• Would Like One

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Not For Me

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Comments Below

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Mat Cooper

Hey all, Just thought I would make a thread on this bike.
I was very close to backing this project when it was on Kickstarter, such a tidy looking bike, useful folding mechanism and I also thought it looked awesome :)
upload_2017-1-1_19-5-34.png

upload_2017-1-1_19-6-33.png

They had another round of funding on Indiegogo.
The price seemed pretty good and I was super close to backing the project but for what ever reason I did not.

Like most design concepts it has gone through many changes over its public life.
This is my favorite version
upload_2017-1-1_19-31-8.png

and if the production model looked like this I would put up the funds and get one for sure!
The things that I really like about this design is how clean and light it looks. No cables, minimal spokes unique seat post and with out knowing the correct name for it I will just refer to it as the the hollow crank portal.
Here is a shot of the other side
upload_2017-1-1_19-35-43.png

But the bike above is not how I firs came across it as I was browsing the interwebs.
When I was close to bidding it looked like this
upload_2017-1-1_19-38-32.png

Still a stunner and I was still very smitten with its looks.
You may notice a few small changes,
The head lite is a nice addition and the seat post looks like it would hold my weight with a little more confidence.
Other changes, the spoke configuration, the routing of the cables, pedals, saddle have all had tweaks and the portal is closing but still has a look of its own.
upload_2017-1-1_19-44-50.png

And now we have the current revisions and a new look as we can see below
upload_2017-1-1_19-47-41.png

As you can see the portal is now closed, a more traditional seat post has been integrated, the cables are out to say hello, light has changed position, more spokes, bike tyres have a new tread, and introduction of the mud guards (the rear one is like those slap wrist bands that were all the rage back in my childhood)
Here is another pic
upload_2017-1-1_19-46-59.png

So yeh it has been through some changes I can only guess to meet durability tests or maybe even to make it a more economical proposition.
I still think it would be a great bike and I quite like the idea how ever I feel its a bit like when you take off the beer goggles.

What are your thoughts?
has anyone had a chance to ride one yet? it looks like they have taken it to a few shows.
Keen to hear from any one that has a preproduction model (or even if the GiFly team stumble across this thread)

Love the concept and hope to be tempted by maybe a version 2 ;)

If you love it you can check out their website

http://giflybike.com/
https://www.facebook.com/giflybike/

Chat soon
-Mat-

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_19-38-1.png
    upload_2017-1-1_19-38-1.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 1,231
I am intrigued by this bike also. It is not something I would need personally, but it is innovative and appealing. I like that it comes standard with flat-proof tires and a belt drive. I would think that anyone commuting by bike would love the low maintenance and reliability of just those two features. And the folding means it is easier to take into your workplace with you.

Yeh spot on!
They were 2 heavy points that were drawing me in. I would love to give this a test ride one day :D

I was very close to backing this project when it was on Kickstarter, such a tidy looking bike, useful folding mechanism and I also thought it looked awesome :)
View attachment 13730
View attachment 13733
The price seemed pretty good and I was super close to backing the project but for what ever reason I did not.

Like most design concepts it has gone through many changes over its public life.
View attachment 13736
and if the production model looked like this I would put up the funds and get one for sure!
The things that I really like about this design is how clean and light it looks. No cables, minimal spokes unique seat post and with out knowing the correct name for it I will just refer to it as the the hollow crank portal.
View attachment 13739
But the bike above is not how I firs came across it as I was browsing the interwebs.
View attachment 13745
The head lite is a nice addition and the seat post looks like it would hold my weight with a little more confidence.
Other changes, the spoke configuration, the routing of the cables, pedals, saddle have all had tweaks and the portal is closing but still has a look of its own.
View attachment 13751
View attachment 13757
As you can see the portal is now closed, a more traditional seat post has been integrated, the cables are out to say hello, light has changed position, more spokes, bike tyres have a new tread, and introduction of the mud guards (the rear one is like those slap wrist bands that were all the rage back in my childhood)
Here is another pic
View attachment 13754
So yeh it has been through some changes I can only guess to meet durability tests or maybe even to make it a more economical proposition.
I still think it would be a great bike and I quite like the idea how ever I feel its a bit like when you take off the beer goggles.

