedals to the point where you feel it in the muscles of your thighs, then dial the assist up to Normal (3 LED lights). At that point the bike should feel light and easy to pedal for miles and miles - at least 50 according to my Giant phone app.

If you are on rolling terrain, then play around with the gears and assist levels together to find out what combos allow your bike to feel light and easy to pedal on either up or down terrain without straining or stressing your muscles/ligaments, but without spinning the pedals like you are trying to whip up a milkshake.

If you turn off assist altogether (dial the assist level down until no LED lights on the left side are lit) your bike becomes a pseudo beach cruiser. If you tap down one more time, an LED light comes on in the center of the console to let you know you are now on automated assist which will decide for you what level of assist you need based upon the pressure you put in the pedals. It only assists within the gear you are using, meaning you still have to change your gears manually.

I would also suggest (if you haven't done so already) that you find a good bike fitter to fit you to your bike. A lot of times small problems in one area occur because of a mis-fit in another area. Many times the majority of problems with backs and knees and hands and body pain (And sometimes pedal width) reside in the seat - too far forward/back, wrong angle, too high/low, too thin/thick/narrow/wide - or the handlebars. Both of these can be adjusted in various ways to make the rider find the sweet spot in comfortable cycling.

You can learn a lot from your new bike before you pay more good money to buy another bike.

Last edited:
Back