Getting drafted by other bikers

What do you do about closely drafting bikers?

• Introduce yourself and ask to get a little space

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Spin faster and leave that drafter in the dust

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Slow down and let the biker pass

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

hurricane56

Hi all, what's everyone's take on getting drafted by other bikers, non-ebike and regular bike? I started the ebike commute in January of this year and now have clocked in almost 3500 miles. During my regular afternoon commute you usually end up seeing the same people. On my route I cross over a longish shared use bike/walk path. Since there's usually no pedestrians, all of the ebikes and road bikers usually crest the top of the bridge and power down at full speed. About once a week now, I get the same really fast guy on a road bike stuck to rear drafting me down the bridge and through the following bike path for the next 4 miles.
It's only slightly annoying to me, but most importantly it strikes me a safety concern as this biker is literally touching my rear wheel. Many times the area where this biker ends up drafting me is in an open flat area with high winds. I've topped 33mph on my Haibike and crashing at that speed with someone right behind you is something I'd like to avoid.

Question for all here is what are your opinions on this? Should I just introduce myself and ask him to stay back a couple of feet? Or am I being a bit to concerned about him crashing into me?

Drafting is what nascars and road cyclists do to save energy, since the one behind has less wind resistance and therefore can maintain high speed with less effort. Most road cyclists usually draft to faster cyclists and they are generally OK being drafted also. Drafting actually makes the whole column of bicycles more aerodynamic and allow the whole group to save energy (but the lead bike has less savings). https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/aerodynamics2.html

Last edited:
Drafting is what nascars and road cyclists do to save energy, since the one behind has less wind resistance and therefore can maintain high speed with less effort. Most road cyclists usually draft to faster cyclists and they are generally OK being drafted also. Drafting actually makes the whole column of bicycle more aerodynamic and allow the whole group to save energy (but the lead bike has less savings). https://www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/aerodynamics2.html

Cool link, I'm aware of what drafting is and why people do it. Have you had any issues with people drafting you?

If the biker doesnt act like a jerk to begin with and they most of the time they dont I ask how fast he/she wants to go so I can be a good lead. I dont mind, keeps me at good and even pace

If the biker doesnt act like a jerk to begin with and they most of the time they dont I ask how fast he/she wants to go so I can be a good lead. I dont mind, keeps me at good and even pace

I guess the person that drafts me is not being a jerk about. I tend to dodge potholes, so keeping a straight line while someone is behind me can be a little concerning.

I generally don't mind someone drafting. It has even helped me at times with my cadence, just knowing someone is relying on my riding consistency. That said, if you aren't comfortable with it, use any of the options you note to stop it. Most times it's been done to me, the other rider has either asked or at least said hello. If they have a problem with your safety concern, it's just that - their problem. Just don't let anyone push you faster than you want to go.

If somebody is drafting behind me, I usually allow him to pass and then wait for opportunity to pass him again and leave him behind for good.

I don't have an ebike, but I draft my wife when she is riding hers. Keep in mind that if wheels touch when drafting the drafting rider is the one who goes down, not the rider providing the draft. Common cycling courtesy is let the draftee know when you grab their wheel. I'm been on both sides of the equation and its really not a big deal.

It might help to avoid a crash by pointing out road hazards, cars, pedestrians, etc. to the drafter. This also helps the lead rider to be more alert and consider the rider behind them. It also creates immediate good will. If there are a lot of road hazards, tricky turns, etc., perhaps slow down more than you would have without a drafter.

Someone who can keep up with your Haibike is probably a very experienced rider, and I wouldn't worry about it too much. But you are responsible for your own safety and you need to be comfortable with what's going on around you. Tell them if you're not comfortable and ask them to stay a little further behind or not do it.

I fondly remember drafting behind someone in a strong headwind one time; we were on non e-bikes and he was a much stronger rider. After a mile or two he slowed down and yelled: "I'm not dragging your ass all the way home!". I laughed and took the lead, giving my all. At the first hill he dropped me like a stone. :D

When I do draft behind strangers I try to stay at least 2 feet behind and a little to the side. I don't ask for their permission to draft, but if they pull to the side or slow down I take it as a sign that I'm not welcome. I try to take the lead to see if they want to fall in behind me. For those one or two minutes that I'm leading the pack I feel like a superstar!

In roadie circles, it's considered rude to draft behind someone for an extended period without asking in some sort of manner and to not then take a turn at the front as rotating turns will allow both riders to travel faster with less effort. The following rider is dependent on you and will take cues from what you are doing as far as line choice, the lead rider usually points out obstacles with their hand as it can be hard to see if you're sitting on someone's wheel, especially if you're farther back in line. It's also fun, somewhat like flying in formation.

Sounds like the following rider knows what he's doing and won't take you down if you don't do anything erratic, like slam on your brakes or swerve violently. If you don't mind towing someone, it's a great way to make friends, he should really have asked first though, at least a "Hey, do you mind if I sit on your wheel for a while?" I think ebikes allowing road riders to draft would go a long way in mitigating the hostility actually.

There are simple hand signals that are important for the safety of the riders behind you. I happened to follow a professional cyclist and he was making hand signals in front of me and I did not understand what he was doing. One time he made a hand "shower" gesture to his left, indicating rough surface (unsafe) and at the same time I passed him on that very same surface that he pointed to. He must have thought that I was a jerk. Good thing I was riding a full suspension ebike at that time.

This may happen to you that somebody wants to draft behind you or you may happen to follow a group of cyclists. It's wise to at least know the hand signals so everybody will be safe.

I've picked up a few drafters in the last couple of weeks and don't mind pulling. But I haven't had anyone rub my wheel yet.

I think Nutella is right about good will.. I feel less like I'm cheating around roadies when I help them out. :)

but you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

I also picked up a drafter today and he followed me for 4 miles before he gave up. He let me know that he is following behind me. I had to be careful not to make any sudden brakes or sudden turns. This was really a very strong cyclist. My display was registering 800 watts (more like 600+ watts at the motor) and I was reaching 28 mph!

Back