What are your thoughts?
has anyone had a chance to ride one yet? it looks like they have taken it to a few shows.
Keen to hear from any one that has a preproduction model (or even if the GiFly team stumble across this thread)

Chat soon
-Mat-

Hi Mat

I'm in agreement the bike looks to be a fabulous concept. As an early investor though the wait is a killer. Probably bringing every new product to market is a struggle but as each implied delivery date slips by, the excitement is harder to maintain. Especially while other innovative bike are available. My money is locked up with no idea when the rubber will hit the road.

Has anyone heard anything about hard delivery dates?

I hope you get your money back...but I have no confidence in their ability to deliver this bike. Where is ANY ONE...just 1...of these bikes. Only in slick promo videos. Never a review. Never in a trial ride in the park. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...so cool bike but they don't share it in real circumstances. That's not REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL. The bike is not REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL. How do they have such a cool feature rich bike for the demos...but nothing to share with real people. Can you say DUCT TAPE? They CANNOT share it...because the design is NO WORKOOOOOOOOOO!

I am not hating...I like the concept...I was hot to put my cash down...but the only media was on the launch...no more media after that...do the Google Search...no reviews...no pre-production trials....WRITE them....ask them...very polite....but no REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL answers. More excuses...and pushed production dates...and more investments of course. I am happy to be wrong....but show me the bike...how about for a electric bike review...wouldnt that be your first stop with a hit bike. WAITING....not hating. Good Luck.

My money has been locked up for a very very loooong two years. Can one guess how many missed delivery dates before the mind wonders whether the designers are viable or their intention has gone awry. Only recently they started to now claim all delivery dates were estimated but who would have ever invested with open ended delivery promises. Yeah, sure, your 2015 car might arrive in 2020, maybe. And, we want out money up front. What kind of company would operate that way?

They're still on the PR push but life, and new product, is passing them by, and they just don't get it. Sad.

I'm still hoping to get the bike but don't believe anything the developers say. Maybe it'll show before my 70th birthday; I'm almost 69 now.

Sorry for your path Phoenix. I am glad we have an original funder's comments. Yes...2 years is way to long...for production of a bike. Arrogant founders...that goes down as #FAIL for Gi FLY eBike. As for the advancements offered above...sheer misdirection as they stall to discover design tricks that might make the design workable in production at necessary scale. They can't make monkeys fly out their butt and the Gi FLY eBike is a similar failure. Not every innovative idea is meant to build at production scale.

If anyone knows how to contact Court of this site, we could ask his assistance in getting the boys to put up or shut up. They would need to take his call and react reasonably to his inquiries and his attention over time would force some truth into the nice warm sunlight.

Sniffs dead to me...I am happy to be wrong.

Afraid in this case you are wrong. Yes, a long wait. But making stuff is hard. Anyway, mine has arrived in Singapore and I believe most if not all backers have now received their bikes.

Mine finally arrived and I'm thrilled and relieved. Although it's heavier than I expected, it's an amazing bike and, like the name, really flies. The folding takes getting used to but the ride, oh the ride. Amazing!

Mine finally arrived and I'm thrilled and relieved. Although it's heavier than I expected, it's an amazing bike and, like the name, really flies. The folding takes getting used to but the ride, oh the ride. Amazing!
Glad to hear that the ebike has come to market.
I've been follow the bike's development.
Can you post a review along with fotos please? :)
Good luck;)

View attachment 13730
View attachment 13733

View attachment 13736
View attachment 13739
View attachment 13745
View attachment 13751
View attachment 13757
Here is another pic
View attachment 13754

What are your thoughts?

Chat soon
-Mat-

Amazing piece of machinery!!

