Gazelle vs Trek Verve+ 3

Rileylt

Region
USA
My husband and I are getting our 1st e-bikes. We are in our low 60s and will ride on paved trails and roads. We have done many test drives and the bikes that have felt best to us so far are the Gazelle Ultimate t10 and the Trek Verve+ 3. I have read many reviews and they both sound great...but we don't have the knowledge to know if one is better than the other. The Gazelle is about $700 more but not sure if that translates to the quality being better. If anyone has any insight, we would really appreciate it! Thank you!

off hand the gazelle has a performance motor so more torque for better climbing. but I would compare it to the allant 7 then you get more torque on the trek and you can add a second battery better shifting and braking on the gazelle.

Both are quality bikes. If your planned rides are in relatively flat terrain, climbing doesn't matter much. Which bike is more comfortable for you? Which dealer (LBS) do you like better? Which has better service?
Once you start looking at quality name brands, the differences become very personal. Rather like "should I buy a Honda CRV or a Subaru Forester?"

Thanks everyone. I went to another shop and they recommended the Gazelle Arroyo C7 or C8. Those bikes aren't in stock yet but should be soon. It looks to me like they are more comparable to the Trek Verve+ 3 that I was also considering. Both the Trek Verve+ 3 and the Gazelle Arroyo have the Bosch Active Plus motor while the Gazelle Ultimate T10 I had been considering has the Bosch Performance motor. We live in a relatively flat area but plan to travel and want to be able to do hills. Do you think we would be okay with the Active Plus motor? We are in decent shape and don't mind working a little but definitely want the bike to be able to do it's part! :)

Your ability to do hills depends as much on gearing as on your motor. Note though that neither motor you're talking about comes close to the torque of the performance line speed on our bikes. Of your choices the performance line has more torque and more assist when you want it, but not by a huge margin.

Go for C8 has better gear range for climbing. The Ultimate C8 is only $200 more and comes with belt drive, riding position is little more sporty which may or may not work for you. From maintenace point of view both bikes are same, enclosed chain or belt drive are about as low maintenance as it gets.

Activeline Plus 50nm with 8spd hub will climb anything you are likely to encounter with ease, more powerful Performanceline 65nm motor will just do it quicker. Given it leisure riding not commuting over hills speed isn't an issue. The derialleur on more powerful T10 will need regular lubing and cleaning. C8 enclosed chain needs lub once every 2-3months and doesn't care to much if you forget. Beltdrive is maintence free bar odd tension (adjust screw) every few months.

Last edited:
Dont know if you two made your purchase yet, but I was in the same boat, looking for an E-Bike. I narrowed it down to the Gazelle and Trek Verve +3. Gazeeles are pretty rare in the C7 / C8 category at our LBS in Bend, Or. The Trek is pretty hard to find, too. Ultimately, I test rode a Verve+3 and fell in love with it. It pedals, very easy, without the motor or PAS being on. The gearing is well spaced through the 9 gears and does an effective job. Turn on the PAS and it works quite well. The street in front of my house has a 1 mile grade that I have never been able to make it up with my regular bike, that had 27 gears. First time out, with the Trek, piece of cake between various stages of pedal assist and gearing. The bike is comfortable (for me) handles well, has a good upright position. Also, Trek has a 30 day, no questions asked guarantee. You don't like it, bring it back. Overall, very satisfied with my Trek. And, i am older than you, with a bad knee and hip starting to bother me and this has not angered either one, so far.

Dont know if you two made your purchase yet, but I was in the same boat, looking for an E-Bike. I narrowed it down to the Gazelle and Trek Verve +3. Gazeeles are pretty rare in the C7 / C8 category at our LBS in Bend, Or. The Trek is pretty hard to find, too. Ultimately, I test rode a Verve+3 and fell in love with it. It pedals, very easy, without the motor or PAS being on. The gearing is well spaced through the 9 gears and does an effective job. Turn on the PAS and it works quite well. The street in front of my house has a 1 mile grade that I have never been able to make it up with my regular bike, that had 27 gears. First time out, with the Trek, piece of cake between various stages of pedal assist and gearing. The bike is comfortable (for me) handles well, has a good upright position. Also, Trek has a 30 day, no questions asked guarantee. You don't like it, bring it back. Overall, very satisfied with my Trek. And, i am older than you, with a bad knee and hip starting to bother me and this has not angered either one, so far.
Thanks for this great info! My husband and I ended up going with the Trek Verve +3 bikes, too! And we are very, very happy with them. I agree with everything you said, including that they are easy to pedal on flat grade without assist and that they handle hills really well. They are perfect for our needs!

Back