front suspension - aftermarket?

rudym

I have a TREK super commuter 8S and I would like to add a body flow seat post and some type of front suspension to it to smooth out my ride.
Ideas that will work ?
Resources ?

I have a TREK super commuter 8S and I would like to add a body flow seat post and some type of front suspension to it to smooth out my ride.
Ideas that will work ?
Resources ?

I am sure you're an experienced cyclist. Any suspension would change the steering dynamics (often make it slower) and adds weight and extra maintenance.
On a bike like Super Commuter, you could just run the Super Moto at 30psi and have a great ride. The tire has dual layered "Green guard" compound and is fairly puncture resistant. You only need to run higher psi in the rear.

The beauty of SC is the nimble, light feeling that comes with a carbon fork. You not only add weight with a suspension, some of the quick steering effect diminishes. If you don't care about those, there are some suspensions made by Suntour and DT Swiss that could be used but you're looking at ~ $500 upgrade and in my mind it is simply not necessary.

Try Body Float first and you will find that it is more than enough esp when couples with a nice, big tire upfront.

I am sure you're an experienced cyclist. Any suspension would change the steering dynamics (often make it slower) and adds weight and extra maintenance.
On a bike like Super Commuter, you could just run the Super Moto at 30psi and have a great ride. The tire has dual layered "Green guard" compound and is fairly puncture resistant. You only need to run higher psi in the rear.

The beauty of SC is the nimble, light feeling that comes with a carbon fork. You not only add weight with a suspension, some of the quick steering effect diminishes. If you don't care about those, there are some suspensions made by Suntour and DT Swiss that could be used but you're looking at ~ $500 upgrade and in my mind it is simply not necessary.

Try Body Float first and you will find that it is more than enough esp when couples with a nice, big tire upfront.
@Ravi Kempaiah - ok I will try it tomorrow 7/14/18 and see how it goes... gotta find a body float.

I have a fat bike with 3.5 inch tires and it had an entry level Mozo front fork. I replaced it with a rigid one and it handles, IMO, much better and braking on hills is considerably more stable.

I don’t like disagreeing with my friend Ravi but I won’t own a bike with out a suspension post. If at any point you could test one is the best choice. I bought a Stromer st2 and ordered the suspension post at the time. I wouldn’t ride the bike until it arrived I rode my wife’s st1 until it was on when I could. I have Thudbusters and Body floats , they are great but they are not a replacement, they work with IMHO. I will admit that I would like a full suspension bike even more. Long rides 100 mile or more make sore back sides which contact the seat

Looking at the SC+ 8s, it doesn't look like it was designed with front suspension conversion in mind; the axle to crown distance looks rather short. If you do add suspension, you probably shouldn't go more than 100mm, otherwise than handling will change rather radically.

RedShift makes a suspension stem, and recently announced a suspension seatpost which you can pre-order.

For 85 dollars, I bought a suspension stem, Gripfast, on ebay. My girlfriend liked it, so I bought 2. It raises the handlebars an inch and a half but we wanted a more upright position anyway. Smooths out the front end great.

The internet criticizes suspension stems for losing the tight instant response of a bike. It's like if you get on car forums, the enthusiasts want to take the cushion out of car with stiff, low shocks and springs so one can whip it to and fro. Maybe when I was 20 I thought that was a good idea. Now a little cushion means I feel like staying out longer.

I have Super Moto X 2.4's. I run them at 30 front, 32 psi rear and it feels like a magic carpet compared to my road bike on 25C @ 80 psi tires.

I have Super Moto X 2.4's. I run them at 30 front, 32 psi rear and it feels like a magic carpet compared to my road bike on 25C @ 80 psi tires.
7/14/18 an all is well reduced the front to 30 psi and back to 45 psi. Didn't seem to affect speed to much. My ride into work is fairly tame with two good descents at 31.5 mph... asphalt seemed fine with the pressure and I didn't feel squirrely.
Going home today will be the real test since I have to do all kinds of crazy stuff and ride on a variety of surfaces to stay out of mainstream traffic as much as possible.

The biggest jolt I ever see on a bike is coming off my driveway. I've put in some low end suspension forks on several bikes, and I know they're not for off-road, but they work fine for riding in street and bike paths. I don't think I would dare ruin the balance of a production ebike by doing this. Adding a longer suspension fork changes the handling a bit, adds weight, causes the kick stand to be too short, etc, but it does result in a more comfortable ride if you're cruising.

Back