Giant Cargo E-bike with 28mph motor

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
I tested this bike over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised!
It is extremely beefy with a solid frame and can easily carry 250 lbs of cargo + rider.

It comes with Giant (Sync)-Yamaha motor with a top speed of 28mph and an internal gear hub. I was able to hit 26 mph without much effort.
Also, both brakes were 4-piston Tektros and had a dropper post to boot.
The retail price was just above $5000 and I think it would be a worthy competitor to Yuba and Tern cargo bikes. The compartment behind the seat is a small cargo space.

1626928716571.png

I’m sure there‘s a market for Class 3 cargo bikes in the suburbs where speed helps cope with distances, but I’m not sure they’re a great idea in urban areas. Here in Arlington, VA, for example there is a 15mph trail speed limit, and the wording of local trail regs, particularly those managed by the Park Service, prohibit anything above Class 1 or 2 from riding on local trails and the side paths on the bridges to DC. When you ride into the District of Columbia their municipal regs only permit Class 1 & 2 ebikes to use bike lanes and on-street bicycle infrastructure like the growing network of PBL’s. The market for a 5-grand longtail cargo ebike around here is mostly parents wanting the utility for the school run, grocery shopping, and family cycling, and when surveyed they say they want to ride on bicycle infrastructure wherever possible. I expect it’s possible to lower top speed using the display but still a Class 3 cargo ebike does not make sense here.

Last edited:
Pretty nice looking cargo bike, if it can really be delivered for $5000 and is reliable. What brand is the IGH, the warranty period, and does warranty cover the drivetrain?

I’m sure there‘s a market for Class 3 cargo bikes in the suburbs where speed helps cope with distances, but I’m not sure they’re a great idea in urban areas. Here in Arlington, VA, for example there is a 15mph trail speed limit, and the wording of local trail regs, particularly those managed by the Park Service, appear to prohibit anything above Class 1 or 2 from riding on local trails and the bridges to DC. Not that there is any enforcement currently, but it does open riders to liability issues. I expect it’s possible to lower top speed using the display.
I don't think anyone is considering taking this bike on trails? Depending on the drivetrain the high speed may be necessary to get the motor rpm in the right range for maximum torque, especially when the battery is at 50% SOC.

I wonder if the bottom part of that storage box is another battery.

A small lockable compartment behind the seat would be great for small items, like gloves, snacks, rain jacket, etc.

I saw Court’s review of this bike the other day and I was impressed. I wish Court would do a review of the Yuba Spicy Curry AT. Does anyone have the AT? I am thinking of getting my first long tail cargo bike and it’s down to the Yuba and this bike. There’s not a huge price difference so it comes down to which would work best for hauling kids, cargo and potential bike packing gear on something like single track?

Since Yuba’s website says the AT is not available again until February, I certainly have time to make a decision.

Very nice( way too rich for my blood) I think Aventon would be my top purchase( if ever), because it is carried by my"semi-local bike shop"(SLBS)-50 miles, people in these parts are "so, not into" E-bikes.''Let them get wind of an "EZGO" or "Mule" they start popping the blue pill.
Younger brother and I were working on the 27.5 conversion last evening and it was going well till I had to "retire", no rear brake have to address that- at least He has an interest in Ebike, by and by ( except for things like battery upgrade) these experiences are showing Me why it is better to buy made Ebike.

Very nice( way too rich for my blood) I think Aventon would be my top purchase( if ever), because it is carried by my"semi-local bike shop"(SLBS)-50 miles.

The Aventon commuters look nice, but it doesn’t look like they have any long tail cargo bikes. In any case, the nearest dealer to me is too far away at 50 miles of traffic choked freeways.

Back