So...I am late in posting as I purchased a brand new one from a family member that was in on First Round Kick starter. Brand new in box and never used. I got to say. It is nothing like I expected. It is SO Heavy!!! It also DOES NOT FOLD EASILY. It doesnt connect to BLUETOOTH AUTOMATICALLY all the time. I have to recycle phone. I will plug it in overnight and it will read CHARGED/GREEN. But when I get on it IT IS ZERO BATTERY. THIS IS NOT A BIKE YOU WANT TO RIDE WITH NO BATTERY. It doesnt leave any room for add ons. Room for Additional Bike lock is VERY LIMITED. The ride is PHENOMENAL! I COULD GET OVER ALL OF THESE BECAUSE OF THE RIDE ALONE. BUT...AND IT IS A BIG OL' BUT! I HABE BEEN TRYING TO REACH SOME ONE IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT TO ADDRESS SOME OF THESE ISSUES FOR A MONTH NOW. NO PHONE NUMBER TO CALL..JUST SENDING A MESSAGE VIA THE GI FLY APP on my phone. GET AN AUTOREPLY BUT NOT ONE REPLY. NOT ONE! So I am sad to say THAT I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BIKE. I AM GLAD I JUST PAID $1000.00 VS THE $2600 MY UNCLE SHELLED OUT IN THE BEGINNING! She does look HELLA SEXY WHEN SHE IS FOLDED WHEN I RIDE BART. SEE ATTACHED. QUITE THE ATTENTION GRABBER!!! HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS SOMEONE! CHEERS

Attachments

• 20190813_093851.jpg
    20190813_093851.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 929
Nice looking bike, however poor C/S is a deal breaker IMO. I always like to go for very established brands instead of being one of the early adopters on just about any product. Seeing, feeling touching, smelling etc are my first and foremost requirements before investment. May seem cool from the get go, however, I would rather see the pro's in the industry review it first, and have a full comprehensive report before moving forward. Just my thoughts...
Good Luck to all!

So...I am late in posting as I purchased a brand new one from a family member that was in on First Round Kick starter. Brand new in box and never used. I got to say. It is nothing like I expected. It is SO Heavy!!! It also DOES NOT FOLD EASILY. It doesnt connect to BLUETOOTH AUTOMATICALLY all the time. I have to recycle phone. I will plug it in overnight and it will read CHARGED/GREEN. But when I get on it IT IS ZERO BATTERY. THIS IS NOT A BIKE YOU WANT TO RIDE WITH NO BATTERY. It doesnt leave any room for add ons. Room for Additional Bike lock is VERY LIMITED. The ride is PHENOMENAL! I COULD GET OVER ALL OF THESE BECAUSE OF THE RIDE ALONE. BUT...AND IT IS A BIG OL' BUT! I HABE BEEN TRYING TO REACH SOME ONE IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT TO ADDRESS SOME OF THESE ISSUES FOR A MONTH NOW. NO PHONE NUMBER TO CALL..JUST SENDING A MESSAGE VIA THE GI FLY APP on my phone. GET AN AUTOREPLY BUT NOT ONE REPLY. NOT ONE! So I am sad to say THAT I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS BIKE. I AM GLAD I JUST PAID $1000.00 VS THE $2600 MY UNCLE SHELLED OUT IN THE BEGINNING! She does look HELLA SEXY WHEN SHE IS FOLDED WHEN I RIDE BART. SEE ATTACHED. QUITE THE ATTENTION GRABBER!!! HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS SOMEONE! CHEERS

Nice looking bike, however poor C/S is a deal breaker IMO. I always like to go for very established brands instead of being one of the early adopters on just about any product. Seeing, feeling touching, smelling etc are my first and foremost requirements before investment. May seem cool from the get go, however, I would rather see the pro's in the industry review it first, and have a full comprehensive report before moving forward. Just my thoughts...
Good Luck to all!

Well the GI Flybike is just another illustration of good marketing and p.r. ... and nothing else. I received my bike very late but it finally came. Oh... it didn't work. They replaced it with a new one (muuuuuuuch later). The second one worked, but I didn't find it convenient for me: too heavy, doesn't fit in the trunk, can't go into Swiss public transport with it, folding isn't at all easy. But my son liked it so there it went. He used it for a while, until the belt drive broke. No way to find the specs in the manual. Impossible to calculate the size (number of teeth). And the worst: all emails to GI Flybike or their parent company Bignay Inc. remain unanswered!!!! These guys are smart. Crowdfunding and nice photos made betweem 6 and 10 million USD. And they vanished. Look at their wikipedia entry. A scam... that's it. The gang: Lucas Toledo, Agustín Agustinoy, Eric Sevillia, Gabriel Lapena, Guillermo Alonso, Gabe Nudel. If you happen to come across any of them ... well, let me know.

