Giant 2020 ebikes?

The FastRoad 2019 had 700cx32c tires, but 2020 has 27.5"x2.4". Looks like a good bike, only thing it might be "missing" is a front shock. Just guessing but the FastRoad might be more of a forward position while Explore and especially the Quick would be more upright?

http://giantashgrove.com.au/giant-bikes-2020/ebike-my20/2020-giant-fastroad-e-ex-pro-detail

Gee, I'd missed the fact that there was no front suspension. That's a feature that I do want, so it looks like this model is going to be ruled out for me.

And I'm going to have to do some learning about tire sizes... the 27.5"x2.4" is _smaller_ than 700cx32c, is that right?

If the riding position is different too, I guess I'm going to have to wait to actually sit on and try one of these, meaning I shouldn't place an order before that. SIGH

Sure is turning out to be difficult to buy a new e-bike.

And I'm going to have to do some learning about tire sizes... the 27.5"x2.4" is _smaller_ than 700cx32c, is that right?

Correct. 700c is a bigger rim around. It a traditional road bike rim size. 27.5 is a smaller rim however typically made wider so you can fit wider tires on them. But - all things are not equal of course. Cannondale made their Slate with 27.5 rims and put a 42c tire on it. They said this gave the wheel/tire combo the same rollout as a 700x23c road rim. So there are many ways to skin a cat.

Ultimately i'll be doing almost 100% commuting on bike track/road. I'd be happy with the 27.5 so i could put the wider tires on and lower the pressure for a more cushioned ride.

Gee, I'd missed the fact that there was no front suspension. That's a feature that I do want, so it looks like this model is going to be ruled out for me.

If the riding position is different too, I guess I'm going to have to wait to actually sit on and try one of these, meaning I shouldn't place an order before that. SIGH

Sure is turning out to be difficult to buy a new e-bike.

A 60-80mm suspension fork for a commuter can be found pretty easily. And a 2.35” 27.5 tyres is much more comfortable and more importantly has far better grip and braking than a 700x45 tyre. The Quick E has better brakes, shifter and derailleur than the Fastroad. Make sure you get the biggest battery you can find for your commute

A 60-80mm suspension fork for a commuter can be found pretty easily. And a 2.35” 27.5 tyres is much more comfortable and more importantly has far better grip and braking than a 700x45 tyre. The Quick E has better brakes, shifter and derailleur than the Fastroad. Make sure you get the biggest battery you can find for your commute

Really? It’s SO hard to get specs for the new 2020 models, especially since the Giant website (US and Canada) doesn’t show info yet. But I’ve been told that there is no Quick E for 2020. And that possibly the Quick E has been rebranded and modified to become the 2020 Fastroad E+ EX Pro. So I am not sure about your statement.

And I’d much rather get a bikewuththe features I want than get one and then have to add a suspension fork to it. These bikes are expensive enough already! And I’d imagine it wouldn’t be all that easy to get a fork onto which would fit all the components from the original fork. But I have no experience with that stuff so it may be easier than I think.

Thanks for the comments about the tire sizes. I’m still not clear on the sizes though... 700 (mm) converts to 27.56 inches... effectively being the same as 27.5, no? The width is quite different though with the 2.35” being quite a bit wider than the 1.77” that 45mm converts to.

I’m starting to wish I’d gotten a 2019 Explore E+ 1 GTS because it seemed to have everything I wanted.

Thanks for the comments about the tire sizes. I’m still not clear on the sizes though... 700 (mm) converts to 27.56 inches... effectively being the same as 27.5, no? The width is quite different though with the 2.35” being quite a bit wider than the 1.77” that 45mm converts to.
the 700 is the same size as a 29er wheel, although then you have the tyre on top of that and it tends to be lower for a 700 than a 29er, which is more mountain specific. Its that extra volume in the mountain bike tyre that makes the 27.5 (or 650) to be the same as diameter (approx) as a 700 when you take the tyre into account.

The downside of the fatter / higher volume tyres is a higher rolling resistance from the tyre on the road, but switching to more road oriented, faster rolling tyres will reduce this.

Thanks for the link! Very informative.

