FREY AM1000

Ukjames

Region
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone, new member here so sorry if you've already seen similar posts!

After months of searching and what I need in a bike I've rounded it down to the Frey brand.

I'm a bit nervous about what sites to trust and would rather go with a uk supplier and I came across this site https://urbanebikes.com/products/am1000?variant=42115374317805 bike comes with 2 years warranty. Anyone dealt with them?

I mainly want the bike for casual bike rides and the odd off road use. I recently went up a steep hill on my rear hub wheel bike and nearly had a heart attack 😂 so that to

Could you please tell me your experience with the bike and the pros and cons of it please? It's alot of money for me and need to make sure it's the right decision.

Also how's the mileage on a single charge on average , wind,. Power ECT?

I've also seen this 🤔 https://www.frey.bike/products/savannah-hybrid-ht1000

Any help and information would be most welcomed, thanks and have a great day ☺️

I suppose that you are aware that a bike with the Bafang Ultra motor is highly illegal to operate in the UK? If your hub motor isn't working for you there are many other options available in a mid drive format that will be more economical and energy efficient. I have a bike with the same motor and while it is very powerful it isn't that good on range because of the former.

Once past the legality question, my advice would be, if you aren't already familiar with it, would be to know and understand the difference between a UART based motor and a CANbus motor, and be darn sure which you are talking about when ordering.

As far as battery range, I have a 19.5ah battery, and a UART based (early) motor with the FREY "Smooth" tune installed. My usage sounds similar to yours with mostly on road/hard pack surfaces. I would need to add a lot of rolling coastal hills to that, and the fact I'm a little over 300lbs. That's the long way around to the point that I average well over 30 miles on a charge, frequently making 35 or more.....

As my butt only has a range of 20 miles or so on a good day (I'm 71 years old), I consider the mileage pretty good. Plenty for me anyway.

I suppose that you are aware that a bike with the Bafang Ultra motor is highly illegal to operate in the UK? If your hub motor isn't working for you there are many other options available in a mid drive format that will be more economical and energy efficient. I have a bike with the same motor and while it is very powerful it isn't that good on range because of the former.
Thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware of the laws, but want a throttle with it as I've athriutis in my heel, so at least I can go out and get some fresh air 😊
I've seen this version https://www.frey.bike/products/voyager-hybrid-m600 maybe that would suit me better?

And to be honest with you I won't use the bike for speed, I'll be going around 15/20 mph and probably use the juice for big hills!

OK I get it. I like having a throttle also and why I am using the Bafang system. You would be well served with a bike with the M600/500 or even M400 as they also allow for throttles and would give you enough power to climb those hills. Not sure if a 160mm FS bike wouldn't be overkill for your needs unless you are into hard core trail riding? Otherwise you will save weight and cost with a hardtail type bike somthing more like this.

Last edited:
OK I get it. I like having a throttle also and why I am using the Bafang system. You would be well served with a bike with the M600/500 or even M400 as they also allow for throttles and would give you enough power to climb those hills. Not sure if a 160mm FS bike wouldn't be overkill for your needs unless you are into hard core trail riding? Otherwise you will save weight and cost with a hardtail type bike somthing more like this.

Are frey.bikes a reliable website from your knowledge? And thank you for the advice

I have never personally dealt with Frey so I can't comment. There is a Frey sub forum on here that you may have visited that should provide info on their reliability. I do know that it does take a good amount of time from ordering to delivery with the Asian based manufacturers like Frey? I will probably be wintertime before you see a bike from them.

I have never personally dealt with Frey so I can't comment. There is a Frey sub forum on here that you may have visited that should provide info on their reliability. I do know that it does take a good amount of time from ordering to delivery with the Asian based manufacturers like Frey? I will probably be wintertime before you see a bike from them.
Yeah that's why I wanted to go with the uk supplier for this bike https://urbanebikes.com/products/am1000?variant=42115374317805 two years warranty and it's cheaper than what Frey is.
Just a couple questions if you don't mind answering- when you pedal does the motor go harder the faster you pedal, not like a rear hub where it just gets going? I'll probably only average 12 mph on it anyway so I should get a decent range out of it?

Are frey.bikes a reliable website from your knowledge? And thank you for the advice
I bought a Frey CC a couple of years ago off of their website and they were great. They did almost everything I asked in advance short of programming throttle to work from a dead stop. The bike arrived in perfect shape and I never had one problem with it. It was just a little too heavy for this 65 year old...

You only average 12pmh on your hub bike but my money is that if you get a Ultra motored bike that average speed will increase. But certainly the less power you use the further you will go. And it is not so much the faster you pedal with a torque sensing system as the Ultra uses it is more about putting more force into the pedals that will make it go faster and the mode of assist you are in vs the terrain in front of you.

You only average 12pmh on your hub bike but my money is that if you get a Ultra motored bike that average speed will increase. But certainly the less power you use the further you will go. And it is not so much the faster you pedal with a torque sensing system as the Ultra uses it is more about putting more force into the pedals that will make it go faster and the mode of assist you are in vs the terrain in front of you.
One of the main problems I have with my current rear hub ebike is that I struggle to get up the hills to visit friends and family and I don't seem to have the battery range my riding group does, which leaves me out from going on some rides, any way I have a guy phoning me from the shop tomorrow to discuss the bike I. Linked at the top, so will see if it fits in with what I need and want! Thanks

Frey will launch a new mid-drive ebike with the newest Bafang M510. If you haven't made your purchase yet, could keep one eye on it.

Back