Well the GI Flybike is just another illustration of good marketing and p.r. ... and nothing else. I received my bike very late but it finally came. Oh... it didn't work. They replaced it with a new one (muuuuuuuch later). The second one worked, but I didn't find it convenient for me: too heavy, doesn't fit in the trunk, can't go into Swiss public transport with it, folding isn't at all easy. But my son liked it so there it went. He used it for a while, until the belt drive broke. No way to find the specs in the manual. Impossible to calculate the size (number of teeth). And the worst: all emails to GI Flybike or their parent company Bignay Inc. remain unanswered!!!! These guys are smart. Crowdfunding and nice photos made betweem 6 and 10 million USD. And they vanished. Look at their wikipedia entry. A scam... that's it. The gang: Lucas Toledo, Agustín Agustinoy, Eric Sevillia, Gabriel Lapena, Guillermo Alonso, Gabe Nudel. If you happen to come across any of them ... well, let me know.

Just when I thought I was the only person in the world that was dealing with this!

I have email addresses and phone numbers of the offices of Bignay in New York. I actually received a phone call from someone telling me to contact Mr Toledo and email address. I am so thankful for your response. My bike has been in the bike shop getting the spokes redone for over two weeks. I'm actually going to be able to pick it up tomorrow. However, the bike is almost impossible to fix as it uses different tools and (like you said) belts spokes and basic assembly maintenance guidelines. Here is the "KICKER"!

I have found his personal cell phone number through LinkedIn and I have also contacted my local San Francisco Television Station who conducts television coverage on scams and unfair business practices. Mr Toledo and his executive team came to Silicon Valley searching for funding. THIS IS JUST THE KIND OF STORY THEY THRIVE ON! BIG PROFITS VS LITTLE INVESTORS! I was told last week they are researching and will be back in touch once they are able to get a hold of Mr. Toledo!

The only way we are going to get their attention is by hitting them where it hurts most: THEIR OVER SIZED EGO! WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!

PS IF I HEAR THE TERM "IT SO SUPER EASY" ONE MORE TIME! I'M GONNA COME UNGLUED! LOL

Last edited:
Just when I thought I was the only person in the world that was dealing with this!

I have email addresses and phone numbers of the offices of Bignay in New York. I actually received a phone call from someone telling me to contact Mr Toledo and email address. I am so thankful for your response. My bike has been in the bike shop getting the spokes redone for over two weeks. I'm actually going to be able to pick it up tomorrow. However, the bike is almost impossible to fix as it uses different tools and (like you said) belts spokes and basic assembly maintenance guidelines. Here is the "KICKER"!

I have found his personal cell phone number through LinkedIn and I have also contacted my local San Francisco Television Station who conducts television coverage on scams and unfair business practices. Mr Toledo and his executive team came to Silicon Valley searching for funding. THIS IS JUST THE KIND OF STORY THEY THRIVE ON! BIG PROFITS VS LITTLE INVESTORS! I was told last week they are researching and will be back in touch once they are able to get a hold of Mr. Toledo!

The only way we are going to get their attention is by hitting them where it hurts most: THEIR OVER SIZED EGO! WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!

PS IF I HEAR THE TERM "IT SO SUPER EASY" ONE MORE TIME! I'M GONNA COME UNGLUED! LOL
No, we are not alone. There may be hundreds out there. And technical flaws abound in this horrifying engender of the abyss. Well, a bit hyperbolic. A couple of ideas were “sexy” (as they loved to insist in their glossy marketing pieces). I don’t think these guys had the bad intention in the beginning, but when the monster woke up they got scared and vanished. I read that the Argentinean top banana sponsored them (ref. Argentina casa rosada news, the president visits GI Fly bike workshop in cordoba). And did you see Wikipedia GI Fly bike entry? It mentions a six million us scam. Anyway my bike is still waiting for a fix in the shelter. I hope it won’t finish in the communal recycling centre. Let me know if your tv station chaps want another witness. Nothing so big as a world outbreak, but a good example of greed that overlooks any basic human values.

Sorry to hear this. I hope you have better luck with all future purchases. Looks like another case of buyer beware! I always have a lot of skepticism when I see these crowdfunding campaigns, however, there have been many that were legit and gave everything promised from the get go.

Back