So I'm thinking I shouldn't worry too much about the 27.5" wheels (instead of 700c). This would make the bike sort of a "dual sport" if I understand right. Like my BMW GS motorcycle. :)

I'm still trying to find out about the new battery and by how much the range might be reduced compared to a 500w battery like on the Explore E+ 2 GTS. I want my bike/battery to handle 60+ km total commutes and hopefully with some reserve.

pretty sure if you look around you will find shops in Canada with the 2019 stock still available in your size https://www.cyclemotive.com/product/giant-explore-e-1-gts-345914-1.htm so if you are not happy with the 2020 spec when it is released you should still be able to shop around.

Thanks for that, but even if they have one in stock, I'm not going to drive 400km to pick up a bike and most dealers won't ship either. Besides, the Giant dealer I visited yesterday checked the computer and told me that the small frame size has long been sold out for 2019 models and for the released 2020 models the small size is already sold out and cannot at present even be ordered. SIGH

Thanks for that, but even if they have one in stock, I'm not going to drive 400km to pick up a bike and most dealers won't ship either. Besides, the Giant dealer I visited yesterday checked the computer and told me that the small frame size has long been sold out for 2019 models and for the released 2020 models the small size is already sold out and cannot at present even be ordered. SIGH
I bet the actual Giant dealer network does inter-dealer shipping.

I went in to my local bike shop today to see if they have any news on the Giant 2020 releases. They told me a couple of interesting things.

1) one of the sales team is off to Lancaster in the UK on Tuesday 6 August, to see and demo the new range so he will be able to tell us all about them when he gets back.

2) I asked him if he can check whether there are any 2019 size large E+ 29ers in stock or available via Giant so I can order one at a discount price in case it is just a paint job upgrade, but there were no 2019 bikes available (at all, not just 29ers) for shipping to stores, and there had been the week before. I'm not sure what that means, either the stock is completely sold out or Giant are clearing the decks ready for the 2020 model?

I don't believe that they are completely sold out of all 2019 stock, so I'm guessing that are preparing the sales page for 2019 bikes on the giant website (and offering them directly to the public at a discount), whilst showing the shiny new 2020 bikes in their standard brochure.

Does anyone have prior experience of Giant doing this? Or should I try to snap up a bargain now (I know of a few sites that are selling the bike I want at 20% discount already)? Thanks in advance for your help on this :)

I went in to my local bike shop today to see if they have any news on the Giant 2020 releases. They told me a couple of interesting things.

1) one of the sales team is off to Lancaster in the UK on Tuesday 6 August, to see and demo the new range so he will be able to tell us all about them when he gets back.

2) I asked him if he can check whether there are any 2019 size large E+ 29ers in stock or available via Giant so I can order one at a discount price in case it is just a paint job upgrade, but there were no 2019 bikes available (at all, not just 29ers) for shipping to stores, and there had been the week before. I'm not sure what that means, either the stock is completely sold out or Giant are clearing the decks ready for the 2020 model?

I don't believe that they are completely sold out of all 2019 stock, so I'm guessing that are preparing the sales page for 2019 bikes on the giant website (and offering them directly to the public at a discount), whilst showing the shiny new 2020 bikes in their standard brochure.

Does anyone have prior experience of Giant doing this? Or should I try to snap up a bargain now (I know of a few sites that are selling the bike I want at 20% discount already)? Thanks in advance for your help on this :)

TYpically shops here want to clear the floor in June/July ready for first shipments of next years models in August/Sept. Lucky to find the right size still on special now...

the 700 is the same size as a 29er wheel, although then you have the tyre on top of that and it tends to be lower for a 700 than a 29er, which is more mountain specific. Its that extra volume in the mountain bike tyre that makes the 27.5 (or 650) to be the same as diameter (approx) as a 700 when you take the tyre into account.

The downside of the fatter / higher volume tyres is a higher rolling resistance from the tyre on the road, but switching to more road oriented, faster rolling tyres will reduce this.

Would changing tires as you suggest, affect the accuracy/calibration of the computer and motor? Or do you think that a tire of the same circumference could be found? (I know way too little about this.)

