Frey AM1000 motor fail

Mobe1957

Region
USA
My am1000 motor will no longer engage. Display looks normal, when I engage walking mode it shudders and stops. Email sent to frey, no response. Any ideas?

Sounds like it might need a new controller.

How much time have you given for a response from Frey?

If your bike is still within its warranty period they should sort it out for you.

Might also be worth cross posting this to the Bafang forum in case others can help diagnose the issue.

My am1000 motor will no longer engage. Display looks normal, when I engage walking mode it shudders and stops. Email sent to frey, no response. Any ideas?
Seems you have started off on the wrong foot. Changing out a Bafang motor on a Frey AM 1000 is not hard. I've done it. Just watch some you tube videos on how to do it. You can buy a new motor from California E-Bike. There is no real warrantee on Chinese ebikes. Although I do not go along with the 'alarmism' of indianajo above ( Frey is a pretty good company ) The problem is the huge lag dealing with China. If Frey had a US presence it would be different. But they don't.

FWIW, FREY put me in touch directly with Johnny at Bafang when I had an issue. The 2 year warranty on motor is proved by Bafang (not FREY).

Uh, there is a warranty with Frey and Bafang. No less than California E-Bike.
Well I meant ‘practically speakinng’. I should have said that. Actually I am surprised you could get a warranty fix on a bafang motor since there are so many ways to cook one, short one out or just beat one to death.

Mine was a sinple wiring harness failure and replacement but if the motor fails Bafang should fix or provide a new motor or controller if under warranty.

If you are out of warranty and need a new motor I would not buy a replacement from anyone but Watt Wagons. Pricey but worth every penny for the upgraded controller and they warranty it themselves.

Mine was a sinple wiring harness failure and replacement but if the motor fails Bafang should provide a new motor or controller if under warranty.

If you are out of warranty and need a new motor I would not buy a replacement from anyone but Watt Wagons. Pricey but worth every penny for the upgraded controller and they warranty it themselves.
Learned something today. 👍 👍

Last edited:
@reed scott, When you talk of swapping the motor on a hub drive your are talking of removing the core, correct? Not re-lacing the spokes? That does seem simple enough. Just pulling the torx head screws from the cover, and pressing out the old core and pressing in the new. That would make a two-hour job into a twenty minute job. Cool.
I had one this week that I couldn't repair. It arrived dead. I installed a new controller as requested. But the hub-drive would only run for five second intervals before shutting down. It was a rear torque sensor bike. That part was clean and adjusted correctly.

Last edited:
@reed scott, When you talk of swapping the motor on a hub drive your are talking of removing the core, correct? Not re-lacing the spokes? That does seem simple enough. Just pulling the torx head screws from the cover, and pressing out the old core and pressing in the new. That would make a two-hour job into a twenty minute job. Cool.
I had on this week that I couldn't repair. I arrived dead. I installed a new controller as requested. But the hub-drive would only run for five second intervals before shutting down. It was a rear torque sensor bike. That part was clean and adjusted correctly.
Hey, I don't know nothin bout no hub drives. 🤣 The guy has a Frey AM 1000 and that's a Bafang Ultra. 👍 I have seen Kyle of Bolton E-bikes do what you describe however in the opening segments of his videos. 🤣 I think.

Got it. It seems like 90% of these are hubs and I could not tell by the intro with so many brand sand rebrandings. Thanks.

Got it. It seems like 90% of these are hubs and I could not tell by the intro with so many brand sand rebrandings. Thanks.
The Ultra \ g510 \ m620 is the largest mid-drive motor available on prebuilt ebikes: ~1000W nominal, 1440W peak, as shipped by Frey.

Bafang also makes an m600 which is like the cute little bro.

Both have pretty good torque sensing, IF it gets set up properly! (Neither Bafang nor most prebuilt bike sellers seem inclined to calibrate the torque sensor before shipping; the expectation is probably that a shop/pro should do so, after final assembly & fitting.)

Sorry to necro this 6 month old thread, but did you ever get your AM1000 rolling again?

A fellow AM1000 rider wants to know!

Frey put me in touch with Johnny Qin. He is the authorized bafang repair shop. I pulled the motor and sent it to him. Received it back in less than a week. No charge. Only thing is now I can use throttle from stop without applying pressure to torque sensor.
I like it!
Would love to set up our other am1000 this way.
Very impressed with the whole process.

If he mentions how you can configure the other AM1000 to also apply throttle when starting from 0 MPH & 0 cadence, that's something a lot of m620 owners have struggled with.

Ours came from Frey with throttle from 0 working fine; yet some others received bikes configured like your other AM1000, with throttle from 0 disabled.

I get that the EU has some ill-implemented "safety" regulations, but wow is that one dumb. No reason anyone anywhere else should suffer the same.

Back