Do you pedal or just ride full throttle? Now Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My usual way of pedaling is to start off and find the right gear (weather conditions/blowing winds pending), then when I hit a challenging section, I'll turn on the display and go to Eco 1 step, when I have cleared the section where I was using the electrical boost, get out of Eco1 and start pedaling as usual, until the next area I need some slight help, as I am pedaling a 100#'s of bike/gear and my average speed is 10-15mph, per my Garmin GPS.

You yourself said, "it is basically a moped or motorcycle". So other than being a humorless dolt, why are you arguing about this?

And this thread doesn't belong to you.

TT
I said at those higher speeds the pedaling had no resistance and asked people that had suggestion for solutions.

Most people here understood that and have said a larger main crank might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with @tomjasz and @Tars Tarkas on this one. @Solarcabin You are simply not riding a legal electric bike - not legal anywhere. Not that I care in particular, but you're basically riding a moped with useless crank-based pedals.

For the record you're also not cheating, because you're not riding an electric bicycle! If you were asking this question about a class 2 (20mph throttle) E-bike, then it would be worth a discussion.

Agree with @tomjasz and @Tars Tarkas on this one. @Solarcabin You are simply not riding a legal electric bike - not legal anywhere. Not that I care in particular, but you're basically riding a moped with useless crank-based pedals.

For the record you're also not cheating, because you're not riding an electric bicycle! If you were asking this question about a class 2 (20mph throttle) E-bike, then it would be worth a discussion.
OMG man!

Do you live everywhere and know the laws everywhere?

I live out in the country where we have lots of dirt road and off road trails where there are none of your laws for speed and not everyone is stuck in your city and I will bet 90% of the ebikers on here do not stick to that 20mph limit that you want to enforce to make yourself feel better.

In fact I will start a post and ask people here if they agree with your opinion that you are not riding an ebike if you ride faster than 20mph.

Here you go and feel free to state your opinion over there:

I reread the entire thread and I didn't find where anyone, elitist or otherwise, said if you are riding over 20mph you are not riding an ebike.

Again, in your first post to this thread you said "(your) bike is basically a moped or motorcycle".

I'm not going to do it for you, but you might also want to check the regs in your area. Just because you are out in the country or on BLM land doesn't mean there aren't e-bike and other vehicle regulations in place. That you get away with things doesn't make them legal.

TT

Maybe next time don't try to gang up on other ebikers on EBR and you won't get called out.

The Ariel X I ride is designed for on and off road hard trail riding where your low power light weight ebikes would struggle and likely fall apart. Not everyone rides paved bike trails and city streets. Some of us need stronger, better built more powerful ebikes.

Have a great day!
I also live in a very rural area. My township, large as some counties in some places, has no traffic signals, retail establishments or a police force for that matter. Lots of dirt roads, farm tracks and trails too.

I think the reason people are telling you that your bike is not an ebike is because you can get the health benefits you seek from an ebike, but you probably can't from a moped.

I want the assistance and I need to keep fit, I'm in a race with the grim reaper who will eventually win, but right now I'm in the lead😉

The topic is way more complicated than a larger chain ring. To get the most benefit from your effort you won't get there with that style of bike. I'm also a motorcycle guy so I do think your bike is cool!

Issues :
  • Q factor
  • Seat height for proper leg extension
  • Width of seat for best cadence
  • Body core position over the cranks
  • Shoulder and arm extension to the bars
  • Width of bars
  • Gearing
Some of these issues are about efficiency, some are about joint health and safety. I'd like to see you get the health benefits you seek. I believe you'd be wasting your time and money trying to do it with that bike. That doesn't mean I think its trash or that you should get rid or it. Maybe adding another bike to the stable is the answer.

I also live in a very rural area. My township, large as some counties in some places, has no traffic signals, retail establishments or a police force for that matter. Lots of dirt roads, farm tracks and trails too.

I think the reason people are telling you that your bike is not an ebike is because you can get the health benefits you seek from an ebike, but you probably can't from a moped.

I want the assistance and I need to keep fit, I'm in a race with the grim reaper who will eventually win, but right now I'm in the lead😉

The topic is way more complicated than a larger chain ring. To get the most benefit from your effort you won't get there with that style of bike. I'm also a motorcycle guy so I do think your bike is cool!

Issues :
  • Q factor
  • Seat height for proper leg extension
  • Width of seat for best cadence
  • Body core position over the cranks
  • Shoulder and arm extension to the bars
  • Width of bars
  • Gearing
Some of these issues are about efficiency, some are about joint health and safety. I'd like to see you get the health benefits you seek. I believe you'd be wasting your time and money trying to do it with that bike. That doesn't mean I think its trash or that you should get rid or it. Maybe adding another bike to the stable is the answer.
As for your other suggestions:

The Ariel X fits my leg length just fine.

That ebike is pedal assist and other people have said a larger main crank would change the pedal resistance.

I am not new to ebikes or bikes or motorcycles and have been riding mountain bikes and motorcycles since I was 15.

As I said: I wish there was a way to set the ebike settings to just the amount of pedal resistance you want to get some exercise but still ride at full speed.

Is there an ebike like that and if not maybe someone should design one?

I was asking about ways to increase pedal resistance possibly through a programming tweak or as a design suggestion for ebike makers and to start a discussion.

The whole point of an E bike is to peddle. IF someone just wants to throttle the whole way there's lots of electric dirt bikes that can be purchased for a similar price.
It is called peddle assist.

As I said: I wish there was a way to set the ebike settings to just the amount of pedal resistance you want to get some exercise but still ride at full speed.