The smaller battery on the FastRoad E+ EX Pro may not be much of an issue for my commute. By my calculations, the battery would have 10.42 Ah, and when I borrowed a 2019 Explore E+ 3 to try, I did my entire commute and used about 60% of the battery charge. And that bike has a 400w battery. So 375w shouldn't be much of a difference. Plus the new bike comes with a 6amp charger as opposed to 3 or 4.

Last year at exactly this time (July 29, 2018) I went to look at the 2018 Giant Dirt E. I casually asked the sales guy what was up for 2019 models.
He took me over to his computer and showed me the 2019 Fathom E+2 which I bought then and there.
Two days later I had it.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/nbd-2019-giant-fathom-e-2.24586/

Always ask directly. They never would have shown it to me if I had not asked. I suspect this is the time of year they stock up for upcoming releases consistently.

pretty sure if you look around you will find shops in Canada with the 2019 stock still available in your size https://www.cyclemotive.com/product/giant-explore-e-1-gts-345914-1.htm so if you are not happy with the 2020 spec when it is released you should still be able to shop around.

Sack, you're doing your Google searching again! :) I just called the dealer you sent me the link to, and they don't even stock e-bikes. Only regular bikes. But I did call 6 different Giant dealers in other Provinces and none have stock of the Explorer E+ 1 GTS 2019 in frame size small. Nor any other models either. This is really frustrating! And I found out that the new 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro which I'd be interested in, is only expected to START shipping in week 42 (mid October, already near the end of cycling season in Montreal). And I've been told that without giving a deposit now, chances would be very slim that I'd even get one. They already have a list, believe it or not.

Looks like Giant dealers can sell every e-bike they can get their hands on. I'm in the wrong business!

Last edited:
Sack, you're doing your Google searching again! :) I just called the dealer you sent me the link to, and they don't even stock e-bikes. Only regular bikes. But I did call 6 different Giant dealers in other Provinces and none have stock of the Explorer E+ 1 GTS 2019 in frame size small. Nor any other models either. This is really frustrating! And I found out that the new 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro which I'd be interested in, is only expected to START shipping in week 42 (mid October, already near the end of cycling season in Montreal). And I've been told that without giving a deposit now, chances would be very slim that I'd even get one. They already have a list, believe it or not.

Looks like Giant dealers can sell every e-bike they can get their hands on. I'm in the wrong business!
Last time I was at my local Giant dealer I asked how ebike sales were going. They said they could hardly keep up and were almost completely out of stock in the warehouse. They had 5 ebikes left on the floor, and that was it.
Somebody did not realize or anticipate the trend, that's for sure.

Last time I was at my local Giant dealer I asked how ebike sales were going. They said they could hardly keep up and were almost completely out of stock in the warehouse. They had 5 ebikes left on the floor, and that was it.
Somebody did not realize or anticipate the trend, that's for sure.

Another Giant dealer just checked (somehow) for me... there is not a single e-bike left anywhere in Canada with a small frame size. Not 2019 Explore model 1, or ToughRoad E+ and for 2020 the Explore E+ 2 in size small is already sold out. With no ability to place an order (said the dealer) and no indication of when next stock might be coming. Yes, e-bikes are a really hot commodity right now.

I'm on the verge of placing a deposit for a pre-order of a 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro. Tough decision. Front suspension or not. 27.5" or 700C.

Another Giant dealer just checked (somehow) for me... there is not a single e-bike left anywhere in Canada with a small frame size. Not 2019 Explore model 1, or ToughRoad E+ and for 2020 the Explore E+ 2 in size small is already sold out. With no ability to place an order (said the dealer) and no indication of when next stock might be coming. Yes, e-bikes are a really hot commodity right now.

I'm on the verge of placing a deposit for a pre-order of a 2020 FastRoad E+ EX Pro. Tough decision. Front suspension or not. 27.5" or 700C.
PM'd you!

You're in Montreal? Lake Placid ain't all that far away. I mentioned in this or another thread that we were in High Peaks Cyclery the other day and they have 2 Explore E small frames on the floor.

I am NOT associated in any way with the store, or any other store, for that matter, just wandered in after having breakfast across the street because, hey, why not?

If I am breaking a forum rule here someone please call me on it and I'll kill the post.

Back