Gas Prices Getting You Down? Get An Ebike!

Solarcabin

Region
USA
Ebik Gas Sign Collage.PNG

I have a country store about 10 miles from my cabin and I ride my Ebike there just about every day doing 30mph. That is the Ariel X 52 volt and has a 40 mile range. No gas., no license and no registration required and I get some fresh air and exercise.

Ebikes Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB37o1pgLXU
Ariel X Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaBDBEhhfA
Solar Charger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnWE41uuhwM
Channel: www.youtube.com/solarcabin

I am almost 60 with bad knees and bad back and I can ride all day on that Ebike with no pain and no strain and feel great. I live off grid and recharge my Ebike with just a 200 Watt Solar system.

View attachment 126526

I have a country store about 10 miles from my cabin and I ride my Ebike there just about every day doing 30mph. That is the Ariel X 52 volt and has a 40 mile range. No gas., no license and no registration required and I get some fresh air and exercise.

Ebikes Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB37o1pgLXU
Ariel X Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaBDBEhhfA
Solar Charger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnWE41uuhwM
Channel: www.youtube.com/solarcabin

I am almost 60 with bad knees and bad back and I can ride all day on that Ebike with no pain and no strain and feel great. I live off grid and recharge my Ebike with just a 200 Watt Solar system.
Very cool, I feel that joy too when I go by a gas station for 5 bucks per gallon on my ebike or even think how much it costs to fill up gas in a large truck that passes me on the road. Very cool website, I would love to get some land here in Illinois or Wisconsin and put a solar cabin on it for long weekends!

Just thinking thru the numbers. $1500 ebike is 300 gallons of gasoline or about 7500-9000 miles of driving. Yeah, I guess you break even in a year, if your climate allows year round use, and if your commute is safe for a bike. Not to mention the health benefits.

My annual 3000 miles is all riding for fun. I looked at my old workplace commute. While bike path now covers four of the 8 miles, and residential streets has three more miles, the last half mile is along a 45 mph road with no shoulders. Still too deadly.

Cheapest gas here AFAIK is currently in Smokey Lake, AB. at $1.64/lt or $4.78/gal US.

Problem is our winters here are long can be cruel and getting around by car is essential for most residents. Good on you for doing what you do but I’m afraid that would be a hard sell during the brutally cold winters here in oil country.

We don’t drive as much anymore but still rely on a vehicle to transport our bikes to our favorite riding areas which can be miles away. Like you and @harryS, I personally love the aspect of riding for the health benefits and taking the time to view the surroundings up close which you wouldn't be able to from a car.

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!
Preaching to the choir. I gave up motor vehicles in 2008. My lawnmower uses gasoline, about a gallon every 6 weeks. When electric lawnmowers come without $120 patented batteries, I might buy one. The battery on my bike is generic, fits any diy kit.
Trying to figure a way to replace patented batteries on my three battery brush saws. Source of those batteries dried up along with solder in everready nicad cells. New Dewalt saw for the new new all new $70 patented batteries is $299. Do I look stupid? A 12 v 2000 w to 120 vac Renology inverter is $400. My 1800 W AC Sawzall is 10 years old & working fine. I'm trying to figure a way to mount the inverter and a 55 amp alternator on my 16 hp riding mower now. (the deck is worn out & won't cut johnson grass, tne motor new). And a suitable deep cycle battery. No marine stores here, I'm 1000 miles from the Gulf & 180 miles from the Great Lakes. *****ng lead acid batteries sulphate every winter when I don't use them for 6 months. Don't think lithium 12 v batteries could produce 190 amps the inverter requires. Can't let lithium freeze in the winter, and hauling a 60 lb battery to town in September & back in May on a bicycle would be a ****. Electricity at the summer property is not reliable unless I live there to call the elctric company when it fails. Lost the water line that way 20 years ago, heat tapes are no use if the electricity goes out. Solar installation out there would just be hauled away by the guy that steals all the tractors & rips the copper wiring out walls of of vacant houses & community centers. My obsolete 1976 trailer has aluminum wiring.

Last edited:
I'm a believer that gas SHOULD be expensive - we've been hiding the true cost for way too long. We could easily institute a system where those who can't afford it could receive vouchers for a specific amount of gas per month - the US military does that for folks stationed overseas already. We could subsidize fuel efficient cars. Not even talking about the heavier but necessary shifts in urban design and increased public transportation (yes, I know not everyone lives where public transportation makes sense, but, many more people DO).

Anyway

We drive a Prius, I ride my ebikes, all is good 😉.

Last edited:
Just thinking thru the numbers. $1500 ebike is 300 gallons of gasoline or about 7500-9000 miles of driving. Yeah, I guess you break even in a year, if your climate allows year round use, and if your commute is safe for a bike. Not to mention the health benefits.

My annual 3000 miles is all riding for fun. I looked at my old workplace commute. While bike path now covers four of the 8 miles, and residential streets has three more miles, the last half mile is along a 45 mph road with no shoulders. Still too deadly.
An ebike probably won't help much if your work is a long commute on dangerous roads but most people in the US commute less than 15 miles and if they only did it a few times a week it would still be quite a bit of savings.

I agree we definitely need to make roads bike friendly with bike lanes so people can use these as transportation. Charging hubs for ebikes would also be nice.

Cheapest gas here AFAIK is currently in Smokey Lake, AB. at $1.64/lt or $4.78/gal US.

Problem is our winters here are long can be cruel and getting around by car is essential for most residents. Good on you for doing what you do but I’m afraid that would be a hard sell during the brutally cold winters here in oil country.

We don’t drive as much anymore but still rely on a vehicle to transport our bikes to our favorite riding areas which can be miles away. Like you and @harryS, I personally love the aspect of riding for the health benefits and taking the time to view the surroundings up close which you wouldn't be able to from a car.
I hear ya there and in winter I can't ride the ebike most days. I hope to at least offset my winter gas use by using the ebike all summer.

From what I am seeing more people are c
I'm a believer that gas SHOULD be expensive - we've been hiding the true cost for way too long. We could easily institute a system where those who can't afford it could receive vouchers for a specific amount of gas per month - the US military does that for folks stationed overseas already. We could subsidize fuel efficient cars. Not even talking about the heavier but necessary shifts in urban design and increased public transportation (yes, I know but everyone loves where public transportation makes sense, but, many more people DO).

Anyway

We drive a Prius, I ride my ebikes, all is good 😉.
From what I have read more people are choosing ebikes over EVs because of cost and not having charging at home/apartment for an EV.

I am off grid with just a small solar system and I would love an EV truck but at least the ebike can be charged and gets me around most places I need to go.

Back