Garmin Varia on a helmet using Apple Watch app (ARadar).

Vewlix

Region
United Kingdom
Has anyone tried either mounting a Varia radar on a helmet or used the Apple Watch app Aradar that allows you to use the Varia on your watch?

It would help free up my iPhone display when on my bike and be a great addition when riding my electric unicycle (highly recommend trying one as it’s so much fun, akin to flying or floating along and they fly up steep hills faster than an ebike).

Has anyone tried either mounting a Varia radar on a helmet or used the Apple Watch app Aradar that allows you to use the Varia on your watch?

It would help free up my iPhone display when on my bike and be a great addition when riding my electric unicycle (highly recommend trying one as it’s so much fun, akin to flying or floating along and they fly up steep hills faster than an ebike).
I have questions. So many questions.

I thought you could only use the Varia radar with either your phone or those old fashioned Garmin/Wahoo handlebar computers but I saw an app on the Apple Watch store that allows you to bypass those and solely use the watch.

I was hoping someone had tried the app as I didn’t want to purchase it and it is useless in daily use.

As I use two different types of personal electric transport I also though it might work out easier to attach the radar to my helmet as I only ride them on country lanes not busy roads which is ideal for the radar but unsure of the effectiveness on a helmet when riding an ebike, on an electric unicycle it should be fine as I stand looking forward all the time.

And both modes of transport are fun and compliment each other. An ebike is more practical when having to transport multiple heavy items that can’t fit into a backpack and a small electric unicycle you can put in a backpack and take anywhere you can’t take an ebike, it has also let me explore more of the countryside trails as I am able to lift it over fences and navigate small gaps.

I thought you could only use the Varia radar with either your phone or those old fashioned Garmin/Wahoo handlebar computers but I saw an app on the Apple Watch store that allows you to bypass those and solely use the watch.

I was hoping someone had tried the app as I didn’t want to purchase it and it is useless in daily use.

As I use two different types of personal electric transport I also though it might work out easier to attach the radar to my helmet as I only ride them on country lanes not busy roads which is ideal for the radar but unsure of the effectiveness on a helmet when riding an ebike, on an electric unicycle it should be fine as I stand looking forward all the time.

And both modes of transport are fun and compliment each other. An ebike is more practical when having to transport multiple heavy items that can’t fit into a backpack and a small electric unicycle you can put in a backpack and take anywhere you can’t take an ebike, it has also let me explore more of the countryside trails as I am able to lift it over fences and navigate small gaps.

i don’t think the radar would work all that well when it’s constantly moving around on your body. even if you just turned to the side, the “position” of the objects in the field would change rapidly. on the bike it’s fixed and always aligned with the direction the rear wheel is pointed, which i’m sure if how it was designed to work.

the watch app sounds cool. i don’t use my apple watch while riding - it’s not well positioned to be seen while on a bike - but i could see maybe for casual use it would make sense.

i’ve also never seen a varia on a onewheel - it would definitely have to be on some sort of vertical post or bracket.

I'd check what type of electromagnetic radiation the Varia emits before I strapped it close to my head.

The varia picks up any metal moving sideways or towards, over a hemisphere to the back. Totally useless in any urban environment. 90% false alarms. On a helmet would probably pick up metal fences or parked cars when you turned or moved your head. I dismounted the display from my bicycle and use the varia as a $187 taillight. Pretty useful as that, battery still okay after 4 years.

The varia picks up any metal moving sideways or towards, over a hemisphere to the back. Totally useless in any urban environment. 90% false alarms. On a helmet would probably pick up metal fences or parked cars when you turned or moved your head. I dismounted the display from my bicycle and use the varia as a $187 taillight. Pretty useful as that, battery still okay after 4 years.
you must have been using it wrong.

live and work and ride in downtown san francisco, presumably more urban than anywhere in indiana, and the varia is extremely useful. it only registers objects moving towards you from the rear, which are by definition not false alarms …

the varia is extremely useful. it only registers objects moving towards you from the rear, which are by definition not false alarms …
I agree. A very useful safety device.

Being metal has nothing to do with it. People, walking or running, towards the rear of the bike are also detected.

I have no experience with the Varia mounted on a helmet but have used it on a rear-facing backpack pocket and it works just fine through the fabric. This is how I used it prior to putting a Garmin mount on my electric scooter.

I have no experience with the Varia mounted on a helmet but have used it on a rear-facing backpack pocket and it works just fine through the fabric. This is how I used it prior to putting a Garmin mount on my electric scooter.
that’s good to know! it seems like the warning light would be much less visible through the fabric though, no?!?

you must have been using it wrong.
You push the button long once, the red light & radar turn on. Push short, it blinks high & low. push short again, it blinks off then two short on. Push long again, it turns off. There is a button on the display, long push turns that on and off. Short push on that button when on turns the beeper on or off.
My radar was mounted on the extreme back of the bike, since the seat post frequently has cargo laying behind it. I have it on a vertical post made of 1/2" plastic pipe. About 6" below the top of the child rack, 20" above the road. Pointed directly rear & horizontal if that was not obvious enough.
It picked up cars approaching a 4 way stop from the side, two blocks back. Incredible danger, that. It picked up lawnmowers in people yards. It picked up trucks in the fast lane on I65, through a chain link fence and 400' to the side. Yeah, those are extreme danger to bicyclists. Not. It picked up cars in the 3rd lane on In Ste 131, when I was on the sidewalk.

that’s good to know! it seems like the warning light would be much less visible through the fabric though, no?!?
For sure, but the radar function is still functional if that’s the main thing that a user requires. 👌🏾

when riding my electric unicycle (highly recommend trying one as it’s so much fun, akin to flying or floating along and they fly up steep hills faster than an ebike).
Anyone riding that should go to jail. And not discuss it in an e-bike forum.

Back