Free app provides safer micro-mobility specific GPS navigation for e-bikes

Google Maps are excellent for public transport in large European cities (for instance) but can totally fool you on a bike ride. Bike paths yes. Bike route planning = a no-go. YMMV.

Google Maps are excellent for public transport in large European cities (for instance) but can totally fool you on a bike ride. Bike paths yes. Bike route planning = a no-go. YMMV.

You can choose Biking as a route direction, instead of Driving...and it will route out bike paths and friendly streets, although the timing may be off because they factor in a 'regular bike', not a ebike.

IMG_2540.PNG

I agree the feature is there (I'm a subscriber).
However, I use Mapy.Cz (Android app, not sure for iPhone). It is in English, covers the whole civilized world, offers offline maps, selects safe road-bike or MTB routes, weather forecast, elevation profile, and is free. Strange no American or Canadian wants to use it...

See also: https://en.mapy.cz
I’d never heard of Mapy. I just download and checked it out. It looks very good, with some interesting features. Yet another app to fill my phone. Thanks for the recommendation.

However, I use Mapy.Cz (Android app, not sure for iPhone). It is in English, covers the whole civilized world, offers offline maps, selects safe road-bike or MTB routes, weather forecast, elevation profile, and is free. Strange no American or Canadian wants to use it...

Never heard of it before... downloading...

I know. Works badly outside known bike paths.
I agree that it’s not much of a help overall. In my area, besides the MUP, there are many bike lanes and most of the sidewalks are legally MUPs as well, so I have found it useful for planning shopping trips. Going places that are not usually found in a recreation focused app. For example, to go to my preferred LBS, Ride with GPS showed a route where there are lots of giant trucks going to and from a quarry plus having a very steep hill. Not terrible, but a bit scary.

Google showed me an alternative route that was just a tenth of a mile longer, but much safer.

You can choose Biking as a route direction, instead of Driving...and it will route out bike paths and friendly streets, although the timing may be off because they factor in a 'regular bike', not a ebike.

View attachment 79928
I find Google maps useful for route estimation but it can make hilarious and tragic mistakes. It is undeniably a source of useful information.

What I do, Lee, is:
Since Strava recorded ride map is really poor, I export it to GPX (requires a Strava subscription). Then I import it to Mapy.cz.
Just compare:
1615245085516.png

Strava ride map.

1615245188214.png

Strava GPX as imported to Mapy.cz. You can even create a 3D view!

For some strange reason, I am not able to create any Google bike routes for Czech Republic. I asked friends and they told me about Mapy.cz. Very good (and free) stuff!

I just downloaded Mapy and it looks great for my purposes... Thanks Stefan!

For some reason, you cannot make bike routes of Czech Republic with Google Maps if you are staying in Poland. Friends recommended Mapy.cz to me, and I've become a believer :)

For some reason, you cannot make bike routes of Czech Republic with Google Maps if you are staying in Poland. Friends recommended Mapy.cz to me, and I've become a believer :)
I actually tried this out months ago when you mentioned it in another thread. Good software, but it told me what i already knew about my area ... that you can't get anywhere safely on a bike.

Back