Gearing Swap - Suggestions

Saf

Ok. So I swapped my chainring to a 52t and my freewheel to an 11-32t. The derailler is maxed out on tension. What would you all do to fix/remedy the solution. I’m not a pro but I love to mod.

new derailer - short or long?
New chain?

suggestions please. A picture says a thousand words.

Attachments

• 1D62DEE5-E037-4D72-8EF5-15A663232ED3.jpeg
    1D62DEE5-E037-4D72-8EF5-15A663232ED3.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 829D0480-82E3-4FBD-9DA6-8803385C3D80.jpeg
    829D0480-82E3-4FBD-9DA6-8803385C3D80.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 342
Not sure why you did both. The freewheel alone should have been enough. If you want to experiment, why don't you get a short piece of chain and some master links?

I did both to maintain a strong first gear for hills and get a better 7th (11t) for speed. I’m running out Of pedal when I was just on the chainring. Chainring was replaced after an accident.

If I add a few links, how straight should the derailler be? 90 degrees or?

thanks!

I did both to maintain a strong first gear for hills and get a better 7th (11t) for speed. I’m running out Of pedal when I was just on the chainring. Chainring was replaced after an accident.

thanks!
You need more chain. Assuming clockwise rotation, 90 degrees would be fine while on the 32t, but you should also measure for slack when on 11t.

Make a long chain. Then use a piece of coat hanger to connect links and test tension at different lengths on 11 and 32.

You'll find a sweet spot and that's where you connect the missinglink or install a pin.

Last edited:
I am curios what the

thanks!
What was the final outcome as to the performance, once you got the chain added.

I am curios what the

What was the final outcome as to the performance, once you got the chain added.
Performance was better than I expected it. I do feel the 34t was overkill maybe 32t would be better, and not 10 links... maybe 7-8 would be ideal. I’ve had the chain come off once and due to a large bump.

Performance was better than I expected it. I do feel the 34t was overkill maybe 32t would be better, and not 10 links... maybe 7-8 would be ideal. I’ve had the chain come off once and due to a large bump.
You don't need to change the length of the chain at all. That is why your chain comes off. I have done this swap to four Lectric bikes without the chain being lengthened.. everything is in line and the chain doesn't come off..

The only issue since I made my freewheel swap is the chain jumps to another gear but I believe that is just a derailer adjustment. The chain was fine and I have not heard anyone else need to lengthen their chains. I did hear that if you change the crank assembly you might need to lengthen the chain.

The only issue since I made my freewheel swap is the chain jumps to another gear but I believe that is just a derailer adjustment. The chain was fine and I have not heard anyone else need to lengthen their chains. I did hear that if you change the crank assembly you might need to lengthen the chain.
Yes..sounds like a minor adjustment.

Back