I was asking about ways to increase pedal resistance possibly through a programming tweak or as a design suggestion for ebike makers and to start a discussion before the trolls decided to take it off the rails.

You might want to learn the ebike laws:

I agree, there should be a setting where there's a way to easily keep the bike at maximum speed while peddling. Like, if I reduce peddle assist to 2 or 3, I get good resistance, but then I'm down to 23-25mph. That can be changed to be 28mph at PA2 or 3. But I don't know the technical way to accomplish such a thing.

Last edited:
Thanks but they were not trying to be helpful and they were obviously trolling and claiming if your ebike went faster than 20mph it wasn't an ebike and they got called out for it.

As for your other suggestions:

That ebike is pedal assist and other people have said a larger main crank would change the pedal resistance.

I am not new to ebikes or bikes or motorcycles and have been riding mountain bikes and motorcycles since I was 15.

I was asking about ways to increase pedal resistance possibly through a programming tweak or as a design suggestion for ebike makers and to start a discussion before the trolls decided to take it off the rails.

Those trolls are intentionally trying to run people off EBR that don't ride the same ebikes they do and EBR should look in to that.
Torque sensor pedelecs assist in a much more refined way. They sense your effort and respond with more speed. Very much like any bicycle does. That's what many people want and expect from an ebike.

To achieve what you want at high speed you need a motor drive system that's completely detached from the bike's gears. You would set a speed with the bike's controller, much like a cruise control. Then on the bike choose whatever gear that gives the resistance you like while pedaling. The pedaling wouldn't have anything to do with propulsion. I really don't see a very big market for such a machine.

Maybe look into a fitness stationary bike for exercise. I once had a stationary bike where you dialed friction pads for resistance on a weighted wheel. The bike obviously didn't move, but I got resistance for exercise. Seems to be the idea you're describing.

Best of luck!

Those trolls are intentionally trying to run people off EBR that don't ride the same ebikes they do and EBR should look in to that.
since your sitting on a banana seat hard to ever know what is the right length. the problem is your bike came with crappy gearing. 48t chainring and 14x28 chainring. way to high for wedding going up hills and way to low for going fast. 46-48x11 is about the min you need for anything over 25 these bikes are not geared for actual peddling for much of the travel speed and the seat makes it impractical for serious peddling.

It is called peddle assist.

You might want to learn the ebike laws:

Your controller should allow you to adjust down your assist level and YES, most all ebikes with hub drives allow you to do that. Did you get any instructions with the bike or did you buy a cheap bike from China that came with nothing? The manufacturer should be able to help you or try an internet search.

That said I agree with those here saying that you bought a moped with pedals attached. Your claim that it can keep up with a real mid drive mountain bike on rough trails is inaccurate.

Your controller should allow you to adjust down your assist level and YES, most all ebikes with hub drives allow you to do that. Did you get any instructions with the bike or did you buy a cheap bike from China that came with nothing? The manufacturer should be able to help you or try an internet search.

That said I agree with those here saying that you bought a moped with pedals attached. Your claim that it can keep up with a real mid drive mountain bike on rough trails is looney.
Lol. the fallacy of consensus and no most are not saying that and just another mid drive rider that thinks his ebike is better than chain drive.

Like I said- I was challenged by a guy on a mid drive the other day so I took him up the mountain trail I ride all the time and he was eating my dust the whole way until he snapped his chain half way up the mountain. Something mid drive ebikes do a lot.

I will bet more than half the parts on your ebike are made in China or some other country.

Come on- what kind of ebike do you ride?

The amount of resistance you want still might not be any exercise. If you're looking for strength training, the resistance will have to be significant. You can get that on a bike or ebike. If you want cardio to strengthen your heart and improve blood flow you'll need to spin kind of fast and have resistance. You can get that on a bike or ebike as well.
After covid19, I can get my heart rate up to 168 bpm at 2 mph uphill. Four flavors covid, 19 151 days of fever, delta 51 days, omega 1 day, BA5 13 days. Each one slowed me down more. Even with the throttle full on on a 500 w motor, long 10% grades can make me stop and pant because heart rate is too high. Sometimes two rest breaks. That with sprockets at 32:28, 40 lb groceries. It is possible to heal age 72, I've knocked 20 minutes off my time over 26 miles 66 hills this summer. 3.7 hours no power pre covid, 5.7 hours with power this May.

Elitist. After covid19, I can get my heart rate up to 168 bpm at 2 mph uphill. Four flavors covid, 19 151 days of fever, delta 51 days, omega 1 day, BA5 13 days. Each one slowed me down more. Even with the throttle full on on a 500 w motor, long 10% grades can make me stop and pant because heart rate is too high. Sometimes two rest breaks. That with sprockets at 32:28, 40 lb groceries.
Wow, happy that you are recovering and still riding!

No covid but after 3 knee surgeries left me with no ligament I had to give up pedal bike riding and heavy motorcycles. I was very happy to get an ebike and be able to ride again but I would like to increase the pedal resistance while keeping that higher speed. I am also hitting 60 real soon.

Some people say a bigger main crank will do that so that is what I will probably try.

So after getting some help from another Ariel X rider he said a larger crank set would definitely increase resistance and he and others are using this one:

60T 170mm Crankarms 130 BCD Fixie Crankset for Single Speed Bike, Fixed Gear Bicycle, Track Road Bike (Square Taper, Black)​

crank.PNG

If you are experiencing the same problem and want more pedal resistance on your ebikes that may also work for you and I have ordered one and will report back if that helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back