Freewheel to Rear Hub Motor Install Troubles

SQN

So I just got my rear hub-drive kit in the mail today. I'll be posting more about that in the Dillenger forum, but I'm stuck on something more basic. Could use some help.

My kit came with a 9-speed rear cassette that was not installed on the wheel. Seems like it ought to be a really simple thing to install - literally place through axle, then screw on.

Here's my problem. I don't have the correct freewheel remover tool which I thought was necessary to also tighten the freewheel. So at first, I just tightened it by hand gently. At that point, the freewheel would spin backwards just fine, as you'd expect.

Unfortunately, I then proceeded to tighten it more, again by hand. Now, it doesn't freewheel backwards. Seems like it is on there too tight. Maybe or maybe not related, but the distance between the hub motor case and the largest ring on the cassette is so close that it does not seem possible that the chain could fit on that ring

I think it just needs to be loosened up, but I'm not sure. I've never worked with these parts of a bike before. I have a chainwhip took, but without the freewheel removal tool, I can't get this cassette off.

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sqn

Cassettes and freewheels are different constructs and the cassette has a lockring at the very top which requires its own tool to loosen so you can remove the cog set or individual gears; one of the advantages of cassette hub construction over free hub. Your chain whip will work great once the lockring is removed. Usually, hand tightening is adequate and general riding provides the rest of the snugging. In some cases you may need a spacer for proper chain alignment, which may be your issue here. Is it possible that your chain was meant for a different number or fewer of gears? If so, a simple solution, which will also extend the life of your cassette, would be a new 9-10 speed chain. If you get stuck, check with your local bike shop--let them know what the original setup was on your bike and what came with the new kit; they may also recommend a new derailleur to match the chain if your original setup was for a lot fewer gears.

@SQN
You don't have a 9 speed cassette, unless Dillenger made some recent upgrades.

You most likely have a freewheel, and based on the fact you said you threaded the gears onto the hub, you most certainly do.

Here's a nice article and pics of what a freewheel and a cassette and their hubs look like... Note that on a cassette the ratchet mechanism is on the hub.

What probably happened is that you cross threaded the freewheel onto the hub.

To remove it you will need a freewheel remover, and there are many different ones.

Suggest you take it to your local bike shop. They should have the correct tool, and you'll know which one to buy.

Have them check the hub and freewheel for damage.

Thanks, JoePah.

You are absolutely right. I was using the term incorrectly, and I've updated the title of the post accordingly. Thanks for helping set me straight on that!

This kit is using a freewheel, not a cassette. It turns out that there was a spacer that was supposed to go between the hub and the freewheel before screwing on the freewheel. No directions included, so I wouldn't have ever known that.

Also, it does have a 9-speed freewheel. I actually received two kits from Dillenger because the first one was damaged. I haven't returned the first one yet. Somehow, they sent two different freewheels - one a 9-speed and the other a 7-speed. The 7-speed is labeled Shimano, but I have my doubts that it is really made by Shimano. The 9-speed is made by DNP (http://www.dnp.com.tw/pro2.asp?ID=1&tmpEdtion=english)

I've had to go out and purchase a custom freewheel removal tool (from www.electricrider.com) that has a larger inner hole that can fit over the axle. That should arrive later this week, at which point I can remove the freewheel, insert the spacer, screw it back on not so tight, and hopefully move on with the installation.

Amazing how something so seemingly simple could turn into such a fiasco!

Attached are a couple of pics...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That freewheel removal tool is a standard Park Tool with a thin wall, available from many sources! We've used that for years in the shop; very handy and durable. If you have access to a vise mounted on a solid surface, put the freewheel tool in there (carefully!) and place the wheel over the tool working it into place then use the leverage of the wheel to loosen the freewheel. Less strain on you and less likely to strip threads. Do put some lithium grease on the threads before re-mounting the spacer and freewheel. At some point this will all need servicing or replacement and without grease the metal has a tendency to lock up and be very hard to remove.

@SQN YW. I had the same problem with my BMC motor. Bought the standard shimano removal tool then had to drill it out for the larger axel.

Before you install the freewheel again check to ensure your chain will fit that 9 Speed freewheel. Chains come in different widths.

I have that shimano freewheel and it works just fine.

LBS drilled out a freewheel removal tool for me to fit. It's hardened steel so tough to drill without the right bit. Charged me $10

so would it be possible to drop the motor out of a Bafang rear hub motor originally with cassette, could I drop the motor into a freewheel casing both are 175mm both are Bafang you see the new motor came with cassette but my original motor has a freewheel so I hope I can just take the inner motor out and drop it into my original casing a.ny